Zeiss photo support base

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
wstenberg

Zeiss photo support base

#1 Post by wstenberg » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:53 pm

ALL,
I am trying to build the system shown in the photo. The picture is from the internet. I just received the support arm for the camera, but I can't figure out how it connects to the trinocular tube. The manual mentions a "light-tight sleeve". I don't have one, I don't know what it looks like. I don't know its real function.

I wonder it it's possible to find one or make one? I have included a photo showing the lower surface of the support arm.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0264.JPG
IMG_0264.JPG (111.08 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Zeiss Standard Stand.jpg
Zeiss Standard Stand.jpg (21.13 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

75RR

Re: Zeiss photo support base

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:04 pm

The manual mentions a "light-tight sleeve".
Looks like a hood to me.
I have an afocal setup in which the camera and attached lens is suspended vertically from a tripod.
I place the lens about 1 cm above the projecting eyepiece and extend the incorporated lens hood over it.
It functions as a light tight sleeve.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:19 pm

I think that, from a purely mechanical point of view, it would be extremely difficult to have the gray supporting arm rigidly affixed to the pole AND simultaneously rigidly mounted on the photo tube, with the optical axis of the camera collinear with that of the phototube. Hence, like 75RR's setup, the supporting arm should surround the phototube top without actually touching it. Ambient light can also be blocked by means of a cloth sleeve, for example, the cloth of which raincoats are made.
Last edited by Hobbyst46 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:I think that, from a purely mechanical point of view, it would be extremely difficult to have the (gray plastic)supporting arm ...
The supporting arm is actually beautifully engineered in metal ... but yes: The missing component forms a 'light-tight labyrinth.

Leitz used something similar.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

wstenberg

#5 Post by wstenberg » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:23 pm

OK, Thanks. I think I get it. Loose connection without a rigid connection between the camera and the microscope.

Now that I know what it is, I think I've seen it. It looks like the end of a soup can attached to the end of trinocular tube. It faces up into the recess of the support and acts as a light trap. Is this right?

I found a photo of one. I just need to find one- or make one out of a soup can.

Thanks again!
Attachments
trinocular.jpg
trinocular.jpg (5.65 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:16 pm

wstenberg wrote:It faces up into the recess of the support and acts as a light trap. Is this right?
Yes, that's it. ... Happy Hunting !

MichaelG.
Edit: I see it is mentioned [but rather confusingly, not illustrated] in this brochure:
http://www.science-info.net/docs/zeiss/ ... ameras.pdf

P.S. ... There are some useful illustrations in this article:
http://www.quekett.org/resources/articl ... icroscopes
I forgot to mention that the basic design remained almost unchanged for decades:
I have an early version of the stand, in black-crackle paint, and the modern grey arm has only very small design changes.
Too many 'projects'