Amscope objective on old Leitz Laborlux ...

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Joe Henry

Amscope objective on old Leitz Laborlux ...

#1 Post by Joe Henry » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:33 am

Other than parfocal issues would I likely experience any other problems if a put a AmScope PA20X-INF 20X Infinity Plan Microscope Objective on my 1950's Leitz Scope...(it does take 170mm normally) ... Thanks, Joe.

Topcode

Re: Amscope objective on old Leitz Laborlux ...

#2 Post by Topcode » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:37 am

Using an infinity optic on a 170mm scope will a) have a different magnification and NA then as labeled b) be improperly corrected c) almost definitely not plan anymore. It is very very not recommended to mix tube lengths.

J_WISC

#3 Post by J_WISC » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:52 pm

I wish to share some limited, but potentially important experience here. I tried to fill in some magnification gaps on older microscopes (1940s or 1950s) and quickly learned a newer objective, same magnification, might be significantly physically longer than an older objective. And there isn’t room to swing it into position, the stage will not go low enough to accommodate it.

So beyond finite and infinite, and striving for parfocal setup, there are potential mechanical limits. Check this before spending too much, especially if an item is difficult or impossible to return.

Joe Henry

#4 Post by Joe Henry » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:24 am

Thanks for the replies...does this mean I will have to bite the bullet and pay the high dollar price on these old Leitz Objectives?

Alexander

#5 Post by Alexander » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:23 am

With some patience they are found for little money. Plus they are much better than any cheap Chinese stuff.

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:30 pm

Joe Henry wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:24 am
Thanks for the replies...does this mean I will have to bite the bullet and pay the high dollar price on these old Leitz Objectives?
You didn't mention whether your objectives are 37mm parfocal or 45mm parfocal. Leitz used both for their 170mm tube microscopes. I'm pretty sure the changeover came with the need for plan optics. Generally speaking the plan objectives are more expensive but they require specific eyepieces. The non plan 37mm parfocal objectives use different eyepieces again. There were for instance 3 different Leitz 10X periplan eyepieces with each corrected for a specific objective series. Leitz are the most difficult microscopes to add off brand objectives to.