Photography related questions for beginner.

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
shelbyc

Photography related questions for beginner.

#1 Post by shelbyc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi,

So I'm looking at microscopes, and I have been reading a LOT. The way I understand it, the 'best of the best' would be a microscope with infinity optics and then using a DSLR set up. I currently have a Pentax K-50, and so I'll need to purchase adapters for that, but it seems that most places only have Canon/Nikon adapters, and the Asahi Pentax adapter is pretty hard to find (for me). Are there any suggestions that you can throw out? I haven't really grasped if I'm using a DSLR, with the intention of stacking, if I would actually need to have the infinity optic or if the achromatic would work.

I started out looking at a microscope that was about $100, and progressively found myself looking at $600+ ones. However, I'm completely new to the entire thing, and if I'm having to purchase adapters for my DSLR, are the any recommendations for something that will be of higher quality for a beginner? I want high quality images because I'll be comparing them to the Fibonacci sequence, purely for pleasure, despite being a college student.

I have an iMac and a PC, I do plan on getting software for image editing/stacking/etc. I would love to have a live view on either.

I don't understand most terminology, so if you use acronyms, please specify. I have started researching on my own, but it quickly spiraled out of control and now I'm confused by what I need versus what is being advertised as what I need, due to my lack of knowledge.

I know that was a lot of scattered information, so if I need to clarify anything, please let me know.

75RR

Re: Photography related questions for beginner.

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Hopefully this article should help clarify a few things.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... oscope.pdf
Last edited by 75RR on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

McConkey

#3 Post by McConkey » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Welcome Shelby!
I think the first question most people will be asking is what is your budget? That will usually play a big part in what you are able to buy. Does your budget include potentially getting a new DSLR? The k-50 is a fine camera and will produce great images as 16mp is still a good amount...the only issue you may run into, like you said, is finding the adapters.

I did a quick search and found this:
https://www.amazon.com/T-Mount-Telescop ... T2+adapter

It will allow you to put T2 threaded adapters onto your camera so you can connect to which ever microscope you go with.

As you mentioned imaging as something you want to di with your microscope you'll want to look for a microscope with a "trinoc head", this lets you attach a camera to the head piece of the microscope without having to give up an eyepiece.

There are a few topics already started on here in regards to buying new microscopes.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5017&hilit=beginner+advice
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4984&hilit=beginner+advice
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1178&hilit=beginner+advice

Here are a few links which might have some information you find helpful!

I'm nowhere near as experience to give any real advice on a first time purchase but speaking from my own experiences from the last 2 years (which are hugely biased) you can't go wrong with a used American Optical. You'll find that most people here use older microscopes (70's, 80's) as the build quality was immensely higher quality back then.

I hope this helps!
Karl
AO21 with Canon M3

shelbyc

#4 Post by shelbyc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Both of you have been extremely helpful. I have been looking at the AmScope website for potential purchases, but think that used may be something better to start with especially after reading that article and some other threads. I did see a selling/buying thread on here, but also saw that most microscopes sell quickly. Are there other sites that have a similar set up to purchase used equipment?

Again, thank you all so much!

amanda1

#5 Post by amanda1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:12 am

You can also read this article: https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how- ... copes.html, as for camera, I would recommend either the USB 3.0 of the Point Gray Flea3 camera, or the USB 2.0 of the UCMOS camera. As for software, I recommend altami studio

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi Shelby,

to avoid frustration you should be aware that a microscope is not a simple camera accessory that gives you nice images as soon as you connect it to your camera. Microscopy is a wide field and a difficult one too. Microphotography again is difficult for an experienced microscopist. Of cause you can manage all this but you should be aware in advance that each step takes some careful consideration.

I would suggest that you search this forum for "camera" and "afocal" and have a look at the ways other microscopists choose.

You Pentax is a heavy camera without electronic first shutter curtain and without a movable display. This makes it a usable but less than ideal micro-camera.

Bob

shelbyc

#7 Post by shelbyc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:10 pm

Hey, thank you all again.

I'll have to read those forums. I understand there are a lot of moving parts, and that it will take awhile to understand how it all works and what works best for what I want. I don't mind putting in the effort, or time, but to do any of that, I definitely need to make a move and start somewhere. I know a few people have talked about these Chinese microscopes, and I wanted to do a bit more research in to those; are there specific brands. When I typed 'chinese microscope' in to Google, it felt weird and a lot of things popped up that said to 'inquire' about price.

Again, thank you all.

MicroBob

#8 Post by MicroBob » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi Shelby,
the chinese microscopes are sold under different names depending on the country you live in. There is no doubt that the chinese are able to make good microscopes but it is a bit difficult to identify the better ones and avoid the toy microscopes. Generally it can be said that resale value of these unknown brand microscopes is low. So if you live in a place with a good used market for brand microscopes these are quite attractive in comparison. The photo adaptation is the same.

Bob