Microscope questions for beginners

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
lorez

Microscope questions for beginners

#1 Post by lorez » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:57 am

Hello all,

For the last year I have been downsizing my assortment of microscopes and as part of the process have been giving suitable microscopes to aspiring young beginners who range in ages from 13 to 18. Tonight I was visiting with a friend's 13 year old son and asked if he had a microscope. He told me that his favorite class was math... so, we talked a little about the math involved in using a microscope.

Our visit made me think a bit and I thought it would be fun to add a little to the package, which now includes a microscope, blank and prepared slides, coverslips, pipettes, petri dishes, lens tissue, and immersion oil when appropriate.

What I am thinking about is a question sheet that may stimulate a little thought beyond the simple use of the microscope. An example of a math question may involve something like computing the total magnification, or calculating the size of the field of view. There is so much of interest that can grow from a seed planted by using a microscope that a few questions may open a couple of doors.

Nothing would add to the microscope kit more than a sheet of questions from microscopists, such as all of you, from around the world.

If you have questions or suggestions please share.

Thanks,
lorez

PeteM

Re: Microscope questions for beginners

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:11 am

Great idea, Lorez. I'll be interested to hear what questions come up.

One thing I've tried with kids is have a little science lesson with each specimen. Some examples:

- Epi illuminated bit of silicon wafer, viewed at several magnifications. The lesson is that the smaller the circuit, the faster the computer. AKA "Moore's Law."

- Red blood cell. One lesson is that CO binds easier than O2 -- why CO is so dangerous.

- Strawberry under a stereo microscope. A unique fruit with its seeds on the outside.

- Various blades (X-acto, razor, etc.) under a microscope. Differences in sharpness possible.

- Most any cell and nucleus. Discussion of where the DNA resides and what it does.

- Various grippy bits of insect legs, pollen . . .

- Diatoms and where much of the world's oxygen is produced.

- Foramnifera taken from different sea bed levels -- and ways to figure out the age of things.

- Sugar crystals, minerals, drier lint under polarized light. Using lenses from an actual set of polarized clip ons (broken in half) to demonstrate how they can get their own microscope to do this. We use better polarizers for extended viewing.

- "Cell-fies" . . . imaging ones own cells and taking a picture with a cell phone camera.

The best way of gaining interest I know is to make a deal with parents (grandparents, even better) that they'll spend 5 minutes a week looking at something. Say, on Saturday morning. Then every dead bug, trip to the beach, hike, hour in the garden, afternoon cooking, time in the shop, etc. provides a viewing opportunity.

One idea recently had -- but not yet put into action -- is a sort of play on honey I shrunk the kids (and they're brilliant). One way to think of magnification, say 10x total, is to imagine that a 60" tall kid is now just 6" tall and can start seeing things like bugs and plants up close and personal. 100x? Just .6" tall. 1000x . . . Still not sure how this might play out with kids (fun? confusing?) but it's a thought . . . It does fit with our "Micronaut" theme.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:01 pm

PeterM
Firstly, your way of leading youngsters into science is admirable.
To the point - if the child is familiar with trigonometry, he can learn the math of wave motion. And the physics of microscopy stems from wave behaviour as well as simple ray tracing and ray geometry. Then by learning the idea of wavelength he can understand illumination, LEDS, lasers etc.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:18 pm

One age related aspect of introducing microscopes to children, that I have noticed over the years, is that up to a certain age, and it varies with the individual somewhat, there is a closer connection to viewing objects/subjects in the microscope that they can already see with their eyes. For younger children, therefore, they seem to relate to views through stereo or inspection microscopes better but the older they get, higher magnification becomes more interesting.

A benefit of stereos too is that it is easy to prepare the sample. It can be as simple as popping it under the microscope and turning on a gooseneck lamp.

One question I always have handy is: what kinds of things would you like to see under a microscope? Sometimes the answers are more interesting than the microscopy!

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:32 pm

I've had the same experience -- stereo microscopes are better for young kids. One of our grandparents says her 3 year old is having great fun trying to keep up with her 7 year old sibling. She (the grandparent) visits a couple times a week and they usually find something to look at. Their stereo scope is kept out near a kitchen window.

I started out fixing up compound microscopes for kids -- but soon learned I really needed more stereo scopes and fewer compound scopes. And also that a 4x objective on a compound microscope was desirable rather than 10x as the usual lowest power.

Having teaching heads on the compound scopes is another plus -- easier to make sure you and another on the same "page" and actually have their head properly focused. Not entirely sure yet, but it seems that actually looking through a scope beats having a small video screen hooked up to either a trinocular or teaching head.