Help me pick new guy

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
lqqkey

Help me pick new guy

#1 Post by lqqkey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:22 am

hello all i am looking for a do all scope i made a list of one in my price of $2000 i would like to know what would be the best on to get if i was to pick i would get the e200 please help

Nikon e200
Motic Instruments Ba310
ACCU-SCOPE 3012 Microscope
Zeiss Primo Star HAL/LED Full Kohler Microscope w/ Field of View 20
OPTIKA B-380 Binocular Microscope Series - Automatic Light Control
Olympus CX31 Binocular Microscope

75RR

Re: Help me pick new guy

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:09 am

Hi lqqkey,
that is a wide ranging selection you have there as well as a generous budget.
A little info about your experience in microscopy and what you want to use the microscope for would help narrow the choice a little.
One's location is also sometimes a factor, shipping and import duties can be considerable depending on where you are as is the distance to the supplier in terms of service and assistance.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

lqqkey

#3 Post by lqqkey » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:12 am

well i have had a lomo multiscope and i live near boston ma. i am starting up it as a hobby with a bang i would like one that could do dark‐field later on
fluorescent would be a cool add on too but i am looking for one that will give me the best image that's why a (do all scope) is what 1 am looking for

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:01 am

Hi lqqkey,
Since you have experience of microscopes there is probably not much that can be said to help you choose one,
aside from the big three i.e. build quality, modular design (for future upgrades) and local support.

Someone with more experience might well be able to tell you which of the microscopes you listed is the best in their opinion, but might question your list. In the end the opinion that matters is yours.

If I lived near Boston I would avail myself of the "new/refurbished microscope suppliers" who doubtless exist in the area.
I would visit them, see what they had, play with their scopes, talk service and support and of course prices.

The important thing is to get your hands on a scope (literally) , get a feel for it before you buy.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:12 pm

I fully agree with 75RR: I think he gave you excellent recommendations. You may want to consult the local representatives of the various microscope makers you mentioned and discuss your requirement with them.

lorez

#6 Post by lorez » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:13 am

I've had experience with all except the OPTIKA B-380 and have listed them in the order that I recommend. The Nikon, Olympus, and Zeiss are upgradeable to a degree but are all entry level instruments for the respective companies. The Accu-Scope and Motic models are a couple of the more versatile scopes from these companies. If you want some wide open latitude for upgrading the Olympus BX40, etc. models and the Nikon E400 and E600 are arriving on the used market and are very good microscopes used widely in pathology and general medicine and research. Since you may be shopping on line you will have to be very careful and do your homework but the basics are available within your budget allowance.

Nikon e200 or Olympus CX31 Binocular Microscope
Zeiss Primo Star HAL/LED Full Kohler Microscope w/ Field of View 20
ACCU-SCOPE 3012 Microscope
Motic Instruments Ba310
OPTIKA B-380 Binocular Microscope Series - Automatic Light Control

lorez

BigBadWolf

#7 Post by BigBadWolf » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:17 pm

I am facing the same buying issue next month. So instead of making a new thread and asking exactly same questions I am just gonna say: thank you. You have cleared many "why's" for me and I know what I want now. Very appreciated!

lorez

#8 Post by lorez » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 am

Hello, again.

I did some research regarding the OPTIKA B-380 microscope and found out I know more than I know. This model, while not a bad instrument, is toward the bottom of the list when with the others mentioned. It is a product of China, like everything else, just produced for an Italian company. I do have experience with microscopes sharing common features that carry different brand names but originate in the same factory(s).
My original recommendations remain the same with this scope at the bottom of the list.

lorez