Tools

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Topinamburr

Tools

#1 Post by Topinamburr » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:32 am

Hello everyone :)

While my very first microscope is on its way to me, I've wanted to stock up on accessories and tools. I'm wondering what tools would you recommend? Slide with cover glass is an obvious choice, is there any difference with frosted or non frosted for pond life? What kind of pipette do you recommend? Plastic or capillary? Any favourite tools or non conventional that you use a lot?

Thank you!

75RR

Re: Tools

#2 Post by 75RR » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Slides and cover slips should quite rightly be first on your list lest you have no means of observing anything when your microscope arrives.

When the time comes to clean the lenses then this booklet has some suggestions as to what you may need.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1428&hilit

Among the most useful things mentioned are a blower, Chinese bamboo sticks, cotton wool and isopropanol.

Tweezers are always useful, get two so you can not only pick things up but also manipulate them.

Get a notebook to record what you see (particularly useful if you are taking photographs)
... is there any difference with frosted or non frosted for pond life?
The frosted area on slides are for writing on, I have not found the need to do so.

Note that most microscopists reuse slides and some reuse cover slips* as well. Do not buy too many at first. You can always get more when you need to.

* The quality of cover slips varies with price.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Pond life is not very concentrated so it is necessary to have some means of concentrating it.
This could be a plancton net or a sieve of 50 to 90µ mesh size. On ebay you can order stainless steel mesh of this mesh size.
To keep the water at a stable temperature something like a thermos bottle is useful.

Bob

coominya

#4 Post by coominya » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:14 pm

MicroBob wrote: or a sieve of 50 to 90µ mesh size. On ebay you can order stainless steel mesh of this mesh size.
Do you have a link? I can't find it.

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

KurtM

#6 Post by KurtM » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:10 am

Forceps, dissecting needles, and scalpels are my most often-used bench tools.

Forceps, also known as tweezers, are indispensable, and I keep several in different sizes from very delicate to quite large. Take time to "tune up" the tips with sandpaper or small files so they meet properly and grip anything no matter how small every time. Stereo microscopes are great for this, but an eyepiece looked through backwards makes a fine "jeweler's loupe".

Needles are easy to make. Cut 100 mm lengths of 6 mm wooden dowel for handles, drill a hole in one end, insert a sewing needle, set with epoxy. Make at least two while you're at it.

Scalpels can be anything from a hobby knife such as Xacto, to disposable scalpels or scalpel handles and blades. Any of these options should be pretty affordable.

75RR's suggestion of a photographer's bulb blower is also one I use practically every time I settle in for a little microscopy. A photographer's camel hair brush is a dandy complement to it.

A small pair of scissors is also handy.

Oh, and pipettes. Simple eyedroppers work exceedingly well, and are easy to clean. After that, it's probably a matter of personal preference. I have tons of pipettes of every variety in my search for the perfect pipette. But I have to say the humble eyedropper that I started out with is awful hard to beat.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

MicroBob

#7 Post by MicroBob » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:30 am

Link to 50µ mesh: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Edelstahlsieb-E ... 0505.m3226

It is extremely easy to make such a sieve. You just weld the mesh with something hot to a piece of plastic tube. A hot tea spoon would suffice, a soldering iron of cause too. Then cut along the circumference with tin snips.

Topinamburr

#8 Post by Topinamburr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Thank you everyone for so much information! I'm so happy this forum exists :) hopefully i can share something soon enough.