Replacement 100x Objective for Olympus cx31

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Merrygoat

Replacement 100x Objective for Olympus cx31

#1 Post by Merrygoat » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:25 pm

Hello all,

I am messaging you all from Chwele, Kenya. i am working in a local clinic where we have recently managed to—at no small effort—bring a new microscope (olympus cx31) for the lab tech here to use. However, upon arrival we realized that the 100x objective (lens? Im not quite sure the terminology) did not come with the microscope, and this is the magnification required to diagnose malaria and other common diseases here. The lab tech contacted the clinic’s medical supplier and was told the new objective would be $560. This seems like an awful lot. So my question is twofold: is this a reasonable price to pay? And secondly, amazon has 100x oil immersion objectives that cost like $50-$100, made by Amscope. Is there some reason we couldn’t use these for the microscope (aside from the fact that amazon doesnt deliver in rural kenya, which we could probably find a way around)?

I apologize if this question has already been asked, i tried to search the forum and didnt find anyone addressing this specific question. Also, apologies for any cringey uses of terminology, I’m not well versed in microscopy.

TL;DR: what is an acceptable price for a 100x oil immersion objective? Are they all interchangeable or do specific microscopes require specific lens brands?

Best,
Marty

75RR

Re: Replacement 100x Objective for Olympus cx31

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:55 pm

This should help with the terminology.

http://frankshospitalworkshop.com/equip ... Manual.pdf

Can you tell us what is written on the other objectives and how many did it come with?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi and welcome
I see this one in eBay:-
Olympus Microscope Objective Lens 100x 1.25 Oil Plan C PlanC N UIS2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Micros ... SwcaFZG1m0

This is an infinity corrected UIS2 Olympus objective, and as far as I have checked in the web, your CX31 takes UIS2 objectives. These are excellent optics, but expensive. The listed objective is in my opinion a Plan achromat oil immersion. The N means that it can be used for interference.
This objective can be used either with or without cover slip.
The asked price is 255GBP, listed as "new other".
If true, it should be an excellent objective, although not cheap. The seller does not state that they ship to Africa - must be checked with them.
There are less expensive infinity Olympus objectives that are compatible, like the UIS (instead of UIS2) and they might suffice.
However: I have no idea what optics is required to detect malaria! but several other members know.

P.S. Here is another one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-PLAN-A ... 0005.m1851

Asking $349. The objective is marked "Philipinnes". If it is a true Olympus, I do not know if the country title is significant.

P.S. (2) Just seen that 75RR has given the link to the user manual. Page 18 indicates that UIS objectives are sufficient (the UIS2 are similar but more modern and "better corrected" so probably more expensive).

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:45 pm

And here is yet another source
https://www.latestcenter.top/olympus-mi ... 17917.html
Their price is $43 if I am not wrong. I would keep away from such sites - but cannot prove why...

Tom Jones

#5 Post by Tom Jones » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:28 am

Marty,

Let me check my spares. I *think* I have one I could make you a deal on. Hopefully I can check tomorrow.

Tom

Tom Jones

#6 Post by Tom Jones » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:50 am

Marty,

The new price they quoted isn't that bad, and might be your best bet if you have a decent relationship with the vendor.

I wouldn't go with an Amscope lens because you'll be mixing the Amscope objective optics with the Oly tube lens. Being physically interchangeable and optically interchangeable are two very different things. It might work nicely and it might not. I've never tried it so I can't say. But personally, for important work, I wouldn't mix manufacturers. I know from experience that diagnosing malaria, and all the other friendly things that show up in a peripheral smear is tough enough without bad optics.

I have a used Olympus Plan C, 100x 1.25 oil immersion objective lens. It was surplus from a clinical lab so it's well used. Some of the label paint has rubbed off, but the glass is in very nice shape. I just checked its performance using one of the P. vivax slides I have, and found no problems at all. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a clinical setting. $200 USD, plus shipping, which looks to be about $50 USD to you in Kenya by US Postal Service. You may have a better way to ensure you get it. I'm clueless as to how reliable shipping is to Kenya.

Tom

Merrygoat

#7 Post by Merrygoat » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:44 am

Thank you all for the replies. You’ve all been super helpful! Currently I have all my microbiologist friends in the US checking to see if they or the universitiws they work at have any extra UIS 2 olympus oil immersion 100x objectives they’d be willing to donate, and we are planning a trip to all the local hospitals to see if they have any extras or any attached to a broken microscope they’d be willing to part with. I’ll let y’all know what the end result is.