DIC contrast present but unexpected

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
loukote

DIC contrast present but unexpected

#1 Post by loukote » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:16 am

Hello,

i had rubber sample made from two rubber components/compounds. The interface between the components was not visible in reflected light on a guillotine cut, and it was not visible on a polished section. (Polished similarly as a metallurgical sample. Polishing resulted in a nearly plane and slightly inclined surface.) Neither dark-field nor polarized-light could resolve the interface -- one colour across the whole sample.

From the above, i was assuming that there is no step in between the components (dark-field) and that the compounds give the same reflection in polarized light. So DIC should not show the interface. I tried anyway and was surprised to see two different colours on both sides of the interface.

See images attached. The microscope was the following: Zeiss AxioImager Z2 Vario, objective 10×/0.30 Epiplan Neofluar HD. (Not a DIC dedicated/meant objective.)

I'd like to understand why DIC shows a different colour. The literature did not help. I must be missing something. Could you help to explain why DIC results in two homogeneous regions with a distinct colour contrast?

Many thanks,
Ondrej
bright field
bright field
BF.jpg (371.21 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
dark field
dark field
DF.jpg (409.27 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
DIC
DIC
DIC.jpg (364.48 KiB) Viewed 3150 times

gekko

Re: DIC contrast present but unexpected

#2 Post by gekko » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:18 am

Sorry you didn't get a reply, the reason, I think, is that no one has a good answer. One answer might be that the optical properties are different in the two parts, but that clearly does not answer your question, rather it restates your question. Perhaps someone who studies the physical properties of rubber may be able to help you.