Care and feeding of protozoa zoo?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Jkelley1000

Care and feeding of protozoa zoo?

#1 Post by Jkelley1000 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:58 am

Does anybody have some words of wisdom or links to resources regarding keeping a stagnant water aquarium year round? I gathered some river water and kept it in a 1 gal, lighted aquarium (with aeration) but it just kinda flopped. I bought some live duck weed and threw it in. No duck weed, no more! Hahahaha
Please kindly advise,
Jimmy

mnmyco

Re: Care and feeding of protozoa zoo?

#2 Post by mnmyco » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:56 pm

Duck weed needs lots of nitrogen. I use some limestone or clam shells to help buffer the water's pH, and add either soil or a tiny amount of fertilizer. I good general book that I like is:

A Sourcebook for the Biological Sciences.
https://www.amazon.com/Sourcebook-Biolo ... 0155828525

Basically, I make a minipond. Few limestone pieces and a layer of muck I take from a pond and then pond water. I add some green algae and plants if I can find some. I have never had to bother with aeration this way, but I do keep it under lights. Fun to watch the little worms come up from the soil and filter feed.

mnmyco

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi Jimmy,
I found a good method for this:
First layer 2cm garden earth (I bought a sack in a DIY market)
Make it wet with pond water
Put a paper kitchen towel over the whole surface
Second layer 2cm 2-5mm gravel
Add more pond water
Poke aquarium plants into the gravel (I used a big lot of plants and it worked well)
Fill up with pond water (use a cup to avoid too much water movement)
Put it in a light place (Mine: Hamburg, facing West in a bay window)

There is little care necessary just fill up with rain water or water from an air dehumidifier.
A little hay, some drops of low fat milk, some crushed rice can be added sparingly.
In the summer I had to put an air pump into action.

Bob

Jkelley1000

#4 Post by Jkelley1000 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:00 am

Thanks to both of you for the great tips. I will try them. You probably know that "ecosphere" deals with similar aquariums - mostly closed.
Also, a paludarium is a new term I searched and found very cool terrarium/aquarium combos.
Thanks again, very cool to have a brain trust willing to help!