Would this microscope on ebay be good for a beginner?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Sinar

Would this microscope on ebay be good for a beginner?

#1 Post by Sinar » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:41 am

First of all I apologise in advance as I know this question has been asked many times in various forms in this forum, but I would like to know what might be my best option at this moment in time as availability of older microscopes varies.

I’m looking to buy a relatively inexpensive first microscope, just for general hobbyist use, I want to look at pond organisms, plant cells and general microscopic things that I encounter. I live in the UK and have a budget of around 300 pounds, I want a binocular or Trinocular microscope, realistically probably a binocular given my budget restraints.

Buying a new Chinese microscope is an option, I can get an Apex Researcher binocular for £220 delivered which seems good value.

https://www.apexmicroscopes.co.uk/apexresearcher.html

I’m also open to buying a second hand one. I’m watching one on eBay which seems like it might be suitable, but I’m not sure, I’d love to here opinions on this, or suggestions on other second hand options.

The one on ebay is described as follows:

“You are bidding on a superb Leitz Laborlux 11 binocular research microscope , which is equipped with Periplan 10x wide field oculars, suitable for spectacle wearers, Leitz objectives EF4x/0.12, EF10x/0.25, EF40x/0.65 and 100x/1.25 oil, mechanical stage with drop down co axial controls, A 0.90 Leitz condenser with iris diaphragm, 6v variable illumination system, all in excellent condition, recently serviced, this is a rare chance to acquire a classic top quality German research microscope,circa 1980s.”

If it’s of any relevance, i do wear glasses.

I see Brunel Microscopes have a range of second hand ones, (though most are nearer £400, which i might be able to run to for the right microscope), are any of those recommended?.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post, any thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated. 

Hobbyst46

Re: Would this microscope on ebay be good for a beginner?

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:47 am

Does your budget include a camera? or do you own a camera that you would like to use on the microscope?
BTW I see in the link that they offer a trinocular model, with an improved head (the eyepieces carrier unit) for just under 300 BP. In principle, if those scopes are basically good (which I cannot tell, never used a Chinese scope) it would be a better buy than the binocular. Much more convenient to use with a camera.

And, I would inquire about the expandability of the Apex. Can you add darkfield, phase contrast, DIC? a microscope with brightfield only is seriously limited in the scope of specimens you can see and enjoy.

MicroBob's recommendation about a local club, given in your Introduction post, is excellent IMO.

Sinar

#3 Post by Sinar » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:21 am

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Photography has been a life long hobby for me so i'm not short of cameras!. I have quite a few mirrorless bodies, mostly Micro Four thirds and also a Sony A7 full frame mirrorless, and a Sony RX100 compact.

I did think if i went for a Chinese one i should get the cheapest as i'd might need to upgrade at some point, but the trinocular would be handy and is within budget.

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi Sinar and welcome!
I'm in the U.K. (Cumbria) and am going to sell my Leitz SM-LUX to make room in my tiny lab - as others here know I use the mighty Leitz Orthoplan as my main 'scope.

It is complete and essentially has a trinocular head for attachment of a camera, and 'high eyepoint' eyepieces which enable use whilst wearing glasses (as do I)....

I've also just listed an immaculate binocular stereo-zoom 'scope on e-bay for sale - I've just bought another one with a trinocular head and again need more space....

John B.

I'll post some images in the selling section ASAP.

p.s. I sent you a pm but you may not be able to respond via pm as you're new here.
Last edited by mrsonchus on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:45 pm

It is hard to overemphasize the convenience of a trinocular head if you plan to take photographs of what you see through the eyepieces.

Long term, a used microscope from one of the main manufactures is the way to go but before taking that step you do need some microscope experience.

I would go with a Chinese clone for now. Do note that apex is probably no better than AmScope (neither of these companies manufacture their own microscopes, they only badge Chinese clones)

I would however suggest that you buy it from Amazon, their return policy is most useful, should there be any problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmScope-T400A- ... microscope

Be aware however that you will not get back much money when you outgrow it and decide to upgrade.

On the other hand, the skills you will learn on it are definitely worth something and most people have a nephew or niece who would appreciate it as a gift.

Note: Just seen John B.'s post (Concurrent posting)

A used microscope from one of the major manufactures from a reliable source clearly trumps the Chinese clone, particularly if it has a trinocular head.

As opposed to the Chinese clones you should be able to get all/most of your money back when you sell a used microscope from one of the major manufactures.

As a new member you will not be able to send private messages (pm) but you can receive them.

If John B. has omitted his email just post your answer here.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Sinar

#6 Post by Sinar » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:21 pm

I think I will be getting a Trinocular then as photography is going to be quite important for me.

I don’t think the trinocular apex is in stock, the Amscope T490B seems to be the cheapest I can find that ships from the UK at £305, it’s fulfilled by Amazon but sold by Amscope.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmScope-T490B- ... microscope

I’m also interested in John B’s second hand one.

Aslan

#7 Post by Aslan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:58 pm

Sinar wrote:I think I will be getting a Trinocular then as photography is going to be quite important for me.

I don’t think the trinocular apex is in stock, the Amscope T490B seems to be the cheapest I can find that ships from the UK at £305, it’s fulfilled by Amazon but sold by Amscope.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmScope-T490B- ... microscope

I’m also interested in John B’s second hand one.
The SM Lux is an excellent choice. You really can't go wrong with Leitz microscopes (unless they have been horribly abused). I echo the sentiment that a trinocular head is the way to go. I love microphotography and the trinocular is a must for that. I use a Canon 20D for microphotography with a battery case and the flex on a monocular or binocular head would be too much.

You can find excellent deals on ebay if you pay attention. I just picked up a Laborlux SM microscope on ebay for $116 US. It is the same vintage as my main scope and I will be using it as a backup or a donor scope if I need to repair my main scope. My SM was twenty years old when I bought it in 1987 and It is still going strong.
Spenser 58 convertible microscope