Recommendation to buy a stereo microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Tarloth

Recommendation to buy a stereo microscope

#1 Post by Tarloth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:30 am

Hi everybody:

I need a stereo microscope for the following tasks:

* Assembly and solder electronic boards with very small components
* Cut very small vegetal tissue for micropropagation
* See small aquatic critters (foer be honest, see any small living thing)
* If I could adapt any camera to microscope, micro photography.

I'm searching in local ebay like pages to buy a stereomicroscope for this tasks and found several options. I see better offers in ebay (I normally buy a lot of things in ebay) but import used microscopy equipment would be prohibited in theory.

I ask for the courtesy and knowledge of the members to recommend to me one of these microscopes:

At same range of prices (100-250 dollars)

* Nikon SMZ-2 apparently in good shape

* Nikon 7x-45x SMZ 45-b1(according to the seller) I think that it's a SMZ-2 too. The seller claims that the "objetives" of the binocular are scratched but I think that he referred to oculars because he said that "can be changed".

* Bausch & Lomb StereoZomm (4????)(serial number 312688-175) the seller claim model BL250

(in decreasing cost)

In all cases more images if it's needed.
All the other options are chinese copies with variety of prices but curiosity more expensive that these

One exception that will be cost 6x of any this options it's a japanese Meiji EMT new unit. I probably can afford this unit but with a big effort.

What do you think of these options? Thank you all and excuse my bad english
Last edited by Tarloth on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

apochronaut

Re: Recommendation to buy a stereo microscope

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:10 pm

To see small aquatic critters, depending on how small you want them to be, you will need more than an average stereo microscope. Higher end modern stereo microscopes can in fact be used as lower power transmitted light microscopes( up to about 200x) but to get good enough quality at that magnification one would have to spend a lot of money. Don't believe promotional material about Chinese stereo microscopes that promise 150x magnification or the like. Yes, they can magnify that much but you won't be able to see anything......kind of like walking right up to within 10cm. of a movie screen to get a better view.

It seems that to accomplish all of your goals, you will need an average grade stereo microscope as well as a modest transmitted light biological microscope.

Regarding a camera attachment. The older a microscope is, the harder it is to find a camera attachment. However, you can adapt a camera to use through an eyepiece on most microscopes.

Tarloth

#3 Post by Tarloth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:31 pm

apochronaut wrote:To see small aquatic critters, depending on how small you want them to be, you will need more than an average stereo microscope. Higher end modern stereo microscopes can in fact be used as lower power transmitted light microscopes( up to about 200x) but to get good enough quality at that magnification one would have to spend a lot of money. ...
Apochronaut, thanks for your answer! I forgot to say that last year I buy to my ten years old son an AmScope compound microscope. I was surprised by the quality/price ratio but really a very regular to bad microscope. I used in university Nikon, Leica and Olympus and the quality has nothing to compare Even that these microscopes that I used are now almost 30 years old!

Knowing that big brands are big for a reason, I prefer buy a good old one and not a new crappy, because of that I ask for you which microscope would you buy of these options. if it is taken into consideration that the B&L cost $100 and the SMZ-2 $250 I can buy one of it, use for a while until the economic situation got better and then donate to any school and buy a newer one.

I can make an adapter to take photographs but this is a matter of other post and if this forum help to do that :-)

Perhaps with a lot of effort can buy now the last option, that it's new and made in Japan, but never use any Meiji scope and ask you for recommendation.

Going back to small aquatic critters are not the celular size ones that interest me. This I can view through the regular AmScope, I'm interested in more detail on big size critters. I add some Photographs of some specimens taken with an inverted Nikon lens to show some examples.

Thanks again!

(I have all photographs in bigger size if somebody like it)

Stentor Sp, each cone aprox 0.5mm- 1mm the biggers ones

Bujurquina vittata: alevin in a small aquarium that I made years ago with two microscope coverslip

Palaemonetes argentinus: a really "big" critter 2cm long, but I need to see for example if the female has embrios and the scope is for this task.

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:22 pm

Great images.
(I have all photographs in bigger size if somebody like it)
Thanks for the offer. I would like to see a larger version of the first two images.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Tarloth

#5 Post by Tarloth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:00 pm

My pleassure, at this time I had a Nikon D70s, 6MP, but the first photograph was framed. I add the full framed and other complete photograph similar to first picture. I have a lot more photographs of stentors if you need it and a lot of photographs of other small aquatic critter.

New photo
First
Second

Tarloth

#6 Post by Tarloth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Edit, my second option, the Nikon with the scratched Oculars it's a 7x-45x SZM45-b1 but I believe that this code not exists
Last edited by Tarloth on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks. Never seen so many stentors at one time - wonder what the collective noun is? a profusion of stentors? a bouquet of stentors? :)

Tarloth

#8 Post by Tarloth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Yes! When I found it and send the photographs to university for identification the doctor specialized in protist said the same :-)

I add two more photographs of the beginnings of the """colony"""

In the glass
At the bottom

apochronaut

#9 Post by apochronaut » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:07 pm

great pictures. so it is the larger critters you are interested in.

in addition to many the main factors affecting stereo microscope performance there is the field of view factor. stereo microscopes can vary. is that much of a consideration?

Tarloth

#10 Post by Tarloth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Thanks Apochronaut, no FoV it's no much concern in sense that it's related to magnification and working distance. When I work soldering electronic circuits or cutting explants for in-vitro culture, working distance it's the most important (quality of optics it's the first off course) parameter but I work at 4x-8x max, then the FoV it's usually relatively big. For see small critters it's not important the working distance but yes the magnification and then the FoV.

Of the three used options that I put in the first post, I see that Nikon SMZ-2 has a good working distance and if I buy a Barlow 0.5 got better. The Other Nikon I not know which model is, the seller can't say that or not like to say that, but I think that esentially all basic Nikons had a good WD at low magnification. Bausch & Lomb I not know exact model, seems like a SZ4, but I remember that this very old microscope have a relative long working distance. The new Meiji apparently from the data it's a EMT-3 that hasn't a good WD but it's new (and lot expensive!)

I do not know which stereo microscope buy, any recommendation?

billbillt

#11 Post by billbillt » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:35 pm

HELLO,
I found all of your pics to be very, very good.... The B&L stand may be a good bet... Check out Amscope... Amscope furnishes good performance for usually a lower price...

The Best,
BillT

Tarloth

#12 Post by Tarloth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:25 pm

Thanks Billbit! Amscope it's more expensive than these options, of course Amscope options are all new. I buy an Amscope last year, a compound binocular microscope, it's better than I expect of the price, but far,far,far away of a Leica or Nikon similar compound microscope.

I ask all of you perhaps it's better to buy an used big brand tnan a new Amscope, but if you recommends a specific model that works greate I can ask for price here

EDIT: An Amscope (clone?) equivalent, they are all chinese but someone would be better than others, with a working distance of 4" (100mm) cost 3 times more than used B&L and 2.5 times the Nikons. Of course, the chinese one it's new and others have a lot of time of use

apochronaut

#13 Post by apochronaut » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:34 pm

Tarloth wrote:Thanks Apochronaut, no FoV it's no much concern in sense that it's related to magnification and working distance. When I work soldering electronic circuits or cutting explants for in-vitro culture, working distance it's the most important (quality of optics it's the first off course) parameter but I work at 4x-8x max, then the FoV it's usually relatively big. For see small critters it's not important the working distance but yes the magnification and then the FoV.

I do not know which stereo microscope buy, any recommendation?
You are correct in that actual f.o.v. is related to the magnification but some microscopes have/had an option to use better eyepiece designs that have a wider apparent f.o.v. The Bausch & Lomb you are looking at was in a family of microscopes that included higher end research and comparison models and the eyepiece corrections are common across the model range. Some of the eyepieces used for these scopes were originally worth more then the microscope itself and occasionally show up on the used market at attractive prices.
They work well on the entire range of B & L stereos and yield stunning fields.o.v. Working distance is relatively unaffected. They just give you a better well corrected field to look at.

PeteM

#14 Post by PeteM » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Either the Nikon models you've shown or the B&L Stereo Zoom are good microscopes. Condition might be the deciding factor. Many people think they want a large zoom range, but in my experience even a 2x or 3x range is all most people need.

1) Are the optics clear?

2) Are the images aligned? Look at an "X" on the table. Does the image jump when you look with one eye, then the next?

3) Do the zooms work smoothly throughout their range; with the image staying in focus through the range (you need to focus at high magnification, then tweak the individual eyepieces at low magnification - after that the image should stay pretty much in focus as you turn the zoom ring (Nikon) or dial (B&L).

You're right to avoid the low to mid cost Chinese stereo microscopes. Most are not as well built and don't have as long and useful a working distance. You'll especially want the working distance for soldering. And, if you solder I'd suggest buying a clear lens protector for the bottom lens. My recollection is that the Nikons take a 44mm thread -- you can probably find a cheap clear (UV) Chinese camera filter for a few bucks. The B&L is around 38mm (but inch sized). You might have to buy one of their clear protectors on the used market.

bobm4360

#15 Post by bobm4360 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:17 am

The B&L and the Nikon SMZ-2 are both good, but if you are doing a lot of microelectronics and other work on the stage, the rests on the
Nikon may be more comfortable, plus the ability to illuminate from below is a plus.

Tarloth

#16 Post by Tarloth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:23 am

apochronaut wrote:
You are correct in that actual f.o.v. is related to the magnification but some microscopes have/had an option to use better eyepiece designs that have a wider apparent f.o.v. The Bausch & Lomb you are looking at was in a family of microscopes that included higher end research and comparison models and the eyepiece corrections are common across the model range. Some of the eyepieces used for these scopes were originally worth more then the microscope itself and occasionally show up on the used market at attractive prices.
They work well on the entire range of B & L stereos and yield stunning fields.o.v. Working distance is relatively unaffected. They just give you a better well corrected field to look at.
THANKS Apochronaut, I ask the seller for more information of the ocular because in the photographs I can't see the exit pupil, but it's tempting to buy only to try :-).
PeteM wrote:Either the Nikon models you've shown or the B&L Stereo Zoom are good microscopes. Condition might be the deciding factor.

I agree, I'm hesitating because the B&L seems in better condition than nikons but I think that it's older. I found a guide to calibrate B&L but not for calibrate Nikons, I need to finish my exploration of the books section.
PeteM wrote:Many people think they want a large zoom range, but in my experience even a 2x or 3x range is all most people need.

I agree too, but you refer to an 2X at objectivesplus x10 at ocular isn't it? i.e. final 20X? A final 3X would be good for solder some electronics but not for other stuff, like microelectronics or count eggs in a daphnia magna :-)
PeteM wrote: 1) Are the optics clear?
2) Are the images aligned? Look at an "X" on the table. Does the image jump when you look with one eye, then the next?
3) Do the zooms work smoothly throughout their range; with the image staying in focus through the range (you need to focus at high magnification, then tweak the individual eyepieces at low magnification - after that the image should stay pretty much in focus as you turn the zoom ring (Nikon) or dial (B&L).

Lamentably I can't test personally until arrives to my home, but B&L can be paid in six pays of 15 dollars. Maybe I buy it and buy one of nikons too, sounds to much obsessive?
PeteM wrote:You're right to avoid the low to mid cost Chinese stereo microscopes. Most are not as well built and don't have as long and useful a working distance. You'll especially want the working distance for soldering. And, if you solder I'd suggest buying a clear lens protector for the bottom lens. My recollection is that the Nikons take a 44mm thread -- you can probably find a cheap clear (UV) Chinese camera filter for a few bucks. The B&L is around 38mm (but inch sized). You might have to buy one of their clear protectors on the used market.
Yes, off course, I need to protect from sporadic solder resin splashes!. A very good advice!
bobm4360 wrote: The B&L and the Nikon SMZ-2 are both good, but if you are doing a lot of microelectronics and other work on the stage, the rests on the
Nikon may be more comfortable, plus the ability to illuminate from below is a plus.
Thanks, it's sensate to me, I thinking in buy both of them perhaps because the nikon that it's in better shape (I really not know the exact model) it's announced with the ocular scratched and the B&L it's cheap. Meanwhile I buy some new oculars to Nikon I can use the B&L

Somebody knows if the B&L eyepieces are interchanged with STM-2? i.e. they are the same diameter? almost 24 or 30?

THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR ANSWERS

75RR

#17 Post by 75RR » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:04 am

Yes, off course, I need to protect from sporadic solder resin splashes!.
and fumes!
I found a guide to calibrate B&L but not for calibrate Nikons ...
I think the procedure is similar for all zoom stereoscopes

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10239 ... tml#manual

Operating Procedure (to calibrate) is on page 2 see image:
Attachments
Nikon smz-2.png
Nikon smz-2.png (109.14 KiB) Viewed 10372 times

MicroBob

#18 Post by MicroBob » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:40 am

My experience is that there are much more worn down stereo microscopes than compound microscopes on the used market, so beware!
Used stereo microscopes may have had a tiresome life in electronics repair or in a dusty workshop. A compond microscope in meant to be dismantled in its modular components so many surfaces are easy to reach for cleaning. Most stereo microscopes are one entire unit and you have to find access for cleaning. I also had much more problems with misaligned binocular tubes with stereo microscopes.
So I would advise to buy when you can check in advance or have a dependable way to return the microscope if it is worn down.
Hazy optics can be checked with high contrast objects with bright reflections in them, like a coin lighted with a flashlight.

The objects you show seem to be quite large. So I would suggest to choose a stereo microscope with a low minimum magnification like 7x.
For little animals and algae in plancton a 200x magnification is especially useful. For this the objective has to have a numerical aperture of at least 0,2. There are stereo microscopes today that have even higher n.a.s but they are astonishingly expensive. So for the amateur the best is a combination of a modest stereo microscope and a modest compound microscope.

Bob

Tarloth

#19 Post by Tarloth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Yes Bob, I agree totally! I have a modest (-chinese Amscope) compound microscope for the celular level things. For electronics soldering and in-vitro explants cutting I only need low to moderate amplification. I think that 20x it's the top that I would be use. The only case that I think that would use more amplification it's for inspeccion of soldered circuits, but I'm not sure of this if the optics are good.

Dirt or damaged internal optics are my principal concern. I can buy a pair of eyepieces but I not know any technician to repair internal damages and perhaps I not get with the replacement parts. It's a bet I think.

Few hours ago I did buy the B&L and now I'm choosing between the two nikons. I need a microscope for electronics but for the laminar flow too, I think that I would can change from one place to other but buying two I use the bes for each work in each desk.

THANKS for all answers I continue to asking you for ever ! :evil:

Tarloth

#20 Post by Tarloth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:08 pm

75RR wrote:....I think the procedure is similar for all zoom stereoscopes
THANKS!!!!

(MIL GRACIAS!!!!)

Tarloth

#21 Post by Tarloth » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi everyone, finally I did buy the B&L and the Nikon SMZ-2. Thanks all for your answers, when they arrives surely I do a lot of other questions in the forum, THANKS AGAIN.

75RR

#22 Post by 75RR » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:26 am

Congratulations. When they arrive 'clean them up' and post some photos of them in the My microscope section.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1428

Tarloth

#23 Post by Tarloth » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:26 am

Of course! I post as soon as they arrives!