unmarked long silver objective lens?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
SnowyNW

unmarked long silver objective lens?

#1 Post by SnowyNW » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:45 am

Image What kind of objective is this??

PeteM

Re: unmarked long silver objective lens?

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:53 am

The objective is missing its outer shroud, which would have had the markings. Just guessing from the Nikon turret and the size of the visible lens, I'd guess that it's a Nikon finite objective around (+/-) 10x. It will work without the shroud and it should be possible to figure the magnification either by comparison with known objectives or viewing a transparent printed rule or dedicated micrometer slide. Is the objective next to it, with the yellow band, a 10x? If so, does this one magnify more or less?

SnowyNW

Re: unmarked long silver objective lens?

#3 Post by SnowyNW » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:35 pm

Thanks for the input, yes the yellow banded objective is a 10x. When I try to match the magnification to my other scope's objectives, it looks to be a 40x, and has a phase contrast ring. But when searching for a matching 40x, none of the tips match this one, but instead match the 20x. I was looking specifically at LWD Ph1 ADL objectives, which the yellow is. its gotta be a 40x, what am I missing? Any advice?