Help with some nomenclature etc.

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
wmodavis

Help with some nomenclature etc.

#1 Post by wmodavis » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:31 pm

I seem to regularly come across terminology in the literature that maybe someone here can add some light, clarification, opinion etc to my growing understanding by helping me to differentiate them as to what they really mean.

1. research microscope
2. clinical microscope
3. student microscope
4. biological microscope

Also: How important is "Matching" the ocular to the objective especially when selecting from lenses perhaps NOT offered by the microscope manufacturer?

I think I realize taking the mfg provided lens complement is safest and/or best (maybe or maybe not) but in reality can one achieve as good of results by the mix-'n-match method presuming you know what you are doing?
Bill Davis
Olympus BH-2/BHS and BH-2/BHT both with trinoc head.

lorez

Re: Help with some nomenclature etc.

#2 Post by lorez » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:43 pm

All of the designations are, or could be, biological microscopes. The same hierarchy could be applied to other broad groups such as metallurgical or petrographic. I imagine others can expand on these groups.

1. research microscope
2. clinical microscope
3. student microscope

The research family of scopes has the most accessories and the best quality. Everything goes down from there. Knowing where one ends and another starts is a bit of a challenge sometimes. An example within the Olympus line, where you have some interest, would be the AH, BH, and CH designations and the next generation of -2 microscopes. Now the infinity systems are the current models and they have shifted to number sequences such as 40, 50, and 60, etc., but the same general factors apply.

When you are using scope in these groups you are best to use the prescribed brand accessories.

add edit
terminology in the literature
I forgot to mention this little pet peeve. You really have to watch the terminology in the literature. It seems that nearly everything is a "research" microscope and many sellers really hype a few other marginally meaningless features, so be aware.
lorez

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:59 pm

Worth noting that student microscopes not only have the least capability to take additional accessories, but in many cases they are designed to be difficult to dismantle - teenager proof if you like.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:20 am

The way I understand it:

Student scopes have very minimal components like monoc/binoc head, stage with slide holders, Achro objectives, minimal or no condenser...like different diameter holes or just an iris, minimal lighting. The eyepieces and objectives may be permanently attached or require special tools to remove.

Clinical scopes have more advanced components like binoc/trinoc head, mechanical stage, better optics, Abbe condenser.

Research scopes have the most advanced components on a larger base like graduated mechanical stage, the best or specialty objectives, high NA condensers with other options like oblique, filters and better lighting. Components and configuration is easily changed.

wmodavis

#5 Post by wmodavis » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:31 pm

All of that input is helpful in sorting out the myriad of descriptions out there. Particularly 75RR's comment on the 'student'. My main goal in asking was to try to understand if there are REAL and significant differentiation by those names. And I now realize that I left out the the metallurgical variety though it seems more out of my interest at this time.
Bill Davis

merrimoles

#6 Post by merrimoles » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:18 am

A biological microscope is a transmitted light microscope. A metallurgical microscope is a reflected light microscope, specifically epi-illumination whereby light is directed from the light source down through the objective (which acts as a condenser), reflects off the specimen back up through the objective and into the eyepieces. A biological microscope can also be used for reflected light by using a desk lamp above the specimen as the illumination source - this has its limits, as with the short working distance of most compound microscope objectives it can be difficult to get light between the objective and the specimen. The names biological and metallurgical simply refer to the traditional uses to which these types of microscope are put - they are by no means restricted to these uses.

As others here have said, the student/clinical/research designations represent a continuum starting at low cost/lowish performance/few features/low flexibility to the other end of the scale. There is no clear dividing line between each designation. As the name suggests student scopes would typically be used as an introduction to microscopy, clinical scopes would be used for routine lab work and tests, by advanced students, and higher end models for basic research. True research scopes are systems, configurable in many different ways with the highest quality components, often with automated and motorized functions.

Matching the ocular to the objective can be important. Most manufacturers design their objectives and eyepieces to complement each other, so it should be expected that the best imaging comes from such pairings. Some objectives do not, or do not fully, correct for chromatic aberration - in this case, the objective manufacturer's compensating eyepieces make up the correction.

If you know what you're doing, you can get away with anything. But the proof of the pudding is always in the eating. If you find a pair of eyepieces that work well with your objectives, then you're good to go. But how many of us are able to test eyepieces until we find a pair we like?
Ian G

wmodavis

#7 Post by wmodavis » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:59 pm

Thanks a bunch for that helpful description. The oculars that came with the BSH have a good name but are not the Olympus eyepieces that I've been looking around at/for. My plan, at least for now because of $ is to do with what I've got and perhaps later for them as an 'upgrade'.

My BSH base also came with a VERTICAL ILLUMINATOR with POLARIZER OPTICS but without the illuminator itself. Sounds like I may want to play around with that if I can find one. And I've wanted to try the polarized viewing. Think I must walk before I run though so baby steps for now.

I originally had an objective (not the type on a microscope) in all of this but have quite a ways to go even if it is possible. The education has been worth it so far.

I'm finding that the down side of going the route I chose - a used, major brand on a budget scope - is the lack of instant gratification i.e. actually looking through the lens at something small. The upside seems to be some extra learning time before that gratification and patience building.

And "If you know what you're doing, you can get away with anything" - hopefully I'll approach 'knowing what I'm doing' as time goes on with help from the experts here.

Thanks again
Bill Davis