A manipulator question

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
jimur

A manipulator question

#1 Post by jimur » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 pm

My thanks to Klaus Kemp and Diatoms Ireland for making this design available to the DIY hobbyist.
Though I may never learn to use it properly I decided to fabricate myself a Kemp type micro manipulator. It is currently mounted as temporary in the position shown and works as intended. My question is, "Are there reasons I should not drill and tap two small holes in the stand to facilitate a more positive attachment of the shown mounting bracket in this same location?". Your thoughts are much appreciated.
1-IMG_8492-001.JPG
1-IMG_8492-001.JPG (147.58 KiB) Viewed 5951 times
"You're never too old to have a happy childhood"
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

75RR

Re: A manipulator question

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:35 pm

That looks good. If possible I would like to see some close up photos of it and of how you have it attached at the moment.
Would also be interesting to see where the two small holes would go and how they would hold the manipulator.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

KurtM

#3 Post by KurtM » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Speaking as somebody who has made and used a micromanipulator, I'd say go for it. If you are capable of making one, seems you'd be sufficiently alert to take the stand's value into due consideration prior to modifying it, and avoid drilling into anything you shouldn't. In the meantime, I cannot see how a pair of small, cleanly tapped holes could compromise its function, or kill its value.

Being able to remove and replace a micromanipulator in a positive and repeatable manner would be of immense value to me. In fact, this post may cause me to revisit my own mounting, with a view to doing just what you propose! As it is, removal and replacement is a fussy pain in the fanny.

PS: Please give us a "show-and-tell" on your micromanipulator! 8-)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 pm

I second what Kurt posted...

BillT

Charles

#5 Post by Charles » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:24 pm

I have one of those in a C-clamp model.

The thing to keep in mind is how the sample is to be moved. If the sample is moved by hand on top of an empty stage, you could mount it to any stationary position on the stage where the needle end will always be in the center of view and the control knobs on the manipulator is in a good erogonomical position. Needle lengths vary and you would need to be able to move the needle holder in the x-y direction to get it centered.

If the sample is to be moved via the mechanical slide holders, you would need to make sure it clears the mechanical slide and the slide when it is moved and still access the center of view.

jimur

#6 Post by jimur » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:49 pm

Due to my inexperience I don't have much to offer. I can say in the configuration shown the manipulator has ample clearance and nice ergonomic position with the stage and slide carrier at all positions and the needle remains centered. My slide carrier can handle two slides side by side but it does get in the way if trying to move the slides by hand. Using the carrier it seems pretty easy to move from one slide to the other. I can reach the controls with very slight movement of my right hand. Using my left hand to fine focus speeds the process some what. Again, I'm a rookie and not about to set any speed records but I certainly don't feel as if I'm fumbling. That thought may change as I gain experience.
I have not as yet used pulled glass needles. I have some tubes ordered and don't mind telling you I find the idea of pulling needles a little intimidating. On the other hand, I have replaced my temporary needle multiple times intentionally setting it at differing lengths and the x-y adjustments take only a short time to replace and recenter within the field of view. Once again that time frame may seem very lengthy to me down the road. For now I'm quite pleased. The z axis adjustment has been minimal and my hand never completely leaves the focus knob.
I may hold off a while before I drill those holes and leave it attached with the heat sensitive adhesive which is holding it fast now. I may shelve the whole thing once I try pulling glass needles. :roll: One seemingly great feature is I can remove all but the bracket in about a minute and set the entire device on another stand having it's own bracket.
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

KurtM

#7 Post by KurtM » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:25 am

Pulling glass needles is no big deal. You'll surely go through a few getting the hang of it, but probably already see it coming. Way I look at it, if you've made it this far, I seriously doubt pulling needles will stop you now. Bet it's one of those things that just sounds scarier than it really is.

I'd still like to see some detailed pics of your creation, and hear comments on the making of it. 8-)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

billbillt

#8 Post by billbillt » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Here is a link to the "KEMP MICROMANIPULATOR" discussed here..

https://www.diatomsireland.com/micromanipulator-intro/

BillT

jimur

#9 Post by jimur » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 am

The instructional at https://www.diatomsireland.com/ is easily followed and no doubt much better than I could provide. I'm unsure of how much of those I can duplicate here and remain within the guidelines of this forum as well as the limited permission granted by diatoms ireland as they hold exclusive rights to the design.
Rather than using coins and purchased parts I made the barrel screw, arm retainer, and arm connectors from round stock. Should anyone be interested I can provide info of those. Later today I add some details for the bracket I'm using.
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

billbillt

#10 Post by billbillt » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi Jimur,

Please DO forward more details!... This is a very interesting subject...

BillT

KurtM

#11 Post by KurtM » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:14 pm

"KEMP MICROMANIPULATOR" discussed here https://www.diatomsireland.com/micromanipulator-intro/
Sorry, I guess I wrongly assume that everybody in the whole world just happens to know about the website above. But almost certainly, anybody who has actually made and/or used a micromanipulator knows of it and has studied it probably several times over. I further imagine that practically anyone/everyone who ever used this most instructive presentation to build one of their own has made some departures in their rendition, and these variations are precisely what I am most interested in seeing, or at least hearing about.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

charlie g

#12 Post by charlie g » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:17 pm

Hello,jimur...great thread..thanks to all for the links and talk of pulled glass work needles.

My forums of microscopy (yahoo groups, especially) years ago suggested use of specific animal hairs, eg. cat wisker or other hairs for diatom work needles. Has anyone here recall of these diatom work tools?

I myself have used a quality student microscope as prototype for the : Z axis of motion for a work tool...the microscope one observes with supplies the X and Y axis of motions for micromanipulations. The Z-axis fine focus is operated with a left hand, while the mechanical-stage is operated with right hand (coaxial stage controls really permit fluid movements).

Quality, stable and heavy based student microscopes provide excellent Z-axis motion..and the fine focus control is so much easier to delfly operate than thumb screws attached to the observational microscope stage. I'd encourage jimur and others to give this a try.

Great thread, thanks for the useful links. Charlie guevara

jimur

#13 Post by jimur » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks for the info Charlie, I'll certainly look in to that.

KurtM ---> I understand your comments completely. I feel almost as if I'm reinventing the wheel here. :lol: But hey, it's all interesting and fun to hash around. And I for one benefit from the expertise and input you guys provide.

@ 75RR ---> The bracket is made from 3/8" thick 6061 aluminum and being held in place with a "lok-tite" type heat sensitive adhesive. The actual Lock tite brand would work as would a number of others. I've included a couple of down and dirty snap shots here showing the location of the future mounting holes, some clearances, and one of the retainer rod, wheel and hub.
(no laughing) ;)
The images show the stage at it's highest point and the slide carrier at it's rearmost position. Centering the needle in the field of view in this configuration allows me to move the slides via the carrier while the needle remains centered. Once centered no other X-Y adjustments are required of the manipulator. The barrel knob adjusts the Z axis. Keep in mind very little movement is needed for clearance. Charlie's statements mention Z axis control via the stage movement which would seem to involve refocusing. Perhaps someone here has copies of those files he mentioned.
OK, enough for now.
Attachments
IMG_8508.JPG
IMG_8508.JPG (46.71 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
IMG_8513.JPG
IMG_8513.JPG (127.57 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
IMG_8509.JPG
IMG_8509.JPG (101.24 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

KurtM

#14 Post by KurtM » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:27 am

Charlie needs to post some sort of illustration to clear up his meaning. I think I follow what he means, but not at all sure how it'd actually be implemented... :?:

jimur, may I ask where you are? I thought you were European at first, but now sounds like you're USA? Not being nosy (yes I am), but it helps when discussing things of this sort.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

jimur

#15 Post by jimur » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:22 am

Hi Kurt, based on profile info I'm located about 600 miles NE of you. A town often referred to as "home of the brave", Memphis, Tn.
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

charlie g

#16 Post by charlie g » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi jimur and Kurt. The Z-axis is a study student microscope (these are cheap..and have excellent fine focus movements.)..your work tool is attached to this student microscopes moving part...either the stage moves... or more commonly with student microscopes..the body tube moves.

This study DIY Z-axis tool/the student microscope is simply placed next to the observational microscope which controls the X and Y motions.

all the best, Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/NY