What is the diference beetween a Splan Apo and Neo Splan NIC??

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Andruşca

What is the diference beetween a Splan Apo and Neo Splan NIC??

#1 Post by Andruşca » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:36 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to microscopy (I got an Olympus BH2-BHS) and after some research, I found that the best image quality you will achieve is with SPlan Apo's.
But recently I discovered the Neo Splan ( the ones labelled with NIC on the barrel) and after reading about it, the most conclusive I found about these objectives ( ...they offer superior optical performance...).
I know that the standard Splan Apo fits on my BH2 and that a Neo Splan NIC (has 26mm dim and requires the prisms).

Ignoring the accessories required that you need to use the objectives and prices, which one will give you a better image quality a SPlan Apo or a Neo Splan NIC?
Also, on the Neo Splan NIC, I read that they are used for metallurgy. Can they be used for pond life observations or only for metallurgy?

Regards,
Andrie

Scarodactyl

Re: What is the diference beetween a Splan Apo and Neo Splan NIC??

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:57 pm

The neo splans are meant for looking at opaque subjects with nothing transparent on top of them. That matters less at lower magnifications, but at higher magnifications you will get bad results looking at pond life.
In terms of optical quality, when set up with the correct optics (an extra lens is needed compared with normal finite objectives from the series) they have very good color correction and a wide field, similar to mplanfl fluorites in Olympus's next series.

deBult

#3 Post by deBult » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:40 pm

I found that the best image quality you will achieve is with SPlan Apo's.
Please be informed the “front lens - to - sample” distance of the Olympus SPlanApo series is (very) short (starting with the 20*), so a bit risky in beginners hands.

I love my 20* SPlanApo (actually have 2) but use it most of the time in a “normal” SPlan or DPlan set.

The standard Achromats served me well the first 30 years of my micro journey.

In addition the “wider” view of the SPlan - compared to the DPlan or standard achromats - is only accessible when using the “wide” Bino/Trino head.

And if you ever aspire to move into DIC: the Olympus BH2 DIC set was designed for the normal SPlan series, not the Apo variant.

YMMV though.

Andruşca

#4 Post by Andruşca » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:38 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:57 pm
The neo splans are meant for looking at opaque subjects with nothing transparent on top of them. That matters less at lower magnifications, but at higher magnifications you will get bad results looking at pond life.
In terms of optical quality, when set up with the correct optics (an extra lens is needed compared with normal finite objectives from the series) they have very good color correction and a wide field, similar to mplanfl fluorites in Olympus's next series.
I understand. I am asking because I own a nose turret with DIC prisms for 26mm diameter objectives.

Andruşca

#5 Post by Andruşca » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:03 pm

deBult wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:40 pm
I found that the best image quality you will achieve is with SPlan Apo's.
Please be informed the “front lens - to - sample” distance of the Olympus SPlanApo series is (very) short (starting with the 20*), so a bit risky in beginners hands.

I love my 20* SPlanApo (actually have 2) but use it most of the time in a “normal” SPlan or DPlan set.

The standard Achromats served me well the first 30 years of my micro journey.

In addition the “wider” view of the SPlan - compared to the DPlan or standard achromats - is only accessible when using the “wide” Bino/Trino head.

And if you ever aspire to move into DIC: the Olympus BH2 DIC set was designed for the normal SPlan series, not the Apo variant.

YMMV though.
I have no problem with the “front lens - to - sample” distance, I am very cautious.
This is the microscope I own ( Dplan objectives).

I will try DIC later on.

Thank You for your help.

deBult

#6 Post by deBult » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:58 pm

Looks like you have the standard Trino head not the wide version: so no advantage in the wider view when switching from DPlan to SPlan objectives.

Looks like you have the SC flip top condensor: so max useful objective NA is in the 0.9-1.0 range, and no immersion capability: SPlanApo’s starting with the 40* have a high NA. To max out the SPlanApo’s you are considering: the AplanatAchromat condenser is recommended.

The current condensor is perfectly matched to your current DPlan objectives (except for the immersion ones, spotted a 50* oil?).

Andruşca

#7 Post by Andruşca » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:37 am

deBult wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:58 pm
Looks like you have the standard Trino head not the wide version: so no advantage in the wider view when switching from DPlan to SPlan objectives.

Looks like you have the SC flip top condensor: so max useful objective NA is in the 0.9-1.0 range, and no immersion capability: SPlanApo’s starting with the 40* have a high NA. To max out the SPlanApo’s you are considering: the AplanatAchromat condenser is recommended.

The current condensor is perfectly matched to your current DPlan objectives (except for the immersion ones, spotted a 50* oil?).
Thanks you for the tip about the head because I was about to change it because it got damaged in transport(right eye piece holder was bent and I had to use pliers to open it up, the eyepiece went in abit forced).

With the objectives, I have a 10, 20, 40, 50 oil and 100oil. I wanted to change them because they are dirty and I think they are scratched as well.

I will look for a condenser as well, im not fussy about oil at the moment. Sticking to normal observations.

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:15 am

Just wondering if that is an iris equipped 100X objective and if that frame might have once had a DF condenser in it at times. That is often the main purpose of the extra illumination capacity when fluorescence isn't a factor.
At any rate, 100 watts gives you high resolution DF capacity and if your 50X oil is ,85 or lower that is prime for DF.

Regarding the objective N.A. when using a dry condenser. The condenser doesn't work like a shutoff valve, limiting the N.A. of the objective to that of the condenser. Rather, it is a combined effort, so a dry condenser working at .90-.95 ( seldom higher) and a 1.25 N.A. oiled objective in combination, yield an effective N.A. of around 1.13 or thereabouts.
Condenser N.A. is illusory when the condenser is a poorly corrected type like an abbe, because it's N.A. is only true on axis and a small distance off axis. Once spherical aberration takes control of the condenser lens system a little ways off axis, the N.A. falls off like a rock off of a cliff. That's why companies began offering dry aplanat achromats in earnest in the 80's. . Their peripheral N.A. is better than that of an oiled 1.25 abbe and a 1.25 abbe aspheric is superior to either, offering a wider field of a higher N.A. when oiled and is pretty even with an achromat aplanat when dry. It's an excellent inexpensive alternative to the difficulty encountered when trying to source a 1.3 or 1.4 achromat aplanat, which don't work the best when dry either. Paying for and using a high N.A. achromat condenser dry is about as logical as buying a row boat and using it on your lawn.

Andruşca

#9 Post by Andruşca » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:40 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:15 am
Just wondering if that is an iris equipped 100X objective and if that frame might have once had a DF condenser in it at times.
The 100x objective is a regular one. I don't know about the DF condenser.
What you see in that photo is what I got.

thomasfrank

#10 Post by thomasfrank » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:31 am

For most biological observations on your BH2-BHS, Splan Apo objectives would be the better choice due to their superior image quality and ease of use. Neo Splan NIC objectives excel in DIC microscopy,Wordle Unlimited but this technique might not be necessary for all your pond life observations.

deBult

#11 Post by deBult » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:20 am

Thanks for clarifying how objective N.A.- condensor N.A. relation, Apo.

Scarodactyl

#12 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 am

thomasfrank wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:31 am
Gpt nonsense with hidden link
Reporting this bot's posts doesn't seem to work. I feel like I repoeted on a year ago too.