Zeiss Epiplan HD

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
wstenberg

Zeiss Epiplan HD

#1 Post by wstenberg » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:28 am

I'm trying to get my epi-illumination set up on my Zeiss Standard. So far I have just one objective, a 16x, but I would like to get some more. I see many Epiplan HD for sale, but they don't have "160/-" engraved on them, neither do they have "infinity". How do I know if these will work in my 160mm microscope? I looked through the old Zeiss catalog, but couldn't figure it out...

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

75RR

Re: Zeiss Epiplan HD

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:17 am

Have you looked through the Zeiss Optical Systems Brochure?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4323
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

wstenberg

#3 Post by wstenberg » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:43 am

Thanks. Yes, I looked through the Zeiss Brochure. They are on Page 60. It's just not clear. They only show one side of the objectives on the brochure photo, so can't see if there is a "160" engraved on the back. Maybe someone else sees something there that I'm missing. The problem is: some have "160". some have "infinity" and some have nothing. What are the nothings? They seem to be the most commonly available... I just wonder if they are really for the 160 microscope?
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:53 am

What does your epiplan HD 16X have on it? The Epiplan HD is for both brightfield and darkfield.

If your objective turret has the larger M24 thread size, the Epiplan HD objectives shown on page 60 is the type you want to get. They do not have the 160 or infinity printed on them. These also have the larger M24 thread size.

wstenberg

#5 Post by wstenberg » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:54 pm

My Epiplan objective just has a stock number on it. It fits the M24 size turret and seems to work just fine. Thanks for the help. That's good news. I just received a second one in the mail today, 40x, so I'm glad I can use them. I still need a low power... It also came with an adapter for M24 to some non-RMS thread. Not sure what that's for, but don't need it now.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar