Zeiss Tessovar

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
wstenberg

Zeiss Tessovar

#1 Post by wstenberg » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:41 am

IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG (138.63 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
I'm working on a send for my Zeiss Tessovar lens system. As you can see, it's a work in progress. I'm trying to figure out how to connect a digital camera to it. The instructions show a Zeiss film camera, but I need to connect a modern digital SLR to it. There must be a special adapter that connects the Zeiss dovetails to the camera, but I don't know what it would be called.
I don't have the camera yet, but thinking of getting a Canon or Nikon, primarily for this application. Any help identifying the missing pieces would be appreciated.

Thanks!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

MichaelG.

Re: Zeiss Tessovar

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:47 am

That looks a useful stand design, William

It must be nearly 30years since I made the camera mount for my Tessovar, but I do have the important 'tube length' measurement filed away somewhere.
Sorry, it may be New Year before I can access it.

I say 'important' because, although the Tessovar will produce an image at various distances, it behaves much better if the film/sensor is correctly distanced.

For convenience; I made mine with an M42 'Pentax' screw thread, which is then easily adaptable to most other camera mounts. A good alternative might be T2 [according to taste].

I will post some details when I can.

Best Wishes
MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:28 pm

William,

Full frame sensors would offer the best optical match for Tessovar. They also have great auto focus and low light performance that smaller sensors (APSC or micro4/3) cannot match. Great for high speed (sports) too.

I heard Sony A7s, A7sII and A7RII all have silent electronic shutter, which is useful for high magnification. Nikon D850 has silent shutter too.

But note some (especially older) compound objectives (>=10x) won't cover full frame sensor very well. You need about matching projection eyepiece of about 2x in power (for compound objectives, not for your Tessovar). So corner image quality may not be good and sensor size is wasted.

For a good compromise, many Canon APSC sensor cameras that have silent electronic shutter would work well. You need matching projection eyepiece of about 1.3x, which may or may not be common though.

wstenberg

#4 Post by wstenberg » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Thank you all for the assistance. I have found the M42 adapter and tubes on eBay. Just need to go camera shopping now.

I need to add a vertical focus adjustment on the stand. I can focus with the microscope stage adjustment, but I would like the option to move the lens up and down also.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

KurtM

#5 Post by KurtM » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:30 am

MichaelG. wrote:...the Tessovar ... behaves much better if the film/sensor is correctly distanced.
I've heard that. What I haven't heard is how the correct distance is determined? I use a Canon T3i, which is APS-C, with my Tessovar.

Good to hear there are other Tessy users out there, I thought I must the only one there for a minute.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:09 pm

KurtM wrote:
MichaelG. wrote:...the Tessovar ... behaves much better if the film/sensor is correctly distanced.
I've heard that. What I haven't heard is how the correct distance is determined? I use a Canon T3i, which is APS-C, with my Tessovar.

Good to hear there are other Tessy users out there, I thought I must the only one there for a minute.
I determined the correct distance by asking Zeiss UK
The answer was: Flange to Film Plane = 64mm +/- 0.1mm

Note: With a digital sensor, that tolerance might be a little loose;
+/- 0.05mm would probably be safer.

When it's right, the zoom operates with negligible focus shift.

MichaelG.

P.S. I currently use the Panasonic Lumix G1 body on mine.
Edit: Before anyone asks ... Here is a very useful list of 'register' distances
http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin ... ister.html
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:26 pm

wstenberg wrote:Thank you all for the assistance. I have found the M42 adapter and tubes on eBay. Just need to go camera shopping now.

I need to add a vertical focus adjustment on the stand. I can focus with the microscope stage adjustment, but I would like the option to move the lens up and down also.
William,

Although you could easily [?] cannibalise a microscope stand to do the job; the obvious answer is to use the Zeiss Supplementary Rack & Pinion:
Zeiss Part Number: 47 52 10
Zeiss Part Number: 47 52 10
Tessovar_Rack.jpeg (418.85 KiB) Viewed 4628 times
If you are seriously interested, I may be prepared to sell mine, or trade it for something interesting.
... I have recently purchased a Wild stand with a built-in focus rack.

MichaelG.

Happy Christmas to all, and Best Wishes for 2018
Too many 'projects'

KurtM

#8 Post by KurtM » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:42 am

MichaelG. wrote:I determined the correct distance by asking Zeiss UK
The answer was: Flange to Film Plane = 64mm +/- 0.1mm
Very interesting. A quick Google session clued me in that the distance between a camera flange and sensor is known as "...the flange focal distance (FFD), also known as the flange-to-film distance, flange focal depth, flange back distance (FBD), flange focal length (FFL), or register..." (Dang - wonder why so many names for the same thing?!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

I then found that my number (Canon EF & EF-S) is 44mm, which means I need a 20mm spacer according to the 64mm value given above.

Thanks MichaelG! Now to give it a try...
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

wstenberg

#9 Post by wstenberg » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:32 am

Thanks everyone for all the help!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat