AmscopeT490b anyone?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Gasman

AmscopeT490b anyone?

#1 Post by Gasman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi guys
I'm very tempted to go for one of these scopes after watching a few YouTubes on them and reading good things about Amscope. I would be ordering from the UK by Paypal so I have their guarantee should anything go wrong with the shipping etc. Anyone used Amscope and/or one of these scopes please?
Thanks
Steve

einman

Re: AmscopeT490b anyone?

#2 Post by einman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:05 pm

These types of questions always invite a debate.

In my opinion, and I have owned Amscope microscopes, it depends on your budget and intended use. New I believe they sell for about $280. They are a good introductory scope. If you really get into the hobby you will outgrow it.

If you do a search on the forum there are individuals here that have used them and seem happy. Do a search and ask them directly.

If you can afford more and are not afraid to tinker I would suggest purchasing a good used Zeiss, Nikon, American Optical, Reichert, or Leitz. All of which have superior construction and a wide array of accessories.

There is a reason the older scopes continue to demand good prices and have been around for 40 years or more.

Now I will let everyone else weigh in. LOL Let the games begin!!

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:25 am

Einman, "Let the games begin" :) Not the Super Bowl or Summer Olympics yet so just the prelims.

Gasman, I have an Amscope and am very pleased with it although I did upgrade the objectives and added a few additional one; a 20x and a 60x. I also made a few DIY filters that greatly broaden the viewing experience.

I have never looked thru a "Big Three" scope so maybe I don't know what I am missing but I seem to remember reading somewhere amongst Oliver's Buying Advice posts that an observer will not notice a difference between a scope like an Amscope Vs. the "Big Three". Check the Home Page for his buying advice if you haven't already.

Some of the criticism seems to focused on there durability and I must admit the quality control is not as good as it could be. I had to send my first scope back! The second one was fine and the US distributor is very good. Does PayPal offer a satisfaction guarantee and does the distributor in the UK offer guarantees?

JimT

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:07 am

I would have a look at this one, as it is not too far from you. Make him an offer.
Read the link he gives. It would make an excellent first microscope.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watson-Micros ... Sw~bFWM0iH
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

KurtM

#5 Post by KurtM » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:11 am

I see this as a fork in the road one encounters immediately upon setting off on the journey of microscopy as a hobby, indeed, the very first decision to be made: New or used equipment? There are excellent cases to be made for either, but I tend to believe most of us intuitively know the answer right away. If not so sure, then it is our endless delight to enumerate the reasons we have chosen our paths, and have a heck of a fun time doing it. :ugeek:
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

p3aul

#6 Post by p3aul » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:38 am

I bought an Amscope T400b and a camera about 5 years ago from Amscope and have been very happy with it. I just recieved the MU300 camera today(actually yesterday in GA) from Amazon the shipping took about 24 hours! I was pleasantly surprised! popped the disk in and 5 minutes later I was viewing blood cells on my Monitor. I like most Amscope products but I prefer to order through amazon IF the screen says "Sold by Amscope and fulfilled by Amazon". Less hassle that way and you are guaranteed a hassle free return.
Paul Microscope: Amscope T400b Camera: Amscope MU300
Telescope: Orion xt6 classic Dob, Zhumell z10 classic Dob

Gasman

#7 Post by Gasman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:35 am

Thanks for the excellent advice guys,appreciated :) .
The more you look into it they do seem pretty identical all these scopes and I have read that they are all made in the same factory but with different badges on ,Amscope,Bresser,Radical,Apex etc etc. Guess it will pay me to wait a while and see what comes up. I hesitated too long on a nice Brunel sp100 on ebay the other day and lost it but more to come hopefully. I think I`d like a trinocular type to experiment with my dslr but if the right bino type came up!. Still can`t decide between a stereo or a compound either and even an inverted one came up which looked a nice one too. I suppose with some sort of top illumination a compound could be used like a stereo maybe??
best
Steve

einman

#8 Post by einman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Having owned Amscope models as well as the Big 5 (I prefer not to narrow it to 3) The primary difference lies in:

1) The Amscope objectives tend to have poorer color/contrast but good resolution
2) Construction is poorer but we aren't gorillas so if handled properly should last years
3) Accessories such as DIC, Apo, Fluor objectives made specifically for Amscope do not exist. However- if it is 160 TL and correct me if I am wrong I believe the T490B is 160 TL you can use DIN objectives from teh other manufacturers though for "optimal" performance you may need to use the correct eyepieces.

Amscope does make higher end models and their prices reflect the improvements in the objectives and stand design. In some cases their scopes cost in the thousands of dollars though Big 3 scopes would be several times that.

I have seen some Amscope Models like the T600 series sell for cheap on E-bay. They are "Open Box" items usually.
I have contemplated purchasing one of the open box ones just to do an article comparing it head to head against other older models.

I have also purchased and mounted Chinese objectives and found they vary in quality and generally suffer only in color/contrast and some CA. Apochronaut has examined them extensively. Once again I found them poorer then the older objectives but given the price they were satisfactory for the intended use.

Upgrading to phase-contrast using turrets etc can get expensive. They offer cheaper slider alternatives.

Overall for the money and given you get a new scope that should work well right out of the box you can't really go wrong.

You can always upgrade as time passes. I have seen some phenomenal postings by members here using all manner of microscope and homemade upgrades.

Go with your gut feeling and pocketbook! Either way I am sure you will enjoy the hobby.

einman

#9 Post by einman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:12 pm

By the way here is a very nice Motic a step up from the Amscope T490B.

eBay item number:181982311956

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:36 pm

You have to remember Gasman is in the UK, postage for that Motic from California is:

Shipping:
$89.03 International Priority Shipping to United Kingdom via the Global Shipping Program

Don't know how much the Amscope will cost to ship.

Then there are import taxes!

One of the very real advantages of buying local (read very local) is that you can try it out.
That alone is worth money.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

einman

#11 Post by einman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:27 pm

My mistake. I failed to make that observation!!!

cpsTN

#12 Post by cpsTN » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:23 am

That Motic says "For parts or not working" under condition.
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo
...objectives: 1x, 3x
...EPs: 5x, 10x, 15x

einman

#13 Post by einman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:52 am

cpsTN wrote:That Motic says "For parts or not working" under condition.
Means nothing. I have seen that lots of times. The seller knows nothing of microscopes so lists it that way. However it was a mass purchase from a University and has a 14 day return....