microscopes and temperature control

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
cpsTN

microscopes and temperature control

#1 Post by cpsTN » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:42 pm

I am currently keeping my scopes in a mostly empty garage that is NOT temperture controlled. Will the ups and downs of seasonal changes adversely effect the optics or other workings of the intruments? Where I live, Middle Tennessee, USA, is NOT subject to harsh winters, only 30s/40s*F, often in the 60s*F. We can easily get into the upper 90s*F or over 100*F in summer with high humidity. The car is NOT keep in the garage, as the garage is enclosed and attached to the house.
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo
...objectives: 1x, 3x
...EPs: 5x, 10x, 15x

75RR

Re: microscopes and temperature control

#2 Post by 75RR » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:05 pm

I think high humidity is a bigger problem than heat or cold, particularly as those seasonal temperature changes are fairly gradual.
In areas of high humidity is is best that the microscope covering be able to breathe to avoid trapping condensation which encourages fungus growth.

"Fungal contamination can best be minimized by reducing the humidity of the room either by air conditioning or by installing an infrared lamp above the microscope (at a minimum distance of 150 cm or 5 Feet). Fungal contamination is almost impossible to remove." The Clean Microscope

http://microscopy.duke.edu/downloads/Th ... scsope.pdf
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:29 am

Hi, Charles, in finger-lakes/NY I keep my 6" achro: Sky-Watcher refractor telescope in the unheated out building. Yes I cover it loosely to avoid dust and any droppings from rodents which use this out building as shelter.

1) are you aware of rodents or other critters which share your unheated:'out building', where you store your stands?! Indeed critters use you out-building.

2) I keep my pristine 5" Star Fire/Astrophysics apo refractor in my indoor home.

3) microscopes have oh so many lens systems...interfaces in which moisture swings can cause havoc...I advise you not to keep microscopes in an 'unheated-out building'.

thanks for this topic you posted, Charles. charlie guevara, finger lakes/US

cpsTN

#4 Post by cpsTN » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:00 am

I keep my 8" dob in the garage and have for years. I just didn't know if it was OK to do that with the microscopes.
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo
...objectives: 1x, 3x
...EPs: 5x, 10x, 15x

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:27 pm

When the temperature swings from low to high, there is usually an increase in humidity too. Heavy metal objects, like microscopes, warm up much slower than the air causing the rising humidity to condense on metal parts and lenses. Over time this will cause oxidation, even on chromed or enameled parts and may increase the possibility of fungal growth on exposed surfaces. I saved an AO 20 from an unheated garage once and every chrome on steel or chrome on cast part was rusted and some of the enamel was lifting. Lenses were fine. Keeping dessicants under a good cover that goes right to the table they sit on, may help but dessicants , such as silica gel need to be dried out in an oven or dehydrator every now and then , especially in humid weather to be useful.