Micronauts…could someone discuss this?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Scoper

Micronauts…could someone discuss this?

#1 Post by Scoper » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:23 am

I have seen Micronauts mentioned several places on the site..could someone discuss this?

Thanks

PeteM

Re: Micronauts…could someone discuss this?

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:35 am

Not much to discuss. It's a local kids' science program I founded a few years ago.

Scoper

#3 Post by Scoper » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:01 am

I complement you on doing this..can you tell us more?

Pictures? Handouts?

How well has it been received? I would have loved having a resource like this as a kid.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:37 am

It's one of my retirement projects. Tom Jones, another member here, does a program along these lines as well. Probably others.

Pretty sure I posted some pictures years ago from one of our events - "Speed dating with microscopes." Held at our local Children's Museum of Discovery. I got about 25 friends and colleagues to set up a scope with a sample. Kids took a few minutes rotating between these folks (the speed dating part) and then spent more time with whatever subjects most interested them.

It was about blood and carbon monoxide for the fire chief, sharp edges for the law professor turned woodworker, a computer chip for the tech entrepreneur, CRISPRed glowing protests for the PhD student, fabrics for the fashion designer, strawberries for the Driscoll's food scientist, chemical crystals for the chemistry PhD, protists for our university's microbiology dept., teeth for the forensic anthropologist (local university chancellor and crime scene investigator), plankton for a marine biologist, a SEM setup, support for the annual county science fair, a couple medical doctors, and so on. I support the library's Lagoon Scientist program, schools, the annual Maker's Faire and River Fest events, and so on. About a hundred scopes donated (bad idea, they don't get much used), maybe a hundred and fifty sold at or below the cost of fixing them up to families and kids (good idea - kids often end up using them every week) -- along with a lesson on use, and lots more either fixed up or in process.