"new" Swift M1000D info needed

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Karl in NY

"new" Swift M1000D info needed

#1 Post by Karl in NY » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:14 am

I just updated from a shortly-owned Swift 400 Collegiate to a Swift M1000D for only about $40, gaining binocular, and mechanical stage, dimmable sub-stage lighting, 4 objectives instead of 3, etc.

I can't find a proper owner's manual...the scanned .pdf file on the Swift site (now Chinese) is all screwed-up...sentences don't continue from one numbered page to the next, for example. The exact same file is mirrored on several microscope forum sites, with same errors.

Plus, this manual covers a version (despite same model number) where the "open" end of the stage faces away from the operator, whereas mine has a stage where the free edge of the stage faces the operator, as do the ocular tubes, of course.

Plus, there is a lever on the frame that appears to be a lock of some sort, pictured in the diagram, yet not identified or described in the corrupted manual copy. It is about 1/2" above the concentric coarse/fine focus controls, but is on one side only, not ambidextrous as the focusing knobs are. It does not seem to do anything, regardless of position it's in...it turns 180°, from horizontal to horizontal.

I'm looking for info. about the version I have, and hopefully a link to a better downloadable user-manual.

Many thanks in advance...

lorez

Re: "new" Swift M1000D info needed

#2 Post by lorez » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:25 am

Plus, there is a lever on the frame that appears to be a lock of some sort, pictured in the diagram, yet not identified or described in the corrupted manual copy. It is about 1/2" above the concentric coarse/fine focus controls, but is on one side only, not ambidextrous as the focusing knobs are. It does not seem to do anything, regardless of position it's in...it turns 180°, from horizontal to horizontal.
The lever is a "pre-focus" stop. There is a spring-loaded plunger in the arm and above the stage block. When the lever is in the released position the plunger moves vertically freely. Once you have the point where you want to set the stop position you move the lever and it will lock the plunger. If your lever moves more than a few degrees, maybe 30-45, or so, it is loose on the shaft and needs to be tightened by the allen screw in the lever. It is common for the lubricant on the plunger to dry and sieze the plunger in a position where it will have no effect.

There is not too much on the M1000D that is out of the ordinary, other that the pre-focus stop, and a little general reading should tell you all you should need to know about how it works.

A quick search brought me to this:

https://www.microscopeworld.com/Images/ ... Manual.pdf

It's what came with the scope.

lorez

Karl in NY

Re: "new" Swift M1000D info needed

#3 Post by Karl in NY » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:29 am

Thank you. There is both a slotted screw and a metric Allen-head set screw on that lever...how do I determine in which position I tighten them, however, neither are loose?

Also, that lever will actually rotate far more than 180°, except its counter-clockwise rotation is stopped by interference with the stage in its lowest position...there is no feedback from the lever gaining more resistance when rotated, either.

Yet another thing is the 3rd concentric knob, larger in diameter than the coarse focus knob...but, the manual I have only describes it in one sentence as a tension control for the coarse focus, yet I can see little effect of rotating it.

BTW, of the 4 objectives, both the 40x (400-power) and 100x (1000x power, oil immersion) are both spring-loaded to prevent damage to either lense or slide if focused excessively toward the slide. The 'scope specs state all 4 objectives are parfocal, and I would always be starting with lowest power. And, for my current interests, I doubt that 1000-power would ever be used, and 400-power only used seldom.

Sorry to be so dumb, but at this point am just getting back into hobby use, after a 40-year hiatus, since my last university course using these devices, why I'm posting in the Beginner's Corner sub-forum.