Color filters

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
ahpuchplayer

Color filters

#1 Post by ahpuchplayer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:43 am

Hello! I have a green color filter that comes with the Omax M837L and I was wondering, is it useful to have many different filters? If so what color should I buy?

Understand that im a newbie in the microscopy world hehehe :mrgreen: I have many questions regarding my scope if anyone is willing to help :oops:
OMAX M837L

lorez

Re: Color filters

#2 Post by lorez » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:33 am

is it useful to have many different filters? If so what color should I buy?
I think color filters are a matter of preference with a little bit of attention to what you are trying to accomplish.

Most of the Chinese microscopes are equipped with the green filter (and there is quite a bit of variety among the variety of models and manufacturers) because the green wave length is most conducive to effective viewing.

The Rheinberg filters are quite popular among hobbyists and are available from a variety of sources and can also be made at home.

I am partial to the daylight blue because it buffers the yellow cast of the incandescent and halogen bulbs, but as I mentioned, I think any color is OK.

ahpuchplayer

#3 Post by ahpuchplayer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:36 am

Oh ok now I understand its to filter (obvious) ahahah should I be worried about it being chinese? Its a omax its korean isnt it? Is it considered a cheap microscope brand? :mrgreen:
OMAX M837L

Drew

#4 Post by Drew » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:33 pm

player,

I'm a newbie, too. And I also have an interest in filters. As lorez says, colored filters are used to get rid or reduce certain wave lengths of light. Thinking that filters could be used to make some things in a specimen stand out from the rest, I have achieved no signifigant results. With a couple of Grandkids still in the "My turn," pushing and punching stage, I figured optical staining would be better than chemical staining.

Other things such as phase contrast may be better. I have read that a green filter enchances the wavelengths that are prominient in most phaco condenser and eyepiece stops. I have not tried phaco yet. From pictures this gets rid of differences in color but gives a kind of 3D.

From reading a Wikipedia article on optical staining, I found that this term refers to dispersion or immersion staining. It is used to determine if two adjacent materials have the same or different Index of Refraction. Sometime when you are playing around, you ought to try the Becke Line Test and what was called the van der Kolk or shadow method. The shadow method is now called Oblique Illumination. It can be done with solids or a solid and a liquid. A couple of grains of salt crushed and sprinkled in a drop of cooking oil on a slide will work. Lay the cover slip on so it just rests on the oil. With an objective about 20X, set your condenser as low as it will go and the aperature closed as far as it will go, focus on a particle. Slowly lower your stage away from focus. See the white line form on the edge of the particle and move into it, that is the Becke Line. Now try the shadow method with a 10X objective. Raise your condenser as high as it will go and open the aperature as far as it will go. After focusing on the particles, put 2 fingers together and run them from the side into the light path between the light and condenser. You ought to see one side of your image darkening and the particles have a bright and dark side on the border. I have gone no farther yet. Because of Dispersion, the Index of Refraction of materials changes according to wavelength. When we get a match somewhere in the light waves we can see, the Becke Line is supposed to be two colors, one moving into and the other out of the particle. And we should get colors on the edges in the shadow method instead of just bright and dark. What does this have to do with filters? With a filter that eliminates all wavelengths but our match, our particle should be invisible.

As long as your microscope works, I would not worry if it was Chinese or not.

billbillt

#5 Post by billbillt » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:59 pm

Chinese microscopes are usually very good.. The proof of that is in photos posted in this forum.. There are mostly high quality images shown.. I have seen pics taken through the "Big 4" and other supposedly "superior quality" stands that are generally just so-so... I think it boils down to the person using the equipment.....

BillT