Olympus EHT - small blue-grey filter in turret?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Beekeeper

Olympus EHT - small blue-grey filter in turret?

#1 Post by Beekeeper » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:26 pm

I've just aquired (for a jar of honey!) an Olympus EHT of 1973 vintage (has original inspection cert). It is generally in pretty good shape and clean with the exception of a small blue-grey filter that may be made of some sort of mica-like material sandwiched between two pieces of plain glass and sits in the bottom of the turret asembly. This looks to have some fungal growth on that will not simply wipe off. My question is what is the purpose of the filter and any ideas if it can be replaced?

Thanks!

Beekeeper

MicroBob

Re: Olympus EHT - small blue-grey filter in turret?

#2 Post by MicroBob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:15 pm

This will be a polarizer. When you put one polarizer onto the light outlet in the base and one under the binocular tube you block all light if you align them right. Then bifringent objects (that turn the polarisation plane) will become visible. (Sugar crystals in honey?)
If you don't use polarisation you would use a blue filter on the light outlet to keep IR light off your eyes and get a more neutral light.

Bob

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Welcome Beekeeper,
I've just aquired (for a jar of honey!) an Olympus EHT
That is a pretty good deal!
Do post a photo of it in the My microscope section
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:55 pm

A mix of ammonia and hydrogen peroxide will often remove fungus. Any etching will remain, but it might help clear the view through your polarizer. As others have said, you'll need one over the field (bottom) lens as well.

There are other options to replace the filter as well.

Beekeeper

#5 Post by Beekeeper » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks folks, that's very helpful and yes, indeed, fructose and glucose crystals in honey samples are on the list to be photographed - though it's mainly pollen and various bits of bees at the moment. Its good to know that I can remove the duff filter for normal use. I have the original blue filter that slots into a holder just below the condenser. Unfortunately the only bits missing from the original kit are the four photo eyepieces :cry: but I can't complain at the price.

And RR75, I'll pull together a My Microscope post too.

Thanks again, Beekeeper.

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:33 am

Some 3D-cinema glasses are polarizers with a retarder and work quite well for non critical polarizing applications when you get the orientation right.
The eyepieces should fit to the objectives so it would be ideal to buy Olympus ones of the finity era.

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:16 pm

MicroBob wrote:The eyepieces should fit to the objectives so it would be ideal to buy Olympus ones of the finity era.
If the objectives on this microscope are the short barrel (the original focal length for these scopes), the appropriate photo eyepiece is the FK type, for example FK2.5.