Zeiss Eyepieces confusion

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
rs6000

Zeiss Eyepieces confusion

#1 Post by rs6000 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:23 am

Hello I am new to microscopes and dont know anything on Eyepieces other then to stick with the 10x I know this sounds like a simple question but now dont think so.
Are they all the same , does the eye piece really make any difference if you have V-good objectives? can you use Nikon, olympus etc eypieces on zeiss etc
and also I am looking at purchasing a pair to complete my Zeiss 18 build and am confused by all the multiple types and sizes geeze TMI!!! most say 30mm and are all over the map in cryptic code designations I think they mean the barrel diameter but dont even know the size of the standard 14,18 binocular tube size.

Any help would be nice as I cant even find the specs for a 1970s ziess eyepieces?
:? :?

zzffnn

Re: Zeiss Eyepieces confusion

#2 Post by zzffnn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:27 am

Jeff,

Good to meet you here :-)

Please post photos of your specific eyepiece and show its markings, so members can help you.

I think for your Zeiss Standard 14 and 18, most commonly used eyepieces are Kpl 10x. Their eye tube diameter is roughly 23mm.

K means compensating: eyepieces correct optical distortions from the objectives and make them produce better image.

Pl means plan: field of view is relatively flat when those eyepieces are used.

Yes, eyepieces make a difference in image quality. Generally, for a beginner, it is a good idea not to mix different brands of eyepiece and objectives.

For example, my LOMO K10x eyepiece (is designed to compensate short LOMO apos and) will not produce the best image with (the DIN) Zeiss planapo 63/1.4, even though optical design of LOMO is not far from Zeiss. Olympus' optical design may not be as close to Zeiss as LOMO, but is said to be relatively closer than Nikon. That is very general statement though and may not always be the case for a specific objective.

Best,
Fan

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:55 am

The objective is the heart of the microscope. Everything else is basically there to help it do its job.
The eyepiece however is in a slightly different position, as it can be seen as an extension of the objective.
This is so because it not only magnifies the image produced by the objective but also incorporates the second stage of optical corrections; the first stage taking place in the objective.
This means that eyepieces from manufactures different to that of the objectives should not be used, as their use would degrade the final image.

As for Zeiss eyepieces:
"C-type eyepieces may be used in conjunction with simple types of objective.
Objectives of higher correction should, if possible, always be combined with Kpl eyepieces.
This applies above all to the Planachromats and Planapochromat." Zeiss Optical Systems

By simple they mean achromats (objectives without a designation are always achromats)
I would add Neofluars to the must use compensating i.e. Kpl eyepieces list.

Best then as zzffnn suggests ... go with 10x Kpl eyepieces as you will no doubt want to get some 'higher correction' objectives at some point.
Note: If you come across 12.5x Kpl eyepieces, they will do equally well.

Some links:

Zeiss Optical Systems brochure: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4323
The Clean Microscope: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1428
Zeiss Manuals & Catalogues: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=773
Book on Microscopy: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4731
Photomicrography - Mounting a Camera - Afocal - Projection - Parfocality: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=882

As you can see - there is plenty of information in the Resources (online, books etc.) section, do rummage around in it.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

wporter

#4 Post by wporter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:45 pm

To confuse the issue about Zeiss eyepieces even further, there are different 'field number' designations, which may or may not be marked on the eyepiece. See the posts in this thread on another microscope forum:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Mic ... ages/92135

rs6000

#5 Post by rs6000 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 pm

What about the Zeiss e-pl and pl I noticed it mentioned on several astronomy forums as the gold standard for whatever they use it for?

zzffnn

#6 Post by zzffnn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Non K (compensating) type eyepiece is good for low power achromats (<40x NA 0.65). It may be used with different brands of objectives, if you know how to visually evaluate its optical correction.

Pl means pl (flat field) correction.

rs6000

#7 Post by rs6000 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:51 pm

So I should avoid cpl and focus on KPL type if I am regularly using higher power apo, PH flour objectives etc
I think also the e-pl has the larger tube size of 30mm not compatible with the zeiss binoc tube

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:42 pm

So I should avoid cpl and focus on KPL type if I am regularly using higher power apo, PH flour objectives etc
Get Kpl if you are going to use any Zeiss objective other than achromats.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

rs6000

#9 Post by rs6000 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:27 pm

75RR wrote:
Get Kpl if you are going to use any Zeiss objective other than achromats.
thank you

GaryB

#10 Post by GaryB » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:42 pm

My Zeiss came with one CPL and one KPL. Both are 10x 18 wide and honestly I can't tell a difference in image quality between them.