5mb Toupcam first light!

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Gasman

5mb Toupcam first light!

#1 Post by Gasman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:01 pm

Hi guys
Received my little eyepiece sized 5mb Toupcam type camera well it seems a rebadged one from Ebay cost£49 plus a tenner delivery from China, arrived today two weeks early!.
IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG (40.33 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
Bought it mainly to use with the excellent Toupview and seems to work like a dream. Just plugged camera in, I wanted to just try it out so haven`t adjusted for exposure,white balance etc etc nothing yet just the auto settings.
first try on an old slide I`ve had for many years!
Silverberrybrightfieldx40.png
Silverberrybrightfieldx40.png (75.19 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
then tried the Dark field correction, no idea what this does yet, I assume it emulates a dark field image somehow using software?? again no correction for colour done yet! Had to reduce its size for the image size limit on the forum.
Silver berry darkfieldx40.png
Silver berry darkfieldx40.png (315.22 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
and finally same slide x100 again reduced in size for forum limit.
Silverberrybrightfieldx100.png
Silverberrybrightfieldx100.png (440.1 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
Great fun to be had from all this :)
regards
Steve

hkv

Re: 5mb Toupcam first light!

#2 Post by hkv » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Great images. Do you have a reference or link to eBay/seller for this camera? I could find it when I searched. I need one for my auto collimator.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

Gasman

#3 Post by Gasman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:22 pm

No probs. I bought it from the Ebay uk site here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252256875147? ... EBIDX%3AIT.
Works fine on my Windows 10 64bit pc.
Steve

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Hi Steve,
I think that little camera does a wonderful job...

BillT

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Thank you Steve.

Your photos were taken without microscope eyepiece (USB camera replaced eyepiece), correct?

Your photo labels "40x" and "100x" are total magnification (which corresponds to 4x NA 0.1 and 10x NA 0.25 objectives), correct?

Have you tried capturing images from your 40x and 100x oil objectives?

I hope a reasonably-priced USB3 version is available for high resolution videos.

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:04 pm

Excellent results.

Gasman

#7 Post by Gasman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:27 pm

zzffnn wrote:Thank you Steve.

Your photos were taken without microscope eyepiece (USB camera replaced eyepiece), correct?

Your photo labels "40x" and "100x" are total magnification (which corresponds to 4x NA 0.1 and 10x NA 0.25 objectives), correct?

Have you tried capturing images from your 40x and 100x oil objectives?

I hope a reasonably-priced USB3 version is available for high resolution videos.
The camera was used inside the TL 160 photo tube on the Trinocular port of my microscope, no additional eyepiece used. I thought it might have needed a reduction lens of some sort but pleased that it didn't. Sorry got mixed up with the mags. Visually I use x10 eyepieces which with x4 and x10 objectives gives x40 and x100 so with the camera in the trinoc port without eyepiece would just give x4 and x10 with x4 and x10 objectives right? The fov in the camera is similar to the one in the eyepiece strangely?.
Steve

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:08 pm

These pictures look good to me, are you able to post some from perhaps a x20 or x40 objective, or even x 100 oil if you can?

They look very good to me! :)
John B

JimT

#9 Post by JimT » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:51 pm

Steve, those are excellent! Would be interesting to compare real dark field Vs. the dark field software. Looks like an inverted image; reds are green etc.

I'd say your camera was worth whatever you paid for it and also your skills with it are quite good.

JimT

Gasman

#10 Post by Gasman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:53 pm

Thanks for the helpful comments guys,appreciated. Hoping to take the grandkids out finding things to look at with the scope at the weekend. Got a few streams near me, been watching some youtubes on Tardigrades they would be pretty cool to find.
Pretty interesting subject microscopy, never really bothered much with it at school (Many moons ago!).
It was the cloudy nights over here in the UK that led me to micro from observing the very large in my observatory to the very small, funny how things turn out!
best
Steve

mrsonchus

#11 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:21 am

Gasman wrote:Thanks for the helpful comments guys,appreciated. Hoping to take the grandkids out finding things to look at with the scope at the weekend. Got a few streams near me, been watching some youtubes on Tardigrades they would be pretty cool to find.
Pretty interesting subject microscopy, never really bothered much with it at school (Many moons ago!).
It was the cloudy nights over here in the UK that led me to micro from observing the very large in my observatory to the very small, funny how things turn out!
best
Steve
Hi Gasman, funnily enough I've a similar story, living in Cumbria where quite honestly it never stop raining! I started as a youngster bird-watching and breeding of all things Budgerigars (learned Mendelian inheritance from this also)! Anyway, bird-watching becomes somewhat more difficult as we begin the inevitable process of crumbling away to an irrelevant old fossil...

Sooo, as I began looking at wildflowers a few years back I soon appreciated that a) they don't fly-off without even saying goodbye after 3-hrs skulking about in hedgerows like a demented trainee-Ninja trying to find them, and b) one only needs to wander over to the nearest piece of foliage to discover a fascinating and accessible world, a piece of which, with consideration of course, may be taken to study at leisure - far easier than trying to persuade a sparrow to sit still while you measure the length of it's tail! :)

You've a similar problem of accessibility with astronomy I imagine! :)

You're in for a fascinating time with your 'scope my friend! Good hunting! :D
John B

Gasman

#12 Post by Gasman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:48 pm

Ah a kindred spirit ;) Yes John I too suffer as an astronomer not just the terrible skies we've had of late but the lure of a warm bed instead of freezing off me whatsits seems to be taking over the observing :)
Steve

mrsonchus

#13 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:37 pm

Gasman wrote:Ah a kindred spirit ;) Yes John I too suffer as an astronomer not just the terrible skies we've had of late but the lure of a warm bed instead of freezing off me whatsits seems to be taking over the observing :)
Steve
Ha Gasman, with you 100% old chap! :D
John B

JimT

#14 Post by JimT » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:16 pm

Posted to the wrong thread :(