Cheap microscope or am I doing something wrong?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
DrGava

Cheap microscope or am I doing something wrong?

#1 Post by DrGava » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:42 pm

Hello, my wife bought me an 80$ microscope for Christmas, I was super excited but when ever I focus in on an object I get a kaleidoscope like effect where all the cells radiate so much light that any of the finer details gets completely obscured.

I've tried with the premade slides but they weren't worth ten cents. So I made my own slide using everything from cells from the inside of my cheek to onion skin. All with the same results.

Anyone ever have this trouble or can suggest things to try?

zzffnn

Re: Cheap microscope or am I doing something wrong?

#2 Post by zzffnn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:43 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure all subjects "radiate" light?

Such effect could be caused by misaligned condenser (or purposely produced oblique by using light blocking filters under condenser). It is quite uncommon though, if you did not do it purposely.

A photo taken through microscope would help a lot to confirm it.

You can try to move condenser horizontally to see if anything changes. In case your condenser height is not optimal, change that to see as well (many times people use condenser at a position that is too low).

If you don't have a condenser with that microscope, move aperture wheel to see if anything is blocking part of your light source.

DrGava

#3 Post by DrGava » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:57 pm

Hmm, I went back to try and take a picture and the problem seems to be gone. Time to make more slides! This microscope is definitely not going to be enough to satisfy me and I'm going to need to get real dyes instead of food coloring but time to start my microscopy adventures. Thanks for the quick reply and good luck with future projects!

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:57 pm

DrGava wrote:Hmm, I went back to try and take a picture and the problem seems to be gone. Time to make more slides! This microscope is definitely not going to be enough to satisfy me and I'm going to need to get real dyes instead of food coloring but time to start my microscopy adventures. Thanks for the quick reply and good luck with future projects!
Looking forward to seeing more!..

BillT

einman

#5 Post by einman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:41 pm

Welcome to the forum!!

Many worlds to explore!

ajmckay

#6 Post by ajmckay » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:50 pm

Welcome to the forum I'm just getting into this as well - as a hobby.

That's odd that you saw that kaleidoscope effect. No clue what it could have been but it sounds related to adjustment or procedure given it suddenly went away.

Good luck!