DSLR with Toupview?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Gasman

DSLR with Toupview?

#1 Post by Gasman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:51 pm

Hi guys
Been looking at Toupview after reading posts about how good it is so much so that I've ordered a 5.0 meg Toupcam type camera to use with my microscope but I'd also like to be able to use my Nikon dslr with Toupview if possible but as far as I can see its not possible unless others could advise me of a way please?.
Thanks
Steve

mrsonchus

Re: DSLR with Toupview?

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:05 am

Gasman wrote:Hi guys
Been looking at Toupview after reading posts about how good it is so much so that I've ordered a 5.0 meg Toupcam type camera to use with my microscope but I'd also like to be able to use my Nikon dslr with Toupview if possible but as far as I can see its not possible unless others could advise me of a way please?.
Thanks
Steve
Sorry Gasman I'm afraid I don't know about Toupview with a DSLR - but I certainly know about Toupview with a Toupcam - I use it with my 2mp Toupcam (I'm also going for the 5mp as I suspect this may be as much as is needed - I just can't afford it yet..) for every single one of my pictures taken through my 'scope's trinocular port. You will not regret using Toupview - it's superb.
John B

billporter1456

#3 Post by billporter1456 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:52 am

I am not absolutely certain about this, but I don't believe the Toupview software will recognize your Nikon. I think it works only with their (or Amscope's) cameras.

Oliver

#4 Post by Oliver » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:40 am

I also think that ToupView only works with their own cameras. The software is designed to control the camera and I think that it even has a built in driver which recognizes their own cameras. Also, not all dslrs allow for the live transmission of the image over usb, you might want to download some nikon specific software to do this.
Oliver.
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

Gasman

#5 Post by Gasman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:20 am

Ah! OK I did wonder if it was possible,no probs. I do have some useful tethering apps for my Nikon D5500 which does enable live view on the pc, namely 'Backyard Nikon' and the excellent 'Digicam control'. The Toupcam type I've ordered is I think a rebadged Toupcam off eBay for a really good price so hope it will deliver the goods!.
I'll report back on its use!.
Regards
Steve

Oliver

#6 Post by Oliver » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:39 pm

I just checked the touptek website. If you can install a TWAIN driver for your DSLR camera, then toupview should be able to recognize the camera:
It says: "ToupView software could be used with other cameras, which support Twain or DirectShow interface"
Oliver
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

Gasman

#7 Post by Gasman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi Oliver
Thanks for that. Yes I noticed that option but so far haven't found a way of implementing twain on my Nikon.
I have also managed to successfully compile Micro-manager on a Linux partition I created thinking I could use Gphoto which is supposed to enable dslr's but no luck as yet:-( guess I'll have to wait for my Toupcam!
Regards
Steve