Decent microscope for parasitology

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
jagerz

Decent microscope for parasitology

#1 Post by jagerz » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:25 am

Can anyone recommend any decent compound microscopes that will work for searching the fecal matter for parasites (specifically of chameleons). I am more looking for something ~$100 range, but I am up to any recommendations. I found these two, but I am not sure how good they would be.
http://www.amscope.com/compound-microsc ... dless.html
http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-M150C-I-4 ... microscope

Thanks in advance for any advice!

mrsonchus

Re: Decent microscope for parasitology

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:02 am

Hi, well I'm no expert but they are basically the same in terms of their apparent capabilities. The first one looks over-priced to me and pretty poorly manufactured. The second (Amazon) one looks to me to be the better instrument, although they are both very low budget so you must realize that for such a price they will not be superb. However they look pretty good for everyday use with your specimen-types to me, you'll probably be dealing with temporary aquatic mounts?
Great value for money that's for certain.

Good luck. :)
John B

lorez

#3 Post by lorez » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:45 am

If I were to pick one of the listed scopes it would be this one
40x-1000x Student Compound Microscope - LED Cordless
SKU: M200C-LED

This is certainly an entry level microscope that is primarily for junior high school or high school. It will provide the necessary magnification for the parasitology a hobbyist would need.

This is a simple microscope and one should not expect too much from it, but it is of all metal construction in the critical aspects and has a thirty year track record in the above mentioned environments. If you are one who immediately starts looking for upgrades this is not the one you want.

lorez

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:28 am

I've had to repair the first one and the focusing mechanism is very cheap and easily damaged. I would guess that might be the case for most microscopes in that category. The optics on them are only so-so.
If you are going to be looking for eggs, you might consider raising the bar , in terms of price and quite frankly for that kind of money you can get a real microscope, if you buy used.

Charles

#5 Post by Charles » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:30 pm

If you are going to be searching a slide, you may also want a mechanical slide holder instead of just the clips. The mechanical slide will allow you to search the slide a lot easier than moving the slide around with your fingers, especially in higher magnifications.

For $100, you could get a very nice used microscope for the features you need.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:37 pm

Not saying to get this one in particular, and there are risks in buying second hand, but this is a very big step up from what you linked to despite missing an objective.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AO-SPENCER-AMER ... Swo8hTmf0B
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)