Condenser Mounting

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
nanoj

Condenser Mounting

#1 Post by nanoj » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:02 am

This is probably a silly question but I better ask anyway before I break something.
I have a Kyowa ME-LUX 2L and can't seem to get the condenser into position. I think it is supposed to go in further, so that its top will just reach the underside of the slide.
How far condenser will go.
How far condenser will go.
m4.jpg (73.64 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
It seems that the the spring steel inside the collar is too far out and prevents the condenser from being pushed up.
Spring in collar.
Spring in collar.
m5.jpg (72.59 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
There is a bit of a lip on the condenser that it catches on.
Lip between black and metal parts of condenser.
Lip between black and metal parts of condenser.
m3.jpg (62.34 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
Also, I do not know if the retaining screw, which I have removed, is supposed to push against the spring, or against the condenser itself (in which case somethings is misaligned).

apochronaut

Re: Condenser Mounting

#2 Post by apochronaut » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:10 am

The "lip" that you mention, in most cases, should have enough spring in it to return back to a parallel state with the rest of the interior of the condenser sleeve. Perhaps there is a lock screw or set screw behind it, stopping it. If you can get that "lip" or grip spring to back away a bit, your condenser will slide all the way into the sleeve.

I see a small hex head grub screw in one of the pictures. Is that behind that " lip", needing to be backed off?

nanoj

#3 Post by nanoj » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:03 am

Sorry, by "lip" I meant the discontinuity where the condenser changes diameters slightly at the boundary between the black and the silver.
There was in fact a thumb set screw that would stop the retaining spring, but I set it back and then also completely removed it.
I can push the spring back with my finger so that it is flush with the inside of the sleeve.
When I try to insert the condenser I think the discontinuity at the black silver boundary is catching on the side of the spring and pushing it up rather than in.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:03 am

Sounds like the spring portion has deformed -- and needs to be pushed back so it permanently sits flush. Then you should be able to insert your condenser and use the set screw to secure it.

bobm4360

#5 Post by bobm4360 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:59 am

Often, a jeweler's screwdriver or a straightened paperclip can be used to push the spring finger flush to install the condenser.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:03 am

Agree. You need to push the spring (see arrow) back far enough so that when you release it, it is level with the sides of the condenser holder.
Apply slow firm pressure. Don't do it in one go, a series of pushes is less likely to strain the spring.
Attachments
spring.jpg
spring.jpg (150.71 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:09 am

Another method might be to loop some dental floss around the spring via the grub screw hole and pull it far back enough to get the condenser to slide in.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:38 am

PeteM wrote:Sounds like the spring portion has deformed -- and needs to be pushed back so it permanently sits flush.
Agreed ... Usually caused by someone playing with the retention screw whilst the condenser was not in position.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

nanoj

#9 Post by nanoj » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks all,

I first clamped it flush overnight but that did not have a discernible effect. I then pushed gently a few times with the corner of a battery, as I figured the battery was too big to be able to push it too far.
It worked!

MichaelG.

#10 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:20 pm

nanoj wrote:... I then pushed gently a few times with the corner of a battery, as I figured the battery was too big to be able to push it too far.
It worked!
Good thinking !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'