Getting a microscope.

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
iBeta

Getting a microscope.

#1 Post by iBeta » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:33 pm

This is my 1st post to MicrobeHunter, if it is possible to get some advice on buying a microscope.

I really had not expected to be wanting a microscope, but have started to make fermented food (Kombucha + sauerkraut so far), and especially the Kombucha can get attacked by various molds eg Aspergillus niger.
It would also be nice to get an approximate idea of lactic acid bacteria density in the sauerkraut – also to determine if they are living or not.

Once the decision to get a microscope was made, was thinking another use could be checking distilled water for general pathogens/particles. Also building material for mold (dry rot?).

It seems specific identification of bacteria is not easy, or even possible with any setup I could get, but maybe it is possible to get some information. It would be very good, for example, to be able to identify botulism vs LABs.

The very first choice was the DinoLite AM4515T8 edge with 900-920x magnification - said I was a newbie.

After this the Bresser Trino Researcher II 40-1000x (http://www.astroshop.eu/bright-field-mi ... r_1_select ) with the somewhat expensive Bresser MikroCam 5 MP (http://www.astroshop.eu/photo-cameras/b ... mp/p,16351 ).

The general idea was to get a new, reasonably priced, scope that could use dark field.
The high res camera was to help in identification of the microbes.

Anyway have panicked at the last minute, and think it might be better to get the Brunel SP150 trinocular (http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/infinity.html ) which also has an optional dark field condenser. Various people here have said plan infinity objectives are good, as is Kohler lighting. Though the product page states ‘Illumination is based on the Kohler principle’. Not sure about the ‘based on’ bit.

The Brunel costs more, but there’s no point getting something that would be useless for what is wanted.

Goes without saying, but any help would be much appreciated.

gekko

Re: Getting a microscope.

#2 Post by gekko » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Hello iBeta,
Welcome to the forum. I have not looked except at your last choice, the Brunel microscope. I don't know much about what the best scope is for checking bacteria (I hope someone more knowledgeable will chip it). But my thinking is that you will need 40x and 100x oil immersion objectives (which the Brunel has), and it would be very helpful (possibly necessary, depending on what and how you intend to look at bacteria) to be able to equip it with phase contrast (which, according to the PDF manual, is available for this model). I am assuming that you are located in Britain since you are considering Brunel. My understanding is that they are an excellent company to deal with. But, as I say, I have not checked out the other microscopes you had considered earlier. I would suggest also that you check the main MirobeHunter website which has much information about microscopes, choosing a microscope, and about observing bacteria. In addition, you will find answers to similar question in this section of the forum as well as, possibly, in other relevant sections.
Good luck!

iBeta

#3 Post by iBeta » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Hello gekko,

Thanks for the info. I think the Brunel is the best bet, I can't find any negative comments about them and they are from uk:-).

It is right that I will have to do more research, but it does seem that dark field is considered a just acceptable alternative to phase contrast - and as you pointed out I can upgrade to PC later. I would assume that the LED lighting might help with dark field, but they give no information regarding light intensity, or even equivalent wattage. Guess I'II just have to wait and find out.

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi, I have just bought (only a few weeks ago) a 'scope from Brunel - I live in Cumbria in the UK. I had chosen the SP150 for the same reasons you have - only problem was that they had none for about 2 weeks, so I went for the next 'scope up - the SP200. I can tell you with absolute conviction that Brunel are an excellent company to buy a 'scope from. The SP150 crosses the line into the 'scopes with plan-infinity objectives and I can tell you now that I am extremely pleased with my SP200.
As for my first choice, the SP150, it's quite a bit cheaper for a start.
As far as 'based on Kohler' goes, I can only think that may refer to the illumination being LED and therefore not having a filament - originally Kohler involved focusing the element's image... I can tell you that the SP200 with it's 'full Kohler' has a halogen (filament) bulb, but there is a frosted filter mounted within the lamp system that effectively makes it the same as having the LED source - so I doubt if in fact this is a difference in any way but name? Both 'scopes have the prerequisite field iris (iris immediately above lamp) for Kohler and both have a 'focusable condenser' - it can be moved up and down...
I'm a beginner too and have found the SP200 to be superb - buying the 'scope new has released me from needing to 'fiddle with the parts' to optimize it or just plain get it working to it's designed capability. I'm rubbish at building and altering 'scopes and I don't like doing it either - my interest lies with the botany and microscopy itself.
So - there are a lot of folks on this forum that know a lot more than I do - I can however give you recent, relevant and first-hand knowledge of buying a 'scope from Brunel. I buy all sorts of supplies from them - they sell stains, reagents, slides etc too.
Brunel is a superb company to buy from, and they have a very helpful sales & technical manager called Helen who is not only very helpful indeed but also knows exactly what she is talking about technically. My advice for what it's worth:
1) Purchase a new 'scope from Brunel - you can trust them.
2) Go for an SP150 or upwards.
3) Get it very clear and make a note of what you want to use the 'scope for now, and possibly in the future - microscopy can be very enjoyable and interesting in it's own right!
4) Very important - take the time to communicate with Brunel's Helen about your choice of 'scope - you will get genuine expert advice not simply sales-patter. Brunel really are interested in giving their customers what is right for them - not simply in selling them as much kit as possible.

NOTE: I am in no way whatsoever sponsored by or connected with Brunel either directly or indirectly - I am simply a long-term and very very happy customer of theirs. That's my perspective upon which I have based the above comments.

Hop this helps a bit.

p.s. You may find that bacteria, being very small indeed, are identifiable mainly by chemical+optical means rather that direct morphological examination under a 'scope - they are approaching the resolution limits of a light microscope. You may have quite a learning curve ahead of you - you're in for a very interesting and rewarding time with a 'scope! Good luck in your choice. (You can see some SP200 pictures in my 'new 'scope' posts made when I bought the mighty beast.)
John B

iBeta

#5 Post by iBeta » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:50 pm

Thanks for that - certainly will order after your feedback. And likely start counting the days - it'll probably take 3-4 to arrive.

In the beginning I'II stick to what is hopefully fairly simple stuff, like looking for mould fungi. I should think bacteria identification, even genus, is generally more difficult - possibly impossible. Without a DNA sequencer or something anyway.

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:20 pm

iBeta wrote:Thanks for that - certainly will order after your feedback. And likely start counting the days - it'll probably take 3-4 to arrive.

In the beginning I'II stick to what is hopefully fairly simple stuff, like looking for mould fungi. I should think bacteria identification, even genus, is generally more difficult - possibly impossible. Without a DNA sequencer or something anyway.
You are in for a real treat! I did the same - started simply - pollen for example can be sprinkled onto a slide, covered with water, alcohol, glycerin(e), nail polish etc, covered with a c/slip and you're off! Whatever you start with, put something liquid over it and coverslip - get it as flat & thin as you can! Waiting for the new 'scope is an agony of anticipation - enjoy and good luck!
John B