Lens from different brand

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
ahpuchplayer

Lens from different brand

#1 Post by ahpuchplayer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Hello I have an Omax compound microscope and was wondering if you can buy lens from different company if they have the same size? Or its a bad idea and should stick to "chinese" lens hehe :)
OMAX M837L

Peter

Re: Lens from different brand

#2 Post by Peter » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi ahpuchplayer,
You could do worse than http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bausch-lomb-Mic ... 1839191659.
Peter.

ahpuchplayer

#3 Post by ahpuchplayer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:25 pm

You recommend I buy this? Thats top quality :o? I put a bid on it ahah they look interesting
OMAX M837L

lorez

#4 Post by lorez » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:30 pm

Those objectives are not compatible with your microscope.

ahpuchplayer

#5 Post by ahpuchplayer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:51 pm

What objective would fit? Anything to recommend higher than the ones I have?
OMAX M837L

lorez

#6 Post by lorez » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:23 pm

The objectives on your scope are DIN 45mm, so anything of that category could work. If I were you I would spend my time getting familiar with your scope and finding out what it is capable of as it is configured. I don't recommend putting more expensive accessories on the introductory model stands, but that's just me. Half the fun of the hobby is fiddling with the gear.

ahpuchplayer

#7 Post by ahpuchplayer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Ahahah ill follow your advice! But in the future should I buy a better microscope brand even if its used?
OMAX M837L

hkv

#8 Post by hkv » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:10 pm

ahpuchplayer wrote:Ahahah ill follow your advice! But in the future should I buy a better microscope brand even if its used?
Yes, If you are planning to upgrade your system with expensive add-ons, like APO condensers, DIC-prisms, fancy objectives etc, then you would be better off switching to a top brand microscope stand first. The logic is very simple. A top stand cost in the range of hundreds whereas a top objective cost is in the range of thousands. It makes no sense to buy objectives from top brands for thousands and put them on a stand for a couple of hundreds or less. It would be like putting a Ferrari engine in a Subaru.

I would keep the Omax as is and when you no longer are happy (if that ever happens) you start with a new stand a build a new higher performance system to better fulfill your new needs and expectations. Unfortunately, all microscopes are contaminated with nasty microscope bugs that will infect your brain. Once the bug is in there, you will have to upgrade. Over and over again. Resistance is futile. :(
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

ahpuchplayer

#9 Post by ahpuchplayer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:34 pm

AHAH a subaru with a ferrari engine I like that!

Im already contaminated ;) when I see all the top notch microscope you guys have it makes me wanna upgrade already hehehehe :mrgreen:
OMAX M837L

kit1980

#10 Post by kit1980 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:43 pm

You might be interested in reading a discussion I started some time ago: Better objectives for a Chinese microscope.

I've since upgraded my Omax stand with Nikon CF plan objectives and pretty happy with the result. But I also replaced a not very good USB camera (came with the scope) with a micro four thirds camera (in direct projection, to remove aberrations from Omax camera adapter), got better condensers, oil, and cover glasses.

If you want to try one objective and see if it makes sense to you, I suggest Nikon 50x Iris Oil Plan Achromat. It's very versatile, has no Omax analogs, and available on ebay for less than $200 from several sellers.
Omax microscope with Nikon CF objectives
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II camera
http://sdymphoto.com/

ahpuchplayer

#11 Post by ahpuchplayer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Thank you very much guys for the help! I will read the thread but I wonder how much is the camera you bought? Or the pirce with all the upgrades?
OMAX M837L

kit1980

#12 Post by kit1980 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:01 pm

ahpuchplayer wrote:Thank you very much guys for the help! I will read the thread but I wonder how much is the camera you bought? Or the pirce with all the upgrades?
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II camera costed me about $600 new, but it's a good camera I use not only for microscope (like playing with a vintage cine lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138111909@N07/29247457386).

Used Nikon CF objectives for me were in the range from $60 (10x E Plan) to $300 (100x Plan with iris) each.
Omax microscope with Nikon CF objectives
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II camera
http://sdymphoto.com/

ahpuchplayer

#13 Post by ahpuchplayer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:20 pm

I have a sony camera (I dont know the model will look tonight) is it a pain in the back to buy an adapter which is gonna take amazing pictures? Im really neophyte in this whole microscopy thing hehe thanks for helping me out kit I truly appreciate!
OMAX M837L

apochronaut

#14 Post by apochronaut » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:47 am

the microscope world, like just about everything else in life, is infected with a style trumps substance ethic. you have to look beyond that, in order to find value.
there is a fair amount of chatter on this forum about the " big 4"..... well, that is today, and complete with prices that are well beyond the desires or means of most amateurs, excepting the few that still dine with silver.
in the timeframe, when the big 4 made products that are currently affordable to most amateurs, there was in fact, a big 11, with all of them highly competitive, optically. If one includes Vickers, Meiji,aus Jena and PZO in their search for fine 160mm D.I.N. optics, with which to upgrade a Chinese made stand, there is a good chance that a serious upgrade could be made for surprisingly little. I've seen aus Jena apochromats sell for less than 50.00 and PZO planachromats( the strain free D.I.C. ones) sell for 25.00.