LOMO 40x 0.75 water immersion objective

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
J_WISC

LOMO 40x 0.75 water immersion objective

#1 Post by J_WISC » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:24 pm

Okay!

I've received the Swift W10x 15.5mm eyepieces and the LOMO 40x 0.75 water immersion objective. Both appear excellent condition so far. One eyepiece actually has a reticle for measuring objects; surprise bonus. So far, I've learned I'll have to use the Spencer Research Microscope. The LOMO objective is too short -- correct term ? -- for the Nikon Alphaphot; it is impossible to focus close enough. No problem regarding the Nikon to solve here, but I do have to work on better illumination for the Spencer.

I'm writing for last minute advice or links to information for using a water immersion objective. For example ... Coverslip options and thickness? If there's a coverslip, preferred mounting medium? And ... can I really use it for dipping?! I don't want to damage it.

Thank you for your help and inspiration.

zzffnn

Re: LOMO 40x 0.75 water immersion objective

#3 Post by zzffnn » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:30 pm

I use mechanical adapters and machine washers to raise the stage and the condenser of my Nikon Optiphot, to use with short LOMOs.

The LOMO 40/0.75 can be used with or with cover slip, in either water immersion (with cover slip) or in water dipping (without cover slip). At NA of 0.75, cover slip does not matter too much. The LOMO 40/0.75 was designed with dipping (electrophysiology / patch clamp) in mind, if I remember correctly.

Mounting medium should be water. Oil or glycerine will form image, but likely not as good as water.

apochronaut

Re: LOMO 40x 0.75 water immersion objective

#4 Post by apochronaut » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:38 am

The 40X .75 objective is a pretty good match for a Spencer stand and since it is good practice to lift the objective out of the water vertically and bring the next objective in vertically, almost always accompanied by a water refresh, the 2mm parfocal distance isn't really a problem.
Your best bet for the Spencer # 5 , if you don't need the extra illumination for high rez DF ect. is to get one of those cheap led lights that plugs into the mirror socket. If you do need more illumination, keep your eyes peeled for a high output older research illuminator I used a 5 for quite a while with one of those and the DF was better than 99% of what is posted on this forum.