Several choices of microscopes; what's your opinion?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
jackieone

Several choices of microscopes; what's your opinion?

#1 Post by jackieone » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:33 pm

If you have a moment, take a look at these, make any comments (yea or nay) that might help me make a decision! Thanking you in advance!

From reading on this forum, it appears the B120 series and the M620 series are the same microscope, which a representative at Amscope agreed. I can't get a real answer on the actual dimensions and weight, though, so that's interesting!

The B270 pretty much follows the majority of specs as the B120 and the M620.

The newest of this assortment is the B490 series. I see that this also has a 1.4 watt LED, which is great (vs. the 1 watt LED which I found too dark).

On binocular versions, I will be planting a camera into an eyepiece tube, so having the extra wide field eyepieces doesn't matter to me.

Amscope B490 (basic, no camera): https://a.co/d/3wM9tmn

and here: https://amscope.com/products/c-b490-led ... 8546945199

Amscope 270 (basic, no camera): on Amscope site only: https://amscope.com/products/c-b270

Amscope M620 (basic, no camera): NOTE: both M620A and M620B look identical to me, except one has only 1600X and the other 2000x and the 2000x is $30 less expensive : https://a.co/d/4HZxuTE

Amscope B120C (basic, no camera): https://a.co/d/0f8aeYv

Amscope B120 (basic, no camera): https://a.co/d/5fjsK6b

imkap

Re: Several choices of microscopes; what's your opinion?

#2 Post by imkap » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:43 pm

I came here with a similar question a while ago, got the advice to get a used one. Bought an old Zeiss with a lot of accessories (objectives, eyepieces) and never looked back, after that I got few more. Some I kept some passed on or sold... (Still have the first one)

Maybe someone on the forum has something nice (in good working order) to sell. You can post a question in the BUY/SELL section.

As for the ones you linked I think a binocular is better, as it is by far more comfortable. The more light the better, although 1.4W doesn't seem very powerful, but should be enough for brightfield. 20x eyepieces are unnecessary.
Some forum members made great footage with entry level Amscope.

jackieone

#3 Post by jackieone » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:41 am

@imkap - thanks for your input. I'm not going to use the eyepieces to look through, I'm only going to attach a camera and view everything on a laptop. Therefore, monocular or binocular works the same for me LOL! About the light: the previous microscope I had was a Swift SW350B, and at 40x, the background was quite dark. It was annoying; and thinking about how to make it lighter (iris, etc.) just took away from the whole discovery experience. That was a 1 watt LED. So when I discovered they have brighter LEDs, I was interested.

I spend most of my time on the Pictures section of the Forum, and I am WOWED! The skill needed to get such amazing footage...the knowledge and experience...it's great. I'm not at the level where I can go over budget, but I do want something that will show me the beauty out in micro land.

So, I'm back at the drawing board...

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:05 am

Hi, jackieone, are you located con-US? I have excellent 160mm/finite SteindorfBerlin with trinocular head, with illumination setup. very low cost+ shipping. Other scope setups too , Olympus/Tokyo CKa inverted microscope with illumination setup...$120+shipping, other scopes too. I also can supply microscope slides, coverslips, pipets. I need to clear my cluttered microscope study. all the best, charlie g/ fingerlakes/US

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:03 am

charlie g wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:05 am
Hi, jackieone, are you located con-US? I have excellent 160mm/finite SteindorfBerlin with trinocular head, with illumination setup. very low cost+ shipping. Other scope setups too , Olympus/Tokyo CKa inverted microscope with illumination setup...$120+shipping, other scopes too. I also can supply microscope slides, coverslips, pipets. I need to clear my cluttered microscope study. all the best, charlie g/ fingerlakes/US

I only ‘know’ charlie g from postings here … but that offer sounds like a game-changer to me

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

imkap

#6 Post by imkap » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:32 pm

I agree, the offer is very friendly.

Just need to trust Charlie g more than Jeff Bezos or AmScope :)

I bought a lot of stuff from forums, some I wasn't even active in. And never had a problem...

jackieone

#7 Post by jackieone » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:48 pm

@charlie g - I sent you a private message, re: this thread. If for some reason it didn’t go through, let me know. It’s just so long, I didn’t want to post it on here. Thanks!

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:03 am

Actually, if I get up real high on a ridge, which around here is about 100 ft.above the lake and look south with a good high power telescope I can see Charlie G. puttering around his yard and throwing sticks for his dog to retrieve. After the leaves are off the finger lakes's Riesling vines in the fall, and I don't have to peer through them anymore , I can even see the clutter through the highly poetic window of his microscope study. Help him jackieone. His dog will thank you.

jackieone

#9 Post by jackieone » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:15 am

@apochronaut - LOL! Great visual! (still chuckling...)

charlie g

#10 Post by charlie g » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:44 pm

Hi, jackieone...as apochronaut knows from when I mailed him a vintage: "Ortho-Illuminator'"..the silent gorilla in the room is: shipping costs.

Are you located con-US, jackieone? all the best, charlie guevara who when at St.Lawrence river cottage..well I can just about shoot a fireworks rocket up over the river..and apo might see it!
Attachments
DSCN2423.JPG
DSCN2423.JPG (180.78 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

jackieone

#11 Post by jackieone » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:22 am

@charlie g - What a view! Wow! I'm in southern Utah, so not abysmally far from your location.

If you could, PM me dimensions, information, weight, all the good stuff and let's talk.

I'm guessing you read my "detailed" PM so you know where I'm at, microscope wise.

I'll wait for your PM.

charlie g

#12 Post by charlie g » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:39 am

Will get back to you with PM, jackieone. Your con-US, so if I can send you a scope pkg., it's sensible shipping cost. charlie g/ finger lakes NY

charlie g

#13 Post by charlie g » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:40 am

jackieone wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:48 pm
@charlie g - I sent you a private message, re: this thread. If for some reason it didn’t go through, let me know. It’s just so long, I didn’t want to post it on here. Thanks!
Cheers, jackieone, I replied to your PM..please post in forum your microscopy objectives to have forum folk advise you. Forum folk and forum threads are your best gambit, before purchase of over-priced achromatic stands.

Always welcome for querries...don't spend the duckets, until you know what microscopy enjoyment you wish to embark upon. please use this forum, rather than PM's for advice. charlie g

jackieone

#14 Post by jackieone » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:45 pm

@Charlie g - Oh! I of course did not read your last post on the forum, and instead I sent you another PM. Sorry 'bout that!

I'm editing this post, because I did even more reading, and I conclude that classic vs newer is really just a matter of taste.

That said, you mentioned a microscope you have for sale, perhaps you could PM the photos, and specifications of that microscope, along with price and estimated shipping cost.

With that information, I can get back to you on this topic.

Thanks!

jackieone

#15 Post by jackieone » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:06 pm

@Charlie g - Unfortunately, the PM doesn't work as well as it should.

Message I sent to you is still sitting in my "outbox" not moving to "sent" section. I emailed the forum guys, but it's the weekend.

Anyway, still hoping to hear from you. Maybe your PM will work better than mine LOL!

charlie g

#16 Post by charlie g » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:56 am

charlie g wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:40 am
jackieone wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:48 pm
Cheers, jackieone, I replied to your PM..please post in forum your microscopy objectives to have forum folk advise you. Forum folk and forum threads are your best gambit, before purchase of over-priced achromatic stands.

Always welcome for querries...don't spend the duckets, until you know what microscopy enjoyment you wish to embark upon. please use this forum, rather than PM's for advice. charlie g
Hi jackieone...keep querries in forum, keep it real. all the best, charlie g

MichaelG.

#17 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:48 am

As a disinterested observer [which is not the same as being uninterested] … I would welcome the open discussion that charlie g has invited.

The forum exists as a learning and information-sharing platform for all of us
… so let’s all see [and perhaps contribute to] the technical aspects, please.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

jackieone

#18 Post by jackieone » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:24 pm

Good Morning!

@Charlie g - I'm interested in details of the microscope you have for sale. If you care to post it here, that's fine with me! Since the PM doesn't work very well, LOL, this may be the only venue. I'd like to see photos, dimensions, specs information etc. and if you have an estimate on shipping to over here, that would be great too.

@MichaelG - it's all good, I just thought since I'm requesting details about an item for sale, PM would be the way to go. I'm still learning, here.

Meanwhile, the garbage pickup guys just took one of my garbage bins, and left a bunch of broken glass in the street for me to clean up.
BUT! I just made the best tea to start the day, and it's going to be a beautiful one.

So, I'll just wait here for future posts.

Thanks guys!