Spider mites!

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Pat Thielen

Spider mites!

#1 Post by Pat Thielen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:44 pm

I discovered I have spider mites on my palm (plant that is, not my hand)!
:o

This is both a bad and good thing. Bad, because... Spider mites. But good, because... Microscope! I have a question, and I apologize that it involves a rather complex response. But I would certainly appreciate anyone willing to walk me through he process.

What I would like to do is make a permanent slide or two of these wee beasties. My problem is that I really don't know how to go about doing it in order to make a truly permanent slide. I do have mounting media, although I don't know what kind it is specifically because all the bottle says is permanent mounting media, flammable, and do not ingest. I would assume I would simply put that on the slide and mount the cover glass to it -- That part shouldn't be so difficult. What I am wondering about is how I go about prepping the spider mite for the slide.

Do I need to use various strengths of alcohol to dehydrate it? Are there any specific stains that would be good? Do I need to heat fix it to the slide? If anyone could give me a good step by step process (for dummies) I would be incredibly grateful. Years ago when I was a kid I mounted a mosquito on a depression slide by simply filling it with Canada Balsam and letting it dry. I may have used four strengths of alcohol first, but I don't quite remember (25%, 50%, 75% and finally 100%). I would like to make sure any slides I make now are done correctly.

Thanks much!
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Culicoides

Re: Spider mites!

#2 Post by Culicoides » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Pat, try Insect Microscopy by Andrew Chick, from Amazon, UK price around 17gbp. This will give you all the information you need for your spider mites and other Arthropoda.
Good luck!
John

rabitt

#3 Post by rabitt » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Also check out my posting "You need to purchase this book" under Resources. Lots of info on processing and fixing the various critters.

Rich B

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi Pat, perhaps take a quick look at this post dealing with the mounting of a fly and/or maggot - some detailed steps included....
preserving and mounting a fly/maggot

It may give you some ideas. :)
John B

Pat Thielen

#5 Post by Pat Thielen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:56 am

Thanks a ton for the info -- That really helps. Now, because these mites are so small I wonder how to work with them effectively; perhaps do all of what you said in your post under the stereoscope? I did save some of them in a jar before I sprayed the plants with mite killer -- It really worked. So I did manage to see the spider mites up close. They are called two-spotted mites and are quite common. I still have no idea how my plants got them, though. I don't think the theory of spontaneous generation should be so easily dismissed!
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#6 Post by Pat Thielen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:21 am

Culicoides wrote:Pat, try Insect Microscopy by Andrew Chick, from Amazon, UK price around 17gbp. This will give you all the information you need for your spider mites and other Arthropoda.
Good luck!
John

Thanks -- I just ordered the book and it should arrive on the 13th. Free shipping rox!
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#7 Post by Pat Thielen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:22 am

rabitt wrote:Also check out my posting "You need to purchase this book" under Resources. Lots of info on processing and fixing the various critters.

Rich B

Thanks much! In addition to a couple microscope I also apparently need a library!
:D
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#8 Post by Pat Thielen » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:34 am

I came across this old post of mine. And I have to say -- The stupid mites are back. I sprayed the plant down again last night and I can only hope that will take care of it. Does anyone here happen to know the life cycle of spider mites? I suspect that I got rid of the adults but not the eggs. Oddly enough, they seem to have been gone until now. This time I think I caught them early.

Sadly, I never did manage to make any slides of them. I think I was too intent on getting them off my poor plant.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

MichaelG.

#9 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:44 am

Pat Thielen wrote: Does anyone here happen to know the life cycle of spider mites?
I didn't ... but I do now:
:arrow: http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn ... d_mite.htm

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:20 am

Interesting!

Think this is the relevant sentence:

The twospotted spider mite develops a resistance to most acaricides after prolonged use. Most miticides are not effective on eggs.
Therefore two or more applications of the miticide will be required at five-day intervals during the summer or seven-day intervals during the winter.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#11 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:47 am

About the mites (not microscopy) from personal experience:

They are often numerous and active in the spring, they like warm, dry weather. Are not sensitive to the common commercial sprays. Once settled on the plant, they are very difficult to get rid of. They can kill plants in both indoors and outdoors.
One way to fight them, which I never tried, is frequent spraying of the plant with water or a very weak solution of soap or dish washing detergent.