Limited Budget Scope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
rabitt

Limited Budget Scope

#1 Post by rabitt » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:11 am

Referencing cpsTN's post manufacturer quality.
Currently have Amscope M200B-MS and would like to upgrade to a dark field scope.
I'm considering Amscope T340A-DK-LED. With a 3 watt LED, $314.98
OMAX M837TL-A191 also with LED. $345.99
Are there any other companies to consider cost & quality wise or used scopes in
this price range.

Rich B

apochronaut

Re: Limited Budget Scope

#2 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:17 pm

It depends on what level of magnification you intend to use. Dry DF condensers give acceptable results for magnifications under about 50X( objective), so usually 500X at the eyepieces and with an N.A. lower than .70. Once you go above that and that almost always implies a 100X oil immersion objective, you need an oil immersion condenser and quite high illumination. A 3 watt led isn't enough. The on-line sellers, overstate the capability of their hardware. They are more than willing to include accessories or systems that you will never use or don't work properly, if it makes the package LOOK more impressive to unknowledgeable buyers and will enhance a sale.

lorez

#3 Post by lorez » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi Rich,

The Amscope microscope is suitable for use in a high school or jr. college environment. It is an OK instrument, but don't expect too much from it. The Omax is a weak copy of the Olympus CH and it is not any better than the Amscope. I am personally familiar with both.

If you want something that will deliver quality images and have some flexibility you may want to watch/shop for an Olympus CH or CH2, an AO10, or some Nikon models (although these don't seem to be as easy to configure). Even a Swift M4000D is reasonable choice.

lorez

Johann

#4 Post by Johann » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi Rich,
I have the Omax you mention - and although I think its a good scope for the price - I would not recommend it for darkfield. The LED light is too weak - specially at 40x and up.
Like Lorez said, its an entry level scope, don't expect too much ;)
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

MicroInspector

#5 Post by MicroInspector » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:54 am

But I own a omax M82EZ
I love it .
The Olympus microscopes are a over priced microscopes
Back than I was.thinking to get real microscope
The Olympus was.way out my budget and still.is.
I glad I found omax M82EZ
My microscope is lab grade and these other brand microscopes
Well everyone has his or hers
Brands and that's just fine
Some brands high cost that only
Hospitals and labs pros can afford
Other wise rich people's microscopes.
The microscope reveals the truth of life.
Omax M82EZ microscope

hkv

#6 Post by hkv » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:52 am

i disagree that Olympus microscopes are overpriced. As always, you get what you pay for. A used quality microscope from any of the top brands usually delivers far better performance than new chinese brands. If you could live with that the equipment does not look brand new with some scuffs and marks, then I would look for a used quality scope. One thing to think about is the endless opportunities with upgrades, swapping condensers, heads, objectives etc with old quality scopes. Supply on ebay is endless and even for scopes that are 20-30 years old. In the long run, I believe that route is less costly as your needs change and you can simply reconfigure your scope instead of buying a new scope every time.

Personally I feel confident in having a scope I know is of great quality. When I fail to reach Charles Krebs level in my photographs, which is 100% of the time, at least I know that it is me that is the limitation and not my gear.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

MicroInspector

#7 Post by MicroInspector » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:07 am

Have you seen the price on Olympus compound microscopes? Wait I have check Olympus I did not see any compound microscopes.
But like said one can upgrade a compound microscope
Instead of buying new.

If you can find a used Olympus compound microscope
For $700 or $500 than you are lucky.
The microscope reveals the truth of life.
Omax M82EZ microscope

vasselle

#8 Post by vasselle » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:59 am

Bonjour
Pourquoi ne pas regarder du coté des microscopes occasion.
Car il y a des microscopes de grande marque qui ne sont pas chère du tout comparé à un microscope neuf que vous mentionner et en plus d'un bien meilleur niveau.
Car j'ai moi même utilisé un microscope Bresser Researcher Binoculaire et je doit dire qui ma rendu pas mal de service.
Et là depuis quelques mois je me suis acheté un microscope occasion un Leitz Laborlux K avec tete trino et je peu vous assurer que sais que tu bonheur ne n'est même pas comparable avec le microscope Bresser que j'avais avant.
Les mécaniques la mise au point et carrément meilleurs car sur le Leitz il y a pas du tout de jeu.
Et je doit dire que je ne le regrette pas du tout mon achat.
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

rabitt

#9 Post by rabitt » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:54 pm

Thank you everyone for your input, lots to consider, I do like the features of the AmScope T340 with 3 watt LED, or trying to assemble a better quality scope from items purchased on ebay.
I am retired & in my late 70's would like to keep expenditures on the low side. Wife said what ever I do is OK with her.

zzffnn

#10 Post by zzffnn » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:52 pm

Rich,

Your Amscope M200B-MS does not seem to have a dovetail condenser mount. Some slightly more expensive AmScope have 37 mm dovetail condenser mount, which is a common dovetail size and will accept, for example, LOMO OI-13 darkfield condenser. That allows DIY condenser adaptation.

There are also eBay 10w microscope LEDs: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-Compound-M ... nav=SEARCH

AmScope or Omax /similar brands also sells darkfield 100x oil iris objective with oil darkfield condenser, sometimes for reasonable price on eBay.

hkv

#11 Post by hkv » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:12 pm

A fellow forum member just sold an Olympus KHC with phase contrast for $230. I think that was a good deal. You do not have to spend $500-$700. A beautiful piece of equipment and high quality. However, a good deal normally requires some patience and time spent on ebay searches.

I am sure the Amscope will also give you great pleasure as well. Ready out of the box. Brand new. Warranty. I guess it is all about personal preferences if you want to buy new or old.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

billbillt

#12 Post by billbillt » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 pm

I am sure the Amscope will serve well in this area of microscopy as a hobby as it pertains to almost all of us.. A high precision and very expensive stand is certainly only needed as a tool for research where it is one's job..

BillT