first Tartigrade

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
cpsTN

first Tartigrade

#1 Post by cpsTN » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:59 pm

I found my first tartigrade in Lycan from a tulip poplar. The dish that I have put it in is not opaque, so I'm having to use my cell phone a flashlight to illuminate it from the top. I either need to figure out a way to illuminate it so I can take a picture or video with my cell phone or get some Petri dishes or something similar so I can Shine the Light from the bottom as I should. Hopefully soon pictures and videos will be forthcoming.
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo
...objectives: 1x, 3x
...EPs: 5x, 10x, 15x

Pat Thielen

Re: first Tartigrade

#2 Post by Pat Thielen » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:05 pm

Congrats on your find! These guys are really hard to find it would seem. There is a place nearby where you can buy cultures of various things; it's been here for many years. I was talking to the owner, and he told me in twenty years he's only found two tardigrades in the wild. For something so common they really must know how to hide! I look forward to seeing any photos you get of him.
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Congrats on your successful 'bear hunt', Charles. I sense water bears (a vintage text I have terms these:"moss piglets"!!)

always a special treat...but I doubt they are rare...I'm surprized at that lab supply owner who never encountered these 'bears' for years. The dogs and I went on a succesful bear hunt last month..try moss at base of trees, try stump water which collects in tree crouches(?sp?)...one try per week...you will find rotifers, nematodes, ciliates, and water bears in less than a month.

Fresh collected tree stump water, or tree base patch of moss should soak a day...then start looking. I suggest Charles get low cost borosilicate glass 'pastuer pipetts'..with these you transfer a 'bear' or whatever...to a glass slide to better observe.

charlie guevara

cpsTN

#4 Post by cpsTN » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:11 am

Charlie:

I tried some Lycan from one of the trees in the front yard. In that sample, I found 4 nematodes of various ages and lengths and three water bears. I have heard the term Moss Piglet and think it's a great term. I will look into the item you suggested. Thank You.
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo
...objectives: 1x, 3x
...EPs: 5x, 10x, 15x