Source for Chemicals

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
JGardner

Source for Chemicals

#1 Post by JGardner » Mon May 21, 2018 2:01 am

I'm just getting back into microscopy, strictly as a hobby, and I'm having a hard time sourcing some of the chemicals needed.

Back when I was last active, during the early 1980s, I didn't have much trouble buying chemicals from some of the well-known scientific supply houses. Fast forward 35 years and now the situation is completely different and I've having trouble finding a source of chemicals such as formaldehyde, various acids, and solvents.

After doing a little research, it seems like the U.S. government has decided that anyone other than a school or business ordering chemicals must be either a terrorist making a bomb or a druggie setting up a meth lab.

How have others on this forum, especially those in the States, purchased common chemicals? Is there a reliable source, or am I out of luck?

Hobbyst46

Re: Source for Chemicals

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:27 pm

I think that the reason that the sale of many chemicals is now banned or controlled is not so much panic of terrorism but the enhanced recognition of public safety. Formaldehyde for example is highly toxic, as are aromatic solvents. Acid vapors (including glacial acetic vapors) are hazardous, etc etc. Institutes differ from individuals in that they are supposed to have appropriate facilities and trained personnel, and someone is in charge of the stuff. So they are licensed to store chemicals.
Some chemicals are still available from pharmacies though - e.g. lactic acid, 3% H2O2 (not in the US perhaps).
I am playing with diatom cleaning and mounting without harsh chemicals... :idea:

Charles

#3 Post by Charles » Mon May 21, 2018 2:01 pm

You can still get common reagents which can be purchased online on Amazon or Ebay and some in harware stores and automotive stores, like H2O2 3-14%(Some claim 30% which I doubt), HCl 30% (Muric Acid in Hardware stores), Sulfuric Acid various concentrations up to 98% (battery acid, drain cleaners), Acetone is fairly easy. These can be pricey if they need to be shipped, especially the corrosives. You can get formaldehyde 37% on Amazon

desertrat

#4 Post by desertrat » Mon May 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Electron Microscopy Sciences sells to individuals, or at least did the last time I ordered from them several years ago. The current website states in some of the fine print, "Personal orders accepted".

I used to order from Hagenow Laboratories, which catered to the non-professional individual. They have reorganized as Elemental Scientific LLC. I have not ordered from them since the reorganization, but I believe they still cater to non-professional individuals.

It's amazing what can be found on Ebay now if one is patient. Steer clear of big lab companies on Ebay who state in their fine print that chemicals can only ship to commercial addresses. I have got a lot of chemicals on Ebay.

The refusal of big lab supply companies to ship to individuals is due more to company policy than government regulation. They use that for an excuse. If you see what can be found on Ebay, and these sellers aren't getting arrested, there are really only a few chemicals that are outright illegal for individuals to buy in the USA.
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Tue May 22, 2018 12:45 pm

You might contact a university in your area. I just had a case where they were extremely helpful and mixed a chemical for me for pick up in the same evening.

It is always helpful to critically asses the handling- storage and disposal facilities one has in one's home laboratory. With children (and their mother) and pets and a kitchen cupboard for storage it might be better to stay away from dangerous stuff. In former times many microscopists were very determined and used what ever did the job without too much concern about safety and environment. I'm just a hobbyist and when I can't reach a goal with means I feel safe with I just change the goal to something else. :D

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:01 pm

MicroBob wrote:It is always helpful to critically asses the handling- storage and disposal facilities one has in one's home laboratory. With children (and their mother) and pets and a kitchen cupboard for storage it might be better to stay away from dangerous stuff. In former times many microscopists were very determined and used what ever did the job without too much concern about safety and environment. I'm just a hobbyist and when I can't reach a goal with means I feel safe with I just change the goal to something else. :D
So true! Think twice if you must use a corrosive or toxic chemical. At the minimum, place a glass tray under any container of acid and solvent, to catch the contents if it breaks. Please note that dichromate is carcinogenic.

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Tue May 22, 2018 3:37 pm

JGardner wrote: Is there a reliable source, or am I out of luck?
You might try getting a hold of a barrel of whale milk. I'm sure some Japanese or Norwegian fish broker, would be able to accommodate you. Should yield just about every chemical known to exist.

billbillt

#8 Post by billbillt » Tue May 22, 2018 3:51 pm

Charles wrote:You can still get common reagents which can be purchased online on Amazon or Ebay and some in harware stores and automotive stores, like H2O2 3-14%(Some claim 30% which I doubt), HCl 30% (Muric Acid in Hardware stores), Sulfuric Acid various concentrations up to 98% (battery acid, drain cleaners), Acetone is fairly easy. These can be pricey if they need to be shipped, especially the corrosives. You can get formaldehyde 37% on Amazon
I think battery acid comes basically at 30%.. It can easily be concentrated by boiling... I have done it..

BillT

desertrat

#9 Post by desertrat » Tue May 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Rooto professional strength drain opener is the cleanest of the concentrated sulfuric acid drain openers, and is around 94%. I used to find it at Ace Hardware, but none of the local hardware stores carry it anymore. It does turn up on Ebay.
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition

MicroBob

#10 Post by MicroBob » Wed May 23, 2018 7:36 pm

In Germany there was an online chemicals dealer about 15 years ago that basically sold everything to everybody. Then the police became aware of this and many customers of this company came into trouble. There were not documents on what they actually ordered and whether they were adults or children so the police visited those too that had just ordered salt and pepper. So it might not be a good idea to bypass those rules. But it is so tempting.... :roll:

I heard of someone who ordered a bit more of potassium nitrate. A couple of months later the police demanded to talk to him and he explained about his fertilizer experiments. His rockets flew well. :lol:

JGardner

#11 Post by JGardner » Wed May 30, 2018 4:52 am

One possible option is to set up a company solely for the purpose of ordering reagents and other items companies like Carolina have designated as “sold only to schools and businesses”. Has anyone done this? It shouldn’t be too expensive to set up an LLC for this purpose.

I appreciate the safety concerns expressed in this thread and take safety very seriously. Before I switched to my current career years ago I was a chemist and am familiar with safe handling practices and the toxic nature of things like formaldehyde. My wife and I live alone and have no pets.

MicroBob

#12 Post by MicroBob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 am

In Germany it is possible to buy some more critical chemicals, when you can state a sensible use for them. Problem ist that few suppliers like to cope with you as a low volume private buyer.
Your experience with these substances may help you to buy them because you can show that you will handle them carefully. I think your best chances are with supplier with which you can actually speak in person.