Best of the low end options for use in high schools

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
DNAPL

Best of the low end options for use in high schools

#1 Post by DNAPL » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:23 pm

I am hoping that someone here can give me some information/advice about the various low end microscope brands that typically get used in Middle and High School science classes. I need to acquire some new microscopes for training student teachers and give them hands-on practice with the issues they are likely to run into in a public school in the states. So, not complete toys but definitely lower end of the spectrum. The brands I have been trying to compare are ones like Swift, Amscope, Ken-a-Vision, Boreal and Accuscope. Ones in the lower hundreds dollar range, definitely below a thousand per scope. I might even pick up a few different brands so that our student teachers can try a spectrum of them (most of the people in the school systems I have talked to either had no input on what was purchased, or have only used one type of microscope and don't know much about what else is out there.

The constraints of the purchase also mean that I have to buy new from an approved state vendor (which limits things considerably). Ebay is right out.

I am looking to for both stereomicroscopes (as in a biology class - reflected and transmitted light, fine and coarse focus) and compound microscopes (with a abbe condenser preferably, mechanical stage, 4x, 10x, 40x (100x would be rather beyond what is needed), monocular head (growing children would be the target audience for them), diopter adjustment - some of this is negotiable for better optics).

Finally we are also looking for digital cameras that can be used to broadcast images to a class - like the Motic X or the Ken-a-vision Edu cam. I am trying to avoid microscopes with built-in cameras so that we can swap the camera out when technology changes.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

charlie g

Re: Best of the low end options for use in high schools

#2 Post by charlie g » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:08 pm

Hello...first go to excellent platform of Microscopy Society of America..(MSA projectmicro).

www.microscopy.org/education/projectmicro/sources.cfm

Excellent tried and true sources for educators like yourself. charlie guevara

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:13 pm

One thing I would suggest Vs. Charlie's recommended site is get binocular scopes instead of monocular ones. Much better visual quality.

Also, you don't say where you are but can you visit or contact nearby schools to learn what they are using and what they recommend.

Let us know your progress and don't hesitate to ask questions.

JimT

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:01 am

Good link charlie g

This is a sample of their good common sense advice!

"Magnifies 600-1200 times!" NO. When you see this claim in an advertisement, it's good reason to read no further.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

lorez

#5 Post by lorez » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:26 am

I think I've been where you are and have done what you are proposing, but I'm not sure I understand all that you are trying to do. If you could provide some specifics, more that what you have, it would be helpful to me.

It's too bad that you are limited in your purchasing options as there are many possibilities beyond the new instruments.

lorez

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm think you can talk to flesh and blood educators and microscopists via the MSA portal. Binnocular stands are problematic for primary/secondary school settings...too much time wasted in adjustments...too much risk of prism jarring by the 'novice microscopists' using these stands.

I wonder when your buget cycle and class start dates are...no need to say...but MSA in conjunction with talking to educators who have same lab sylabus as yours..will efficiently aid your procurrment.

I have the 'old vintage' Kenner-Vision projection microscope...perhaps one of these modern types excellent for instructor to start off the lesson...as all sit with their individual stands ready to cover the assignment.

Recall whimsical tale by writer James Thurber 'The Microscope'..on the potential hazards of binoccular microscopes offered to novice microscope students! charlie guevara

James Thurber, "University Days" 1933

DNAPL

#7 Post by DNAPL » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks for the suggestion to join the MSA - makes sense anyhow.

I have been put into the strange position of trying to get a few different models of decent microscopes that are currently on the market (constraints of government purchasing) for new student teachers to train on so that they have an idea what they are doing when they get into the classroom. We have a lovely microscopy lab of high end scopes, but they are going to be working on low end scopes and need experience dealing with them. And yes - we do need to go monocular! :)

The information I have gotten from local schools has not been terribly helpful (for example: we have these but we don't recommend them, we got these super expensive ones on a grant, etc.) I also work with public school districts that simply don't have equipment so they would like help even getting the ideas together for a grant application.

We want to set things up so that student teachers and local in service teachers can visit a lab with a few different models and try them out and learn how to use digital systems like the Motic X. The teachers are from all of the natural science fields, so they are looking to do a range of different things. (we are going to do our own in-house polarizing filter attachments). But I do have a limited budget so I would like to purchase the models most likely to be good, durable, and useful and in the right price range that they are in the reach of a public middle or high school.

Clear as mud?

JimT

#8 Post by JimT » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:45 pm

(for example: we have these but we don't recommend them....
So don't get any of those brands!

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you but my added suggestion would be; don't buy anything without bouncing it off of this forum first.

Good luck.

JimT

lorez

#9 Post by lorez » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:48 pm

You did not respond directly to my earlier post so I'm not sure to whom you are speaking.
But I do have a limited budget so I would like to purchase the models most likely to be good, durable, and useful and in the right price range that they are in the reach of a public middle or high school.
You need to buy used microscopes. Like I said earlier, I've been where you are and done what you are going to do. If you want to see what schools are using you need a variety of models and designs and that goal can be accomplished by purchasing reconditioned instruments. Given that they are " lovingly" used they will truly represent what the schools are using. If you really want to see what the schools are using, get scopes that are not reconditioned. In either case, I can be of assistance. I have references and lots of experience.

lorez

charlie g

#10 Post by charlie g » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:47 am

There is no need to 'join' MSA to use these resource people. In less than two hours determine with your committee what your goals are for lesson plans...digital image capture systems are a component which augments all teaching/learning settings. Please do not comingle, do not clutter your need for new student microscopes , with the add-on systems (such as Motic).

I hope you do not intend to rush into high school level equipment purchases before you have lesson plans.

Regarding 'exposure to a variety of equipment'..what student teacher has time for that?!! I applaud all educators..your initial querry was for high school microscopes...not for dragging out the possible brands one can expose student teachers to.

I hope you adhere to format of: Idea/ things to do for this idea/ doing/ done..with specific outcome goals/ specific lesson plans...'get er done!'. charlie guevara

75RR

#11 Post by 75RR » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Agree with charlie g that lesson goals and a lesson plan (on how to get there) should be the priority.
The microscope should be considered a tool to achieve that objective.

Giving new teachers hands on experience with every microscope they are likely to encounter sounds more useful than it actually is.

Modern microscope design has blended pretty much all microscopes into one basic form; any minor differences should not be a problem as long as the teachers have had sufficient time to develop the necessary microscope skills to fully understand their use.

What you could do which would be very useful and much cheaper than buying job lots of bad/indifferent microscopes to practice with is, in addition to giving them plenty of microscope time, to give those teachers a 'Microscope Survival Class'.

Not worried about the teachers here, this is about how to help the microscopes survive their time in student hands.

It should cover, among other things, the virtues of familiarizing oneself with the microscope to be used before a class, which includes checking what bits inquisitive students can remove and making sure they are all there at the end of the lesson, as well as Lab safety, Do's and Don’ts, student instruction in microscope use etc...
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

oakleywerks

#12 Post by oakleywerks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:34 pm

I can't assist, but I'm glad to learn of the Microscopy Society of America website, which could help with my own search.
Lytkarino MBS-9 [ST-100]
http://lzos.ru/en/index.php?page=shop.p ... t&Itemid=2

AO 20 trinoc, 100W, infinity plan achro 4-100x

billbillt

#13 Post by billbillt » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:34 pm

charlie g wrote:There is no need to 'join' MSA to use these resource people. In less than two hours determine with your committee what your goals are for lesson plans...digital image capture systems are a component which augments all teaching/learning settings. Please do not comingle, do not clutter your need for new student microscopes , with the add-on systems (such as Motic).

I hope you do not intend to rush into high school level equipment purchases before you have lesson plans.

Regarding 'exposure to a variety of equipment'..what student teacher has time for that?!! I applaud all educators..your initial querry was for high school microscopes...not for dragging out the possible brands one can expose student teachers to.

I hope you adhere to format of: Idea/ things to do for this idea/ doing/ done..with specific outcome goals/ specific lesson plans...'get er done!'. charlie guevara

Motic IS NOT an "add on" system...

BillT