Noise on video

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Topinamburr

Noise on video

#1 Post by Topinamburr » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm just starting to learn and wanted to ask what's could be the issue with really high noise/grain even with low iso (200/400)? I'm filming with Nikon 3300, mounted on trinocular Motic BA210, simple darkfield slider, and while the image I see in binoculars is super crisp and high contrast - the results in video are very poor. I'm filming with 4x and 10x objectives. Condenser is on it's highest position to the slide. No noise canceling is set on the camera.

75RR

Re: Noise on video

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Have you tried using it off the microscope?
Might be an idea to place it on a tripod and capture some video sequences in different lighting conditions for comparison purposes.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:32 pm

My first guess would be that you simply need more light.
... The eye is surprisingly adaptable: The camera, much less so.
... For 'stills' photography, we can use long exposures, but obviously not so for video.

As per 77RR's sugestion: test the camera under various lighting conditions, to determine what light level it needs to give the results that you want. ... Then start a discussion about how to get that much light into the system.

Do you have the 30W tungsten halogen, or the 3W LED lamp ?
https://www.motic.com/As_LifeSciences_UM_BA210/

MichaelG.
Last edited by MichaelG. on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:35 pm

In a dark field image you often have small light areas and big dark areas. The metering of the camera is irritated by this and tries to get the dark areas medium grey. The exposure time is set by the number of images per second and the aperture is set. So it has to use the ISO setting to get the image lighter. You might try exposure compensation towards a darker image.

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:41 pm

MicroBob wrote:In a dark field image you often have small light areas and big dark areas. The metering of the camera is irritated by this and tries to get the dark areas medium grey.
Excellent point, Bob
Spot [or at least 'small area'] metering would be a great help, but I am not familiar with the camera.

MichaelG.
Edit: I've just checked ... Yes it has Metering mode 'Spot AF-area' available
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3300/2
Too many 'projects'