Microscopy with Nikon D810

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Homasjay

Microscopy with Nikon D810

#1 Post by Homasjay » Mon May 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi there,

I need some advice on a microscope that I plan on using with a Nikon d810. I want to take microscopy photos in FX mode at full resolution.

Can anyone recommend a microscope £100-£200, that should be relatively easy to connect to my camera?

I'm not sure if my low budget, or the fact that it'll be connected to my camera, will limit the magnification/use, but I'd like to use this setup to shoot as small as blood cells.

Thanks for the help!

Tom.

lorez

Re: Microscopy with Nikon D810

#2 Post by lorez » Tue May 03, 2016 3:00 am

I didn't know anything about a Nikon D810 so I did a bit of research. Am I correct that the D810 is a camera in the $3000 range? IF this is the case, I would suggest that you did not bother with your project. A $300 microscope is going to add nothing to your efforts and in my humble opinion is going to reduce the capabilities of the camera to something equivalent to a point and shoot.... something like putting a wooden wheel on a Maserati.

lorez

Homasjay

#3 Post by Homasjay » Tue May 03, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks for the reply.

It is a fairly high end camera. I thought this would be more like fitting a low end lens to my camera, which I've done before. With a cheap lens the results aren't amazing but I can still learn from using it and can always refine the images in photoshop.

Still think it's a time waster?

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Tue May 03, 2016 11:30 am

You could always sell the camera and buy a $3000 dollar microscope and a point and shoot.
You would get better images.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

kinase

#5 Post by kinase » Tue May 03, 2016 1:04 pm

Homasjay wrote:Thanks for the reply.

It is a fairly high end camera. I thought this would be more like fitting a low end lens to my camera, which I've done before.
That's pretty much what's going to happen, the microscope is going to be your limiting factor here. If you want to do some microscopy and don't want to buy anything but the scope and the camera adapter then I guess that's your only option. I'm not sure what the adapter situation is, I've had the crop sensor cameras fitted to microscopes before but never a full frame one.

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Tue May 03, 2016 6:57 pm

Welcome Homasjay. I agree with you and with kinase: an excellent camera with a mediocre lens. However, another possibility, if you are inclined that way and if you have a smart phone (i don't) would be to use it for photomicrography and free your Nikon for your other photography. As an example, you can search the forum for the superb pictures posted here by Rod ("rnabholz") (his earlier posts were taken with his cell phone, and he also showed how he holds his phone to the microscope).

Homasjay

#7 Post by Homasjay » Tue May 03, 2016 7:55 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone!

The end goal was to get shots in full frame so that I can make A1 size or bigger prints. I'm guessing I'll be better off borrowing
some nice persons more expensive microscope after I learn the basics first :D

Oktagon

#8 Post by Oktagon » Tue May 03, 2016 11:35 pm

Connecting full frame DSLR to a microscope is easy, as before the digital age 35mm was the smallest size film media which would be use for photomicrography. Most older photo tubes and ocular so are designed for 35mm film or 4x5" sheet film. The resolution is another matter. The higher the resolution, the more visible would be imperfections of the setup, and more sensitive the setup will be to vibrations, especially and mainly at higher magnifications. $300 microscope does not have to be really poor quality, as this is about going price for many LOMO Biolam scopes, which are not bad at all. Photo adapter will cost you another $75-100 and depending on what you have for lenses, you might go with afocal design (no lens). You will need Nikon to Pentax screw mount adapter. All being equal, your 100% crops from 37mp D810 will still look soft, as microscope will simply not provide high enough resolution to fully utilize the resolution of your sensor. In order to utilize your camera fully you would have to have it coupled with a very stable stand positioned on anti vibration table and equipped with planapo objectives and achromatic-aplanatic condenser with NA matched to the objective. You are talking $$$$ to $$$$$ scope.

Homasjay

#9 Post by Homasjay » Sun May 08, 2016 12:11 pm

Oktagon wrote:The higher the resolution, the more visible would be imperfections of the setup, and more sensitive the setup will be to vibrations, especially and mainly at higher magnifications. $300 microscope does not have to be really poor quality, as this is about going price for many LOMO Biolam scopes, which are not bad at all.
Thanks for this advice! Has restored my faith in this project, at least enough for me to try it with some second hand gear. I can then resell if I need to.

Is this similar to the kind of scope you are talking about? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111987133705

I think I will go no lens.

As far as adapters go, any advice on finding the right one? Will all LOMO Biolam scopes have the same size fittings?

Oktagon

#10 Post by Oktagon » Sun May 08, 2016 1:31 pm

Homasjay wrote:
Oktagon wrote:The higher the resolution, the more visible would be imperfections of the setup, and more sensitive the setup will be to vibrations, especially and mainly at higher magnifications. $300 microscope does not have to be really poor quality, as this is about going price for many LOMO Biolam scopes, which are not bad at all.
Thanks for this advice! Has restored my faith in this project, at least enough for me to try it with some second hand gear. I can then resell if I need to.

Is this similar to the kind of scope you are talking about? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111987133705

I think I will go no lens.

As far as adapters go, any advice on finding the right one? Will all LOMO Biolam scopes have the same size fittings?

Yes, this is C11 or C-12 with ST-12 slide drive and OI-32 simplified illuminator. Good scope for the money. It is using standard-pre DIN optics, but you can install any DIN 160mm optica, it will not be confocal with the rest of the objectives, but will work. You can get any LOMO MFN designed for 35mm camera body, as they all have Pentax screw mount on the back end, or get a train ocular MFN-11 and you will ne all set. When you photograph, use remote release and set exposure to at least 45-60 seconds, this way shutter vibrations will not be noticeable. Also, don't walk around or even speak while shutter is open, or you will see it!

Homasjay

#11 Post by Homasjay » Sun May 08, 2016 5:10 pm

Oktagon wrote: Also, don't walk around or even speak while shutter is open, or you will see it!
Ok great, I think I have enough info to attempt this. Going to be interesting. I will post my setup if it works! Thanks all.

75RR

#12 Post by 75RR » Sun May 08, 2016 5:59 pm

You might find this useful:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=882
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)