New "European" microscope for hobby... (already answered 2743 times)

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Prakash

New "European" microscope for hobby... (already answered 2743 times)

#1 Post by Prakash » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi all,
well, I'm asking something that was probably asked toooo many times... why? Because I'm still confused, and cannot make a clear choice.

I want to start some experiments, as a hobby, with a microscope.
The people who motivated my choice are near the "soil foodweb" topic, and whichever is your idea on it, I like the idea to verify a bit what is going on in my compost tea, when I areate them or when they are just smelling, or compare some microbes from ancient beech forests, small ponds and so on.

So, after spending quite some time to understand if it was worthwhile, ok, I got the decision: let's buy something!
Now, the basic microscope models suggested are quite cheap, 280€ + something for a very basic trinocular + 100/150€ for a camera. That is great, and maybe I should just begin from here.

Instead, I've compiled a list of "basic" models, from 280€ to 800/900€, as I'd like to have some clearer images, and not to spend time and money in something that will be not good to take some nice photos. Usually I like to buy cheap things, but not the cheapest.

Here is the list: https://pt.pinterest.com/BassoFilippo/soil-microscopes/

Now my big doubts (I'm based in Europe):
  • * What do I get more from a microscope around 800/900€, compared with the 280€ base one? (are some photos available?)
    * Are there other models/brands that I should consider? (<1.000€)
    * Is the quality of the photographs given mainly by the objectives? (so I can in future think to get a better objective on a cheap mic? seems a dream...)
Thank you for patience and service! :D
Last edited by Prakash on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie g

Re: New microscope for hobby... (already answered 2743 times)

#2 Post by charlie g » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:27 pm

I'd consider trinocular head on the scope, bright field, dark field, and phase contrast illumination.

I'd consider purchaseing used scope from a reputable firm. Fungus and bacteria, and all the cryptozoa interact in your compost/soil ecosystems. charlie guevara

Charles

#3 Post by Charles » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:34 pm

Try looking around at Brunel Microscopes LTD, based out of the UK. They have a good selection in various configurations and prices. Contact them if you can, to talk with them directly about your needs, budget and options.
http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/

Prakash

#4 Post by Prakash » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi Charlie, thank you!!!
as always, before the light, the darkness increase... a bit more questions are bubbling up in my mind now... :o
charlie g wrote:I'd consider trinocular head on the scope, bright field, dark field, and phase contrast illumination.
can I get all this in my first microscope, or can I add later, in these basic microscopes?
charlie g wrote:I'd consider purchasing used scope from a reputable firm.
I know you don't want to make any publicity, but can you give me some examples? (if you have, in EU, otherwise if you can write me some examples in US, I can then search here in EU in Google, using with similar keywords...)
charlie g wrote:Fungus and bacteria, and all the cryptozoa interact in your compost/soil ecosystems.
....mmm, so am I in the right direction, right?!?

thank you!

charlie g

#5 Post by charlie g » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:53 pm

Charles has just given you the link, your in good hands to visit the honest and helpful people at that firm.

I start out with the trinoc head...as you will want one...consider buying used microscope from the firm. charlie guevara

Oliver

#6 Post by Oliver » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:55 pm

Some of the microscopes on your list are "traditional" DIN microscopes, others (like the Amscope) is an infinity one. Be aware that the infinity microscopes are not compatible with the DIN 160mm standard and that infinity microscopes use proprietary (=company specific) optics. The choice between infininty and DIN 160mm is a fundamental choice.

The more expensive microscopes use Plan optics etc.
The quality of the photographs depends on a variety of factors. If taking pictures is a primary goal, then I would also go for Koehler Illumination, as this increases contrast (reduction of stray light).

Oliver.
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

Prakash

#7 Post by Prakash » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:43 am

Thank you Charles,
I got quite inspired with the Brunel microscopes, I'll call them for details on Monday!
Oliver wrote:Be aware that the infinity microscopes are not compatible with the DIN 160mm standard and that infinity microscopes use proprietary (=company specific) optics. The choice between infininty and DIN 160mm is a fundamental choice.
Hi Oliver,
I've read this comment on infinity objectives, but the Brunel SP150/SP200 have "Plan DIN standard infinity corrected objectives x4, x10, x20 ,x40 and x100(oil) are fitted as standard.". What does this mean? Are infinity optics, but DIN standards in which sense? DIN Standard Threading 20.1mm diameter? so in this case I can use infinity-corrected objectives from other companies (such as Meiji or others in Ebay)? Actually I see that many infinity-corrected objectives are said to be "DIN standard"; does this means that are interchangeable?

thank you again!

Oliver

#8 Post by Oliver » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:48 am

Hello
"Plan DIN standard infinity corrected
This does not make sense to me and I would recommend that you talk to the company. DIN standard refers to the 160mm standard and 20mm threading. Infinity is company specific.

The issue is a bit complex. While it might be possible that infinity objectives fit on the RMS threads of DIN, they are not compatible optically. Infinity objectivs have a tube lens and this tube lens might or might not correct lens errors of the objective and different companies do this differently. Some use the tube lens to correct lens errors, others have the philosophy to include all the correction in the objective etc. Bottom line is, that even if you are able to make the objectives from other companies fit, they are optically not compatible.

Now, from what I have heard, it is not recommended to buy infinity systems from companies other than the big 4 (Olympus, Nikon, Zeiss, Leica), because the others do not have a wide selection of optics and infinity optics are generally not interchangable (they are proprietary). The second hand market is smaller and smaller companies that make infinity will therefore have higher repalcement part prices. But this is not my experience but what I have heard.

General advice is, that for amateur use low cost Din is perfectly fine and you have plenty of objectives to choose from.

Oliver
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

Prakash

#9 Post by Prakash » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:30 am

Thank you Oliver,
I will call them on Monday and let you know.

It make some sense that they are threads/diameter compatible, and that are not completely interchangeable if the tube lens are correcting optics, while it can be possible to interchange with other optics (both objective and eyepiece) if are more "neutral", that is, just re-focusing the infinity output (sorry for my bad English).

I will ask also how these tube lens behave in regards to other micro techniques, but for the moment I see that they doesn't have good quality 160-DIN micros, and I don't find other similar resellers in EU that uses 160-DIN optics, apart from the Bresser (that it's already 1 week that I'm trying to call, and 1 month that I'm writing them via email without answer).

Still few days to decide.... thank you all!

Prakash

#10 Post by Prakash » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:24 pm

European microscopes....... well, chinese microscopes distributed by a European brand.

I've contacted Brunel, they have a wonderful customer care, very precise and detailed. I'm really impressed.

I'm going to speak also with Bresser to get more infos about the Science TRM 301, just to understand the differences. One thing is funny, they speak in German, but then their English accent is really chinese! :D :D :D

Are there other "honest" brands that are European-based?
(I mean, for hobby/<1k€ microscopes)