New microscope troubleshooting

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
RNoelkeND

New microscope troubleshooting

#1 Post by RNoelkeND » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:19 am

Hi there, I am a student in Naturopathic medical school and I recently purchased a microscope with the intent of viewing live blood cells in both phase contrast and darkfield. I purchased this scope:

http://www.microscopenet.com/omax-40x25 ... 11477.html

I was advised by a rep at microscope.net that this unit would be able to easily switch back and forth between dry darkfield and phase.

I got it all set up and prepared a slide of live blood. I have been able to see the specimen with a 4X/0.10 objective and a Plan PH10x/0.25 objective. However when I try to achieve a higher magnification using the Plan PH40x/0.65 objective I am not having any luck. I begin with the stage raised as close as possible and then back it down as slowly as possible while also trying the fine tuning knob along the way. I have done this under both eyepieces (10X and 25X) and have tried all of the different settings on the phase turret. I am not able to see anything however.

I would post pics but alas I am also having trouble getting the camera to work. I have confirmed that the camera itself is functioning because when I take it off of the scope and wave my hand over it I can see the image change on the screen.

If anyone has any ideas as to why I can only see things under 4X and 10X or why the camera isn't picking up anything I'd love to hear.

Thanks

Rob

MicroBob

Re: New microscope troubleshooting

#2 Post by MicroBob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:54 am

Hi Rob,
when you use the 40x objective - don't you get a sharp picture or can't you see any light?

The 25x eyepiece is mostly a marketing gag: When you magnify the image of the objective this much you see things bigger but not sharper than with the 10x eyepiece. You may try whether it appears useful with the low magnification objectives.

For testing the microscope I would not use blood but a flat object with much contrast in it like some fine dark cotton fibres in water. Do you use a cover slide on top of you blood sample?

Bob

Charles

#3 Post by Charles » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Hello Rob,

The microscope you linked to comes with a 10X, 20X, 40X and 100X Plan Phase objectives and 5X, 10X, 40X and 100X Plan objectives with a phase condenser. It does not mention a field iris for Kohler. Considering the price and features of your microscope, I would assume your objectives are parfocal and parcentric. Meaning if you can view your specimen with the 10X and it is in focus, turning it to the 20X and 40X objective, the specimen should still be in focus with minor adjustment with you fine focus. So, first focus sharply on a specimen with the 10X objective. Once in focus, turn in the 20X objective or 40X objective and using the fine focus, refine the fine focus so things are in sharp focus.

The camera comes with software which needs to be installed. There should also be a lever or knob on the trinocular head to allow the image to be viewed by the eyepieces only or trinocular head. Look down the trinocular tube and as you move the lever or knob, see what position allows the light to come through the trinocular tube. If you still have problems viewing the specimen through the camera on the trinocular tube, than you may need to download the latest camera software for your camera.

RNoelkeND

#4 Post by RNoelkeND » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:37 am

Thank you Bob and Charles for your replies. I figured out that the slide needs to be almost touching the objective (but not quite) in order to get a good view with the 40X. I guess I just didn't realize how close it actually needed to be. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

As for the camera, I contacted microscopenet and am waiting to hear back from them. The camera and software both work for sure because I can put the camera in one of the binocular tubes and it works fine. I tried looking into the trinocular tube and adjusting the knob that Charles mentioned and there doesn't seem to be any light getting in at all. I'll see what they say.

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 am

RNoelkeND wrote:Thank you Bob and Charles for your replies. I figured out that the slide needs to be almost touching the objective (but not quite) in order to get a good view with the 40X. I guess I just didn't realize how close it actually needed to be. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

As for the camera, I contacted microscopenet and am waiting to hear back from them. The camera and software both work for sure because I can put the camera in one of the binocular tubes and it works fine. I tried looking into the trinocular tube and adjusting the knob that Charles mentioned and there doesn't seem to be any light getting in at all. I'll see what they say.
Hello, It occurs to me that you may have been trying to 'adjust the knob' by means of turning it this-way-and-that, exactly what I did wrong when I got my first 'scope and couldn't get light through to the camera.....
The little knob must be pulled (it won't come right out, it will stop) to open the light-path to the camera's port and vice-versa. Some 'scopes give a portion of light to the eyepieces and a portion to the camera when in this mode (allowing the eyepieces to be used at the same time as the camera) whilst others completely cut off the light to the eyepieces and give it all to the camera.

So, try pulling the knob to divert light to the camera, and vice-versa....

This knob,
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (46.33 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
Good luck.

John B.
John B

john_stephanie

#6 Post by john_stephanie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:41 am

mrsonchus wrote:
RNoelkeND wrote:Thank you Bob and Charles for your replies. I figured out that the slide needs to be almost touching the objective (but not quite) in order to get a good view with the 40X. I guess I just didn't realize how close it actually needed to be. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Hello, It occurs to me that you may have been trying to 'adjust the knob' by means of turning it this-way-and-that, exactly what I did wrong when I got my first 'scope and couldn't get light through to the camera.....
The little knob must be pulled (it won't come right out, it will stop) to open the light-path to the camera's port and vice-versa. Some 'scopes give a portion of light to the eyepieces and a portion to the camera when in this mode (allowing the eyepieces to be used at the same time as the camera) whilst others completely cut off the light to the eyepieces and give it all to the camera.

So, try pulling the knob to divert light to the camera, and vice-versa....

This knob,
Capture.JPG

Good luck.

John B.
Hi
John

Thanks for your valuable answer, I have purchased a new microwave oven and it occurs same problem. Find out the solution. Now I will try pulling the knob to divert light to the camera and vice-versa.

John Stephanie