I am confused by the magnification information of some microscope manufacturers

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Lardos

I am confused by the magnification information of some microscope manufacturers

#1 Post by Lardos » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Hallo everybody,

I am pretty new to the world of microscopy and I have some questions regarding the magnification factors that some manufacturers put on their products. I am especially interested in long distance microscopes with a high depth of field.

For example I found one model that has a magnification of 0.48

As far as I know magnification is defined by the image size divided by the size of the real object. But that would mean that this "micro"scope in perticular would shrink the image down?
This doesnt make any sense to me.

If you are interested in the microscope I was talking about, here is a link to the pdf. On page 8 is a table with all the information.
http://www.infinity-usa.com/downloads/O ... triMax.pdf

I assume you have to use this microscope with some sort of camera sensor which is indeed what I want to do.

To give you some background information: I am looking for a long distance microscope that can resolve particles with a diameter of around 1mm in a distance of around 50mm. The depth of field should be somewhere around 0.1-1 mm

Since I am very new to the whole subject please bear with me :D

Thanks in advance!
Greetings from germany!

75RR

Re: I am confused by the magnification information of some microscope manufacturers

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:09 pm

Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Lardos

Re: I am confused by the magnification information of some microscope manufacturers

#3 Post by Lardos » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:48 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and the sources you gave me!

I have looked into the links you gave me and read through several of the posts that are referenced there. This is defenetly some helpful information that I can work with.

However everybody seems to be using 10x, 20x etc. magnification.

My question is more about the <1x magnification microscopes since those are numbers that doesnt make sense to me
when talking about microscopes.

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:05 pm

Lardos wrote:My question is more about the <1x magnification microscopes since those are numbers that doesnt make sense to me
when talking about microscopes.
The 'native' magnification of the unit appears to be 0.48x but there is provision to fit microscope objectives onto the front of it. ... See pages 11, 12, 13 of the pdf [and more]

I think you will need to read the document very carefully before deciding whether this is suitable for your purpose.

MichaelG.
Last edited by MichaelG. on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:19 pm

It is not uncommon for a standard stereo, toolmaker's or other long distance work microscope to employ reduction lenses in order to lower the magnification. The system usually, in addition to a fractional power objective ,employs a further magnifier( eyepiece, camera) and even though the objective might magnify only .5X, the final magnification is the product of the objective magnification x the viewer magnification. In the case of a .5X objective coupled to a 10x eyepiece, this yields 5X magnification. Any decent stereo mic. should be able to accomplish this, with a reduction aux. lens.

Regarding the possibility of a 50mm w.d. with the possibility of resolving 1mm, this is well within the capacity of any decent stereo microscope. In fact it is well within the capacity of a magnifying glass. Why do you need a microscope?

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:28 pm

Reduction lenses are sometimes needed to reduce the size of the microscope image to better match the sensor size of the camera.

The pdf would seem to indicate that the Model K1 CentriMax can accommodate several options.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)