advice in adjusting microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
alangh08

advice in adjusting microscope

#1 Post by alangh08 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:05 pm

Ive been using microscopes for about three years and the beauty of microscope i have for about a year. I learned every corner of it and how to disarm and arm ( i know its bad to disassemble but i cant help it) i just removed the objectives, the nose, the condenser ( i got a dark field condenser ;) which i switch on from time to time ). My microscope is a celestron biological student light microscope. When i first started using it it was amazing! Now it seems like the resolution is not as good and the big problem i have now is every time i try to use the high power 40x objective i cant see anything and im forced to slowly move the scanning course focus knob , not the fine focus, to bring it down a few hairs to get some a picture but the picture sucks and its dark and some lines are always in sight ( it almost looks as if i was looking tho a oil immersion lens and its not) , i have to put it so close that the objective touches the slide! In order to get an image. This did not happen before, before it worked like a regular microscope... is it out of balance? Do i have to adjust something? Please help and thank you all in advance! Ohh and it also looks too bright when on the other objectives even when i open condnser

gekko

Re: advice in adjusting microscope

#2 Post by gekko » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:14 pm

alangh08 wrote:how to disarm and arm
It may help if you tell us what you mean by that.

alangh08

#3 Post by alangh08 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Srry.. i meant to remove the objectives the nose and the condenser

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:33 pm

alangh08 wrote:Srry.. i meant to remove the objectives the nose and the condenser
I think removing the nose (I assume that means the objective turret) may not have been a good idea. It is possible that when you replaced it, it was no longer centered, which would throw the system out of alignment, and would be especially noticeable for the higher magnification objectives. Someone with more knowledge of microscope repair/alignment will hopefully suggest how to do it (or perhaps you can google the question).

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:18 pm

It just occurred to me that you may want to post your question on the Yahoo Restoration and Collection Forum where you will probably get good advice on how to solve your microscope problem:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mic ... ction/info

The QCC

#6 Post by The QCC » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Your diagnosis of your microscope problem reads like the optical path is misaligned.
Realignment is not a trivial task and generally requires specialized tools and calibration slides.
You did not specify your Celestron model, you may want to look at these Celestron sites.

Celestron Manuals
Celestron knowledgebase

Do a Entire Support site search for "Microscope manuals"
There are dozens of different models and their documentation.
The manuals may not tell you how to align things, but the parts breakdown will tell what is supposed to be where and in what order.

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:07 pm

I suggest you try to find a microscope technician.
To find one you might try contacting microscope sellers in your town/city or asking at the science department of your local college.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

gekko

#8 Post by gekko » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:46 pm

75RR wrote:I suggest you try to find a microscope technician.
To find one you might try contacting microscope sellers in your town/city or asking at the science department of your local college.
I quite agree with 75RR's suggestions. But if go that route, make sure you know how much it is going to cost you, as the charge could conceivably be more than what the microscope is worth.