making staining jelly

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
amu

making staining jelly

#1 Post by amu » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:24 pm

I would like information for making a small amount of glycerin jelly with basic Fuchsin added. I also have Thymol crystals to add for mold prevention.

Some of what I have read says dissolve 1 crystal of basic Fuchsin, my basic Fuchsin is a powder. Also for the Thymol it says dissolve 1 crystal but the crystals are all different sizes.
Also it says to dissolve in 96% alcohol. Here we have 91% rubbing alochol or 90 proof vodka the state doesn't allow alcohol any stronger to be sold. Should I use rubbing alcohol or vodka?

Am I trying to be to exact? Recipe please.

JimT

Re: making staining jelly

#2 Post by JimT » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Can only answer your last question. 90 proof vodka is only 45% alcohol so use the rubbing alcohol.

Good luck with the rest of the recipe.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi, add some Fuschin until it's a strong vivid red (this will take less that you think) to the 96% alcohol. Try perhaps 5ml of the alcohol to a tiny pinch of powder (on end of teaspoon handle maybe) and keep adding until its about as transparent as very rich strawberry jam....
Let it mix and settle then add this 'liquid stain' to the clear jelly in a similar manner until you get a red jelly that is about half the strength (in terms of colour) of the liquid stain.
Add a medium grain of thymol when making your clear jelly (make about 50ml of jelly) - I use Listerine (ala W. Dioni) and it works perfectly! I don't think the jelly is particularly sensitive to this addition be it thymol crystal or Listerine mouthwash....

Make a quick slide with the new red jelly and alter its intensity by mixing your 'stock' (darkest red) jelly with your clear jelly until you get a mix that stains your subject how you like it - I usually try not to over-stain pollen grains - probably with a mix that results in a barely coloured background when viewed under the 'scope - it will look a lot darker when the slide is looked at with the naked eye.

You will end up with a stock of red jelly just like the prepared one I use, and a pot of clear jelly that can be used to make any strength you need according to your subject.

Or - buy some prepared Fuschin jelly and mix with your own clear jelly - this is what I do and it's very convenient - also the prepared red jelly will have thymol or similar already added.

When making the glycerin jelly slides keep everything warm at about 50-60 deg C, that's slides, jelly and coverslips. This makes the process far more likely to end well. I use a coffee cup warming plate that I bought new online for about £7 delivered.

Have a try, I bet you get it easily. Good luck.

p.s. make exact notes of all procedures and quantities/ratios so that you can reproduce or modify them at a later date.

regards
John B

Peter

#4 Post by Peter » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:39 pm

Hi Amu,
I could not find a formulation for glycerin jelly with basic Fuchsin however my reading leads me to believe that 0.3% weight to volume may be an appropriate starting quantity. As for the alcohol, methylated spirits is 95% alcohol. Thymol appears to be a reasonably powerful fungicide so I would suggest you use an average to smallish crystal (depending on the total quantity of jelly being made).
If you could post the formula you are working from we may be able to give more or better pointers.
Best of luck.
Peter.

amu

#5 Post by amu » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:40 pm

I have not made the glycerin jelly yet but I have dissolved some basic Fuschin powder in rubbing alcohol, all I had was 91% but I found I can get 99% from Amazon so I will. Then I used some of it to stain in a medium I like which is clear glue (Elmer's washable clear glue) and vegetable glycerin. You mix the glue and glycerin 1:1 but before hand put a tad of water in the glycerin so the glue mixes in easier. I added a few drops of stain to the glue/glycerin to practice staining pollen. I mix 1 oz at a time because a little goes a long way. I have a bouquet of Peruvian lilies, Alstroemeria, from the grocery since we are under 5 feet of snow here. Peruvian lilies are a good practice flower for winter because they are inexpensive $4.99 US, there are dozens of blossoms and they last 2 to 3 weeks.

Thanks for all your suggestions and when I get around to making the jelly I will let you know how it turns out. I am heading to the far south to help a beekeeper make queens and am bummed I can't bring a microscope.

Amu