Re DIY polarizing filters

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
wmodavis

Re DIY polarizing filters

#1 Post by wmodavis » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:48 pm

In another thread it was suggested to use a camera screw on polarizing filter such as the HOYA that was shown.
My question (s):

I believe those type filters contain two polarized filters in a rotatable frame and thus to use on a microscope must be separated. Is that true?

If so has anyone had experience dissecting the camera polarizer filters that could offer advice on how to do it with minimal destruction?

Thanks for any input.
Bill Davis
Olympus BH-2/BHS and BH-2/BHT both with trinoc head.

gekko

Re: Re DIY polarizing filters

#2 Post by gekko » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:58 pm

I don't think the usual camera polarizing filter has two filters. The filter is in a frame that rotates relative to the threaded part that goes on the lens, which then allows the filter to be rotated relative to the lens/camera to obtain the desired effect. One point to remember is that most camera polarizing filters sold nowadays are circular polarizers (often called "CPL"). What you want is a linear polarizer (both are available inexpensively on ebay). I hope this helps.

Charles

#3 Post by Charles » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:59 pm

From what I understand there are two types of camera polarizers...circular and linear and both can be used. The circular does have two sheets of film, a polarizer and a 1/4 wave plate. If the circular polarizer is used in one direction where the wave plate is down and polarizer up (where the light hits the wave plate first), you only get polarizing effects. If the circular polarizer is used with the wave plate up (where the light hits the polarizer first), you also get polarizing effects but with the addition of the 1/4 wave plate effects which adds some color.

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:19 pm

What Charles said above is right. The reason why I suggested linear polarizers is that I think they provide better extinction. People add a piece of cellophane or other plastic as a phase retarder, although both JimT and seb Vasselle use basically circular polarizers and get excellent images.

JimT

#5 Post by JimT » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:58 pm

Let me refer you to an easy and "Free" way to add polarization to your scope. Check out the article in the Microbehunter magazine issue 49 below:

http://www.microbehunter.com/microbehun ... -issue-49/

JimT

wmodavis

#6 Post by wmodavis » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:20 pm

JimT wrote:Let me refer you to an easy and "Free" way to add polarization to your scope. Check out the article in the Microbehunter magazine issue 49 below:

http://www.microbehunter.com/microbehun ... -issue-49/

JimT
Thanks Jim for that link. Just read it and it answered another question I posted about whether LED lighting works with polarizing filters. And it seems the article's thrust fits well within my DIY nature. Hoping to be able to be viewing soon.
Bill
Bill Davis

wmodavis

#7 Post by wmodavis » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:28 pm

Was prompted to snoop in the catacombs in the basement caverns below and in an old camera case from bygone years I found two camera lense polerizers. Walla! Now all I need is a microscope and some years of practice.
Last edited by wmodavis on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Davis

billbillt

#8 Post by billbillt » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:32 pm

It won't take you years of practice.. You know the practice and theory of polarization... The rest is simple...

BillT

Interference

#9 Post by Interference » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:36 am

Most camera pols don't go very extinct and do have a colour cast, often blue.
But I see one can buy "Variable neutral density" filters which must be a pair. Perhaps they're better.
Interference