What scope best fits these requirements?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
fibreoptix

What scope best fits these requirements?

#1 Post by fibreoptix » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:09 pm

My main interest in microscopy is pond water and filming it full frame using a canon 5d mark III. Best quality possible. In the future I want to film 60 fps at 1080p. But i know cameras.

Now that Im more familiar with microscopes Im still at a loss when it comes to modles and makers and lighting capabilities. All I can do is compare my current 1990s lapophot to scopes today.

Ignoring price slightly my needs are..

1. LED light source. Halogens are hot and will eventually become obsolete.

2. Plan or infinity objectives. As a photographer i know the best investment are lenses not camera bodies.

3. Trinocular head that allows me to veiw and film/photograph at the same time. No switching back and forth. Also has adapters avaliable for it. Right now im going nuts trying to find an eye peice adapter for my mark 3.

4. Stage that moves x and y obviously with smooth motion. Same goes with the focusing knobs. Corse and fine obviously

5. Dark feild capability. I know most scopes can be adapted to do this but if there is a scope that does it better than others i want it.

6. Turrets that offer at least 5 objective slots.

7. fluorescence and phase contrast. Still learning about this. But if it produces great images and video Im interested.

I think thats it. Not sure if this is doable. Not planning to buy yet. Going to try and make my labophot work first. Just would like to know what scope currently fits these needs.

Thanks.
Last edited by fibreoptix on Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzffnn

Re: What scope best fits these requirements?

#2 Post by zzffnn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:35 pm

Labophot can comply with all of your requirements. I had a Labophot 2 and upgraded to Optiphot I, to get swappable objective turret and adjustable stage height (which most Labophots do not have). Most parts between Labophots and Optiphots are exchangeable.

The only thing I am not sure about is using infinity objectives on Labophot. I think there is a Nikon head piece you can use for Optiphot to turn it into infinity scope, which should work for Labophot too. DIY is possible, if you can do lathe work or precision 3D printing.

For #3, I use a Nikon teaching (splitting prism) head for exactly that (filming or photography through eyepiece, though I have a m4/3 camera). I use that for teaching as well, when I remove camera. It is often cheaper that way too.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:50 pm

There you go: http://www.krebsmicro.com/microsetup2/index.html

Don't forget to have a look at the rest of his site: http://www.krebsmicro.com/
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

fibreoptix

#4 Post by fibreoptix » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:54 pm

zzffnn wrote:Most parts between Labophots and Optiphots are exchangeable.
I'm missing the PhotoTube for my Labophot. Could I substitute an Optiphot one? *see attached photo
zzffnn wrote:The only thing I am not sure about is using infinity objectives on Labophot.
I assume PLAN objectives would be okay though correct?
zzffnn wrote:Nikon teaching (splitting prism) head
Sounds pricey. But that sounds like a good thing to look out for.

Thanks.
Attachments
NikonTrinoc-F.jpg
NikonTrinoc-F.jpg (18.04 KiB) Viewed 6922 times

fibreoptix

#5 Post by fibreoptix » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:01 pm

75RR wrote:There you go: http://www.krebsmicro.com/microsetup2/index.html

Don't forget to have a look at the rest of his site: http://www.krebsmicro.com/
Wow. That is great. Is there any video work?

zzffnn

#6 Post by zzffnn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Please do some basic online research+reading on your Nikon Labophot and you will find most answers. Quickly, my answers are
Yes
Yes
No, teaching heads are cheaper , if you could compare at eBay. Simply because most people don't know how to use them for hobbyist filming.

fibreoptix

#7 Post by fibreoptix » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:35 pm

zzffnn wrote:Please do some basic online research+reading on your Nikon Labophot and you will find most answers. Quickly, my answers are
Yes
Yes
No, teaching heads are cheaper , if you could compare at eBay. Simply because most people don't know how to use them for hobbyist filming.
Yes just downloaded the manual. Plus I found out that there are some dealers near me that might be able to help on parts. Thanks a bunch.

Hobbyst46

#8 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:55 pm

fibreoptix wrote:1. LED light source. Halogens are hot and will eventually become obsolete.
For fluorescence you will need a second light source. Fluorescence is much more specific than other illumination/viewing modes. All the more so if you refer to natural fluorescence and not artificially introduced (by means of fluorescent stains). Fluorescence occurs at very few wavelengths (light colors). So a LED source is useful if you know ahead the excitation wavelength and can choose a LED source accordingly. Otherwise you ought to have a high pressure mercury or xenon lamp, neither of which is appropriate for normal bright/dark/oblique etc field. So, for fluorescence in addition to the other illumination modes, you need two separate light sources. I think that the Labophot allows this - the Optiphot does.
2. Plan or infinity objectives.
These are two separate and unrelated features. Plan is a flat field of view, infinity is the mode of interfacing the objective to the other optical parts of the microscope.
7. fluorescence...
In addition to the above about light source, one needs to know ahead the type of fluorescence he will observe in the speciment and choose the excitation filter, dichroic mirror and emmision filter accordingly.

Good luck.

fibreoptix

#9 Post by fibreoptix » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi Hobbyist

Yes plan and infinity are two different things. I guess I did not word the question properly. Just which one would be optimal for filming. I know that infinity would require a different scope. PLAN obj's are probably what I will go for eventually.

Interesting about the wave lengths when considering fluorescence. I'm still in the dark when it comes to the different lighting techniques. pun intended

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:16 pm

PLAN obj's are probably what I will go for eventually.
There are Plans (Planachromats) and then there are Planapos (Planapochromats), they should not be confused. Not that your wallet will let you ;)

PeteM

#11 Post by PeteM » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:09 pm

You might also look for an inverted microscope, ideally phase contrast, for your chosen subject.

These can be ideal for pond critters, typically have longer working distance lenses, and might prove more convenient to use. Every once in a while a very good one goes cheap.

fibreoptix

#12 Post by fibreoptix » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:48 pm

PeteM wrote:You might also look for an inverted microscope, ideally phase contrast, for your chosen subject.

These can be ideal for pond critters, typically have longer working distance lenses, and might prove more convenient to use. Every once in a while a very good one goes cheap.
After some initial research....you are right. Phase contrast inverted....dark feild....trinoc...cmount ... i think im on to a microscpoe goal now. However they are not cheap from what im seeing.

PeteM

#13 Post by PeteM » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:07 am

fibreoptix wrote:
PeteM wrote: . . . However they are not cheap from what im seeing.
If you have a target price, I and others can probably suggest some models to look for. Given that terrific Canon 5D camera you'll use with it, you might think of the microscope as a reasonably priced if slightly exotic "lens" to peer into the microworld? Around $500 and some patience might get you something very good. $1000 even better.

75RR

#14 Post by 75RR » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:52 am

You might also want to contact some of the authors of videos that reach the standard that you are after over on Photomacrography, youtube and vimeo etc ... to inquire as to what equipment they are using.

fibreoptix

#15 Post by fibreoptix » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:35 pm

PeteM wrote:
fibreoptix wrote:
PeteM wrote: . . . However they are not cheap from what im seeing.
If you have a target price, I and others can probably suggest some models to look for. Given that terrific Canon 5D camera you'll use with it, you might think of the microscope as a reasonably priced if slightly exotic "lens" to peer into the microworld? Around $500 and some patience might get you something very good. $1000 even better.
1000 I can live with. If you can shed light on a inverted scope with my requirements that would be great!

So far my list would be:

1. x,y mech stage obviously with nice smooth motion (focus nobs as well)
2. 4 slot Turret 10, 20, 40, 60
2. Objectives...I think I'll pass on infinity and go for PLAN type objectives
3. Trinoc head that can be viewed using the binocs and the photo tube at the same time. No switching.
4. Dark Field ...no DIY stuff. Trying to get my Labophot's condenser to do this right now is a pain.
5. Phase contrast is something I'm researching now.
6. LED lighting would be nice as opposed to bulbs. But not a deal breaker.
7. The 5D MkIII is a great camera and Magic Lantern now allows it to capture 60fps at 1920x800 resolution and 4K. So Canon 5D MKIII adapter availability is a must.

This is my goal scope right now. However I'm trying to get my Labophot to work as mentioned above minus point 3.

If I ever do treat my self to a different scope however I think I might go for a new one. Brand New that meets all the requirements. Searching for parts on obsolete equipment is tiresome. Are those OMAX scopes any good?

PeteM

#16 Post by PeteM » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:28 pm

The Nikon Labophot is a good microscope; near great if you equip it with their best "CF" (Chrome Free) Plan Achro or Fluor objectives. Finding or making the missing trinocular spacer tube -- or even just buying a better Nikon trinocular head that allows viewing and photos at the same time -- shouldn't be difficult.

Given that you have the Nikon, you might also look for a Nikon inverted microscope of that era -- with LWD (long working distance) objectives. They might sometimes be useful on the Labophot as well. The other scopes to consider might be Olympus IM, IM2, and CK2 -- as well as many more.

I think you'll have difficulty finding a 60x non-oil objective that's also long working distance. However, a 40x fluorite lens, maybe with a correction collar, coupled to proper eyepieces is another possibility.

I'd look for a phase contrast setup, either for your Labophot or an inverted scope. Most with a Zernicke type phase condenser will also have a darkfield stop good to 40x or so built in.

Your best deal on a used pro-level microscope won't have LED lighting -- and they'll work fine without it. However, you can always retrofit LED later. Easy and expensive if you just buy a unit. A bit harder and almost cheap if you do it yourself.

fibreoptix

#17 Post by fibreoptix » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks Pete. Yes i think i found a nice condenser. Phase contrast, DIC and DF. Im learning about phase contrast.. but DIC? Doesnt that give off an embossed look? Not sure how that works. I found one on ebay...1200 bucks though. Ouch.

PeteM

#18 Post by PeteM » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:26 pm

If you search for Differential Contrast Microscopy (and Nomarski) you'll find explanations. It's pretty much top of the food chain for optical microscopy. And, yes, it gives a false 3D effect that can make images "pop."

Be aware that for transmitted DIC you need prisms (and polarizers) in BOTH the condenser area and above the objectives. So, that $1200 condenser only gets you about half the way there toward DIC. Add phase contrast objectives that match the annuli in that condenser, and you would have phase contrast..

fibreoptix

#19 Post by fibreoptix » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Yikes. The more i look into all this the more stand offish i get. I think Ill just enjoy my scope as is.

PeteM

#20 Post by PeteM » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 pm

It's a fine microscope. Enjoy it.