Looking for a first scope, unsure of options

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Dyl71

Looking for a first scope, unsure of options

#1 Post by Dyl71 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:30 pm

As my first post I would like to say it's great to be a part of the community.

I'm looking for a binocular scope (trinocular to record images) for myself and for the kids to aid them through middle school and high school....possibly college. I know there's not a "do everything" scope but this is what I'm after....

I would like to learn with the kids, but also use for objects like metals that don't pass light. So I suppose a metallurgical style but also would like a base to view slides. I have seen some reflected light scopes that also have a base light so I'm curious if that would work.

Would I need a polarizing setup as well as a darkfield?

My daughter loves to get out and be with nature, going down to the creek to look at samples would really excite her, she also want's to be a veterinarian.

I have looked at the Nikon Optiphot, Bushnell BH2, I really like the fact the BH2 is as plentiful as it is, thus providing options and accessories. That being said, I have also looked into the Accuscope and the AmScope but I don't know how well the latter two perform above say..400X? I was going to budget about $500 used, maybe $800 new, but after careful consideration, I want to "speculate" I can get into a nice BH2 for about $1500 with plan objectives and a reflected light source.....I don't know.

As far as the Nikon is concerned...aside from the plastic focus gear, would his be a superior scope to the BH2 or somewhat of a lateral move?

The Accuscope I was considering is the 3000 LED. http://accu-scope.com/products/3000-led ... pe-series/

The AM Scope I was considering is the: https://www.amscope.com/40x-800x-trinoc ... hts-1.html

As far as the older scopes, I understand the optics are very good, I'm not sure which models and options to look for, especially the objectives.

All input and criticism appreciated.

einman

Re: Looking for a first scope, unsure of options

#2 Post by einman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:26 pm

The accu-scope 3025, Best scope BS2080 ( https://www.amazon.com/BestScope-BS-208 ... dpSrc=srch) and the Amscope T750 are essentially the same scope.

I have the BS2080 and if you search the forum it is comparable in performance to an Olympus BX41. Although not for sale, if interested we can discuss. I listed a Leitz Diaplan on E-bay for sale. As I have more than one. Take a look and feel free to ask questions.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:40 pm

I have an Accu-Scope 3025 with Fluor objectives, several Olympus microscopes ( BH, CHA, BHTU, BHT, BHM, BHS, BX40, CK40, etc.), and several Nikon scopes (S, Labophot, Optiphot) and think they're all very good microscopes. You're on the right track. I wouldn't spend the money for a new Accu-Scope (near $2000 well equipped). You should be able to get something very good for under $500 and something near spectacular under $1000.

As mentioned to another poster, I've put a rough draft together on microscope brands and models (about 30 pages covering 50 brands and what to look for and avoid in various models). My intent is to help local parents and mentors in our "Micronaut" program end up with good scopes. Happy to send you a copy if you'll PM me with an email address. Also happy to make you and your kids a sort of remote Micronaut and share some ideas for viewing.

Being able to take digital photos adds a whole new dimension, so I'd urge you to get a microscope with a trinocular head.

Where are you located? Our local Children's Museum (Santa Cruz, CA) has a number of donated microscopes for sale (proceeds to the Museum) including a couple with both reflected and transmitted light capabilities.

Ideal setup, budget willing, might be a good stereo microscope ($200 used) and an Olympus BH/BH2 or Nikon Labophot/Optiphot for $300 to $1000 depending upon equipment.
Last edited by PeteM on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyl71

#4 Post by Dyl71 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Thank you for the link.

I suppose one other option is to go for a stereo scope so they can inspect items at a longer distance instead of preparing slides each time. Perhaps this will work better to get them started....not sure.

I want to speculate that they could utilize the 2.5X to 10X objectives in this manner as well, just more prep to view them. However working distance still comes into play....tough call...really need two scopes.. ;)

Edited to add: How necessary is phase contrast and darkfield? Is this required and will certain objectives be limited? Sorry for the basic questions but learning as quickly as I can.

Dyl71

#5 Post by Dyl71 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:23 pm

@PeteM

Sorry, I didn't see your reply, we must have responded at the same time, located in Va.

I would love to get a stereo and a compound so they will compliment each other. I was thinking of a budget of $1500 so hopefully I can get something going.

Hopefully I can get it setup before Xmas so I have some time. Having a camera setup in a trinocular fashion would be great. Also having enough light is a concern.

I appreciate the input.

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:41 pm

Dyl71 wrote: . . . Edited to add: How necessary is phase contrast and darkfield? Is this required and will certain objectives be limited? Sorry for the basic questions but learning as quickly as I can.
Phase contrast is useful for pond critters and other near-transparent specimens. It might be a $300-400 addition (used) to an Olympus, Nikon, or even AmScope microscope. That would include a phase condenser with a rotating selection of phase rings and a two or three phase contrast objectives. Your daughter might like that -- collect samples and see the jungle at micro scale.

Phase contrast objectives generally work OK for brightfield as well. I usually can't tell a difference, unless it's something like DIC where the phase rings often degrade the image.

Darkfield is usually easy and cheap to do up to about 20 to 40x (200x to 400x with 10x eyepieces) by just adding masks to the existing condenser. By partially rotating a phase condenser you can often get some pretty cool darkfield effects as well. HIgher powers will require a dedicated condenser and perhaps a high power objective with an iris or funnel stop -- and these can be somewhat harder to find and expensive.

Too bad you're not closer, we have a Nikon Optiphot with phase contrast and a trinocular head going for $595. A Labophot phase contrast for $495. With patience you might find something much like that (or its Olympus counterpart) on Ebay. There's also an Accu-Scope 3025 with a full set of infinity plan phase contrast objectives and a rudimentary DIC system. We use Reichert MicroStar IV microscopes in our group sessions and one of those with phase objectives would be another good choice.

I'd start with a stereo microscope -- you can get that before the holidays. An AmScope with fixed 10x and 20x total magnification will be under $130 or so on Amazon and OK to start. You'll want the lower (10x and 20x) rather than the higher powers. Also good, likely better depending upon condition, would be a B&L StereoZoom, a American Optical zoom or Cycloptic stereo microscopes, or either the Nikon or Olympus stereozooms if you can find one locally and are able to check it is in good shape and properly aligned.

I'm pretty sure this topic has come up before -- you might want to check the archives.

Both Olympus and Nikon have add-on reflected light systems that likely fit your budget (used: $200 stereo and $500 compound scopes, $300 phase - maybe less if you buy it to start, AND $300 reflected light head and some epi objectives = $1300 or so). Old semiconductor wafers are among the things that are cool to see under reflected light. You'll see ever smaller circuits -- almost like city blocks viewed from space -- and as Moore's "Law" suggests the smaller the circuit, the faster it is, the cheaper to make (to a point), and the less energy it uses.

Polarization is usually a cheap add-on. Images of chemical crystals and thin petrographic samples can be breathtakingly beautiful. Informative, too, in the hands of experts. One of our single image science lessons also benefits from phase contrast or polarization -- you can see the origins of life itself appear on a slide (at least according to Prof. Dave Deamer -- how cell membranes were created and how that then became a sort of lab to run zillions of protein experiments over million of years): https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -suggests/

Dyl71

#7 Post by Dyl71 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:11 pm

Just a thought, but I'm curious if going with a newer E200 would be a step backwards from an Optiphot? I don't know if the E200 is avail in a trinocular setup but only thinking of new vs. old.

Would look for phase on one objective...maybe 4OX, as well as a brightfield/darkfield setup.

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 pm

One plus for the E200 is that the objectives have a longer working distance. The regular infinity Plan Achromats are pretty nice.

However, for I think you're better off with something like a Nikon Optiphot for the following reasons:
- More affordable, despite being the top of the Nikon line at one point.
- Brighter light, adjustable stage, removable nosepiece (it sounds like you want a set of phase AND a set of zero cover epi objectives: two nosepieces)
- Much easier to affordably adapt to phase, polarization, brightfield, darkfield, and epi -- you'll be into several thousands to do that starting with an E200
- Optiphot was made in Japan, nicer build quality (if the fine focus gear is OK or replaced). E200 is now made in China.
- Availability of phase, fluor, and even apo objectives without spending hundreds to thousands each
- Zero compatibility of Nikon 60mm parfocal 25mm thread infinity objectives with other and after-market brands
- With a couple kids -- if there's interest -- there may be more than one scope purchase in your future