Which image processing software?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Gasman

Which image processing software?

#1 Post by Gasman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:17 pm

Hi guys
Been looking at some image processing tutorials and one microscopy guy was saying how good Photoimpact was and I was wondering which software others use?. In my other life as an astronomer I occasionally use Pixinsight but not sure how microscopic images would process with this as I'm no expert with Pixinsight which does have quite a learning curve.
Regards
Steve

billben74

Re: Which image processing software?

#2 Post by billben74 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:26 pm

What sort of image processing do you want to do?
I use zerine stacker for stacking (it costs about $75) , Image composite editor for stitching (free) and GIMP 2.8 (free) for "photoshopping".

I know that forum members use a variety of software tools.
There are threads on stacking
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2500

and stitching
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2664

Gasman

#3 Post by Gasman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:10 pm

I suppose software that would bring out the fine detail. I have apps for stacking etc . The microscopy version of Imagej ' Fiji' I think its called gets good recommendations too.
Steve

JimT

#4 Post by JimT » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:47 pm

I use a Canon DSLR, take the images in RAW format, do the initial processing in Coral After Shot Pro, and the final processing in Photoshop. If I do any stacking (I should say when I do stacking since it is almost all the time) I use Combine ZP which is free and which I am most familiar with.

I did a comparison between Combine ZP and Picolay (Also free and also very good) several months ago. I would recommend either one for stacking.

JimT

Gasman

#5 Post by Gasman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:56 am

Thanks for that Jim. Aftershot pro2 seems to get a lot of excellent reviews, think I'll give the trial a test!
Regards
Steve

KurtM

#6 Post by KurtM » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:54 am

I'm a big fan of open source software that's FREE. I love Light Zone as an open source version of the gold standard among photography pros and advanced amateurs, Light Room, and do most of my photo editing in it. When I need other capabilities such as Photoshop offers, I use Paint.Net or GIMP as powerful, but FREE, alternatives. Mind you, I don't mind paying for what I get, and often donate to the creators of open source software that I like and use, and encourage others to do likewise.

Pro Tip: Look for tutorial videos on Youtube for the programs you want/need to learn.

Light Zone: http://lightzoneproject.org/

Paint.Net: http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

GIMP: https://www.gimp.org/

I don't do much stacking, so will let others talk about that.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

Gasman

#7 Post by Gasman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks for those links Kurt, pretty impressed with Lightzone, just trying it now :)
Steve

Johann

#8 Post by Johann » Mon May 23, 2016 4:04 pm

JimT wrote:I use a Canon DSLR, take the images in RAW format, do the initial processing in Coral After Shot Pro, and the final processing in Photoshop. If I do any stacking (I should say when I do stacking since it is almost all the time) I use Combine ZP which is free and which I am most familiar with.
Hi JimT, have u done any focus stacking using Photoshop? Just wanted to find out if Combine ZP does a better job than Photoshop?
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

johan

#9 Post by johan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:45 pm

Johann wrote:
JimT wrote:I use a Canon DSLR, take the images in RAW format, do the initial processing in Coral After Shot Pro, and the final processing in Photoshop. If I do any stacking (I should say when I do stacking since it is almost all the time) I use Combine ZP which is free and which I am most familiar with.
Hi JimT, have u done any focus stacking using Photoshop? Just wanted to find out if Combine ZP does a better job than Photoshop?
Hi Johann - a Johan here :). Almost anything does a better job of stacking than Photoshop. I prefer Zerene myself, but Helicon also has its plus points.