microscopes

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
MicroInspector

microscopes

#1 Post by MicroInspector » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:34 am

Here is a question,
What the difference between a biological microscope and a veteraian microscope?
And how powerful are research microscopes?
The microscope reveals the truth of life.
Omax M82EZ microscope

apochronaut

Re: microscopes

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:53 pm

The term biological microscope is used rather loosely. The term should actually be transmitted light microscope or diascopic microscope. There is no difference, between a biological microscope and a veterinary microscope because any microscope used for a purpose in biology is a biological microscope. Veterinarians have some specific purposes for their biological microscopes, so there are certain accessories they require, depending on their preferences. They do a lot of staining of blood smears, for instance and putting on a coverslip is time consuming, so some of them like to use a 100x .90 no coverglass objective for those smears. They also do a lot of fecal examination for parasites, so they will use a lower power stereo microscope for that. Those can both be called biological microscopes.
Research microscopes are of many types. Some , such as electron microscopes or atomic force microscopes do not use light and can produce very high magnified images, on a screen.
Research light microscopes, are generally not any more powerful than an average transmitted light microscope but often produce clearer images because they have higher specifications in their manufacture and/or use special imaging technology or contrast enhancing technology.Their are some new advancements in lens technology, that hold promise for higher magnifications than previously were deemed possible by a light microscope and these will be used on future research microscopes because the technology will be very expensive.

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi, with the explosion of computer assisted research instruments, with laser optical illumination and 'quantum dot' optical systems..the introduction of atomic-force microscopic 'optical??' (not sure when to stop terming an image detector optical) systems...atomic-force microscopes tailored to use with living biologic objects...well the term: 'research microscope' is very broad a term.

In astronomy...there are now research (computers combined with instruments...just like with the microscopes)..so with astronomy..there are instruments and dedicated study programs to use of...gulp...gravitational lenses...to see objects vastly further from our dear earth...than the collection of galaxies with function as the lens system...this gravity lens system then images the further away studied objects!

Is this 'optical astronomy'...I think so'

It probably never made the regular newspapers..but we now with atomic-force microscopes can 'in real time' see protein formation from DNA...to translation to the RNA's...to protein construction in an organelle within a living cell.

It's a great time to be a student!

To my experiences..'biological microscopes'...are 'student microscopes ' of a range of qualities..for use in classrooms with students...there is so much to learn that 'biological microscopes' offer fantastic experiences with the key combination of: looking...vrs then seeing our world!

To imply a microscope is: vet-scope'...implies quality instrument capable of diagnostic work on blood cells, parasitic cysts...often with phase contrast contrast method..usually with the high magnification oil-objective..as well as the lower power objectives.

please yourself go online and 'google' quantum dot microscopy'...confocal microscopy, atomic force microscopy.

please tell me if the gravitational lens studies are akin to the largest microscopes we can now use?! charlie guevara

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:42 pm

MicroInspector

#5 Post by MicroInspector » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Good grief that is beyond optical standards.
I seen 1micriscope in a mobile lab ad in a old phone book..
I think it was a German ziess microscopeImage
I think some of you have this kind of microscope
I guess back than they used this kind for Lab work and research.
Atomic force. My guess this microscope uses a radioactive source?
Omax M82EZ microscope

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:59 am

Atomic Force microscopes use a tiny stylus, kind of like a miniature phonograph needle, as a probe. It "feels" the terrain of the sample, which is then recorded as a map; kind of like a topographical map and then converted into an image of the sample. Very high magnifications can be realized but I think it is only useful for a physical image of the exterior of the sample. I have seen some very fine images of bacteria , done with an atomic force microscope.

MicroInspector

#7 Post by MicroInspector » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:19 am

But the word atomic force microscope
There has to be some.kind source.
I have to look the word up..

Look it up
There is no radioactive source
But a laser
Mm.it should be called laser microscope
The word atomic is misleading.

Your right on this
Omax M82EZ microscope

Pat Thielen

#8 Post by Pat Thielen » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:08 am

This is really incredible technology -- I hadn't heard of it until just now in fact. I looked at the specs of the Park NX10 and it stated the resolution was 0.05 nm; does this mean it can "see" something down to that size? This would imply it is possible to see objects at the atomic level. Or, have I miscalculated mightily? Even still, I think I wants one of these beasties! :D
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

MicroInspector

#9 Post by MicroInspector » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:46 am

Cost more than than your microscope.
Sell 70000 new cars and and itbis yours lol
Omax M82EZ microscope

Pat Thielen

#10 Post by Pat Thielen » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:10 am

MicroInspector wrote:Cost more than than your microscope.
Sell 70000 new cars and and itbis yours lol

You're right! But I still wants one. Actually, what is funny (to me at least) is I couldn't find a price for one online. It really is one of those "if you have to ask you can't afford it" kinds of things.

Must. Win. Lottery.

:D
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#11 Post by Pat Thielen » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:14 am

You can get them on Ebay (as well as SEMs and other microscopes). So... What CAN'T you get on Ebay?

Must. Win. Lottery.

:lol:
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

billbillt

#12 Post by billbillt » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:50 am

Build your own AF microscope:

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Low-C ... %E9%8F%A1/

BillT

hkv

#13 Post by hkv » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:14 am

MicroInspector wrote:But the word atomic force microscope

Mm.it should be called laser microscope
The word atomic is misleading.

Actually not. It scans the surface of a subject by "feeling" the atomic force close to the surface. That is how I understand it.

Next step for my setup is to contain a small sized black hole inside an objective housing to get a gravitational lens. I think that will break the diffraction limit, perhaps with a few other side effects. I still need to figure out how to prevent the subjects to be forever lost beyond the event horizon. Perhaps a strong glue? ;)
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

75RR

#14 Post by 75RR » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:56 am

MicroInspector. You should "google" a little more. This is not a chat forum.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)